Washington State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Washington State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits- Washington

Information for this document was gathered from various sources including: https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/washington-state-veterans-benefits.html

Visit the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs website for more detailed information: https://www.dva.wa.gov/

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit: https://nasvh.org/directory/washington/

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:


       Port Orchard, Washington


       Orting, Washington


       Walla Walla, Washington


        Spokane, Washington


  • Served at any time, in any branch of the United States Armed Forces, including the National Guard
  • Received an honorable discharge
  • Reside in Washington State
  • Be the spouse or widow/widower of an eligible veteran
  • Be a Gold Star Parent

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit: https://www.cem.va.gov/find-cemetery/state.asp?STATE=WA

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Fort Lawton Post Cemetery
Texas Way
Seattle, WA 98199

Burial Space: Closed

Fort Worden Post Cemetery
1300-1398 W St
Port Townsend, WA 98368

Burial Space: Cremation Only

Tahoma National Cemetery
18600 SE 240th Street
Kent, WA 98042

Burial Space: Open

Vancouver Barracks National Cemetery
1455 E 4th Plain Blvd.
Vancouver, WA 98663

Burial Space: Cremation Only


State Veterans Cemeteries:

Washington State Veterans Cemetery in Medical Lake
21702 W Espanola Rd
Medical Lake, WA 99022

VA Grant Funded: Yes

Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Washington Veteran Financial Benefits

Washington Income Taxes

There are no individual income taxes in Washington. Distributions received from the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) are not taxed.

Disabled Veteran Property Tax Exemption

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.dva.wa.gov/veterans-their-families/veterans-benefits/housing-resources/property-tax-relief

In the state of Washington, disabled veterans may qualify for a property tax exemption provided they meet certain criteria. Here’s a comprehensive overview of the Disabled Veteran Property

Tax Exemption in Washington:

Eligibility Criteria:

  1. Residency: The veteran must be a resident of Washington State.
  2. Service-connected Disability: The veteran must have a service-connected disability rated at 80% by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), or be receiving 100% compensation due to individual unemployability.
  3. Age: You may qualify if you are over the age of 61.
  4. Ownership: The veteran must own and occupy the property as their primary residence.


  • Exemption: The property tax exemption provides relief from paying property taxes on the veteran’s primary residence up to a specified assessed value.

Application Process:

  1. Application Form: The veteran must complete and submit the Disabled Veteran Property Tax Exemption application form to the County Assessor’s Office.
  2. Supporting Documentation: Along with the application, the veteran must provide documentation verifying their eligibility, such as:
    • Proof of residency in Washington State.
    • Documentation of the 80% or higher service-connected disability rating from the VA.
    • Proof of property ownership and occupancy.
  3. Deadline: The application must be submitted annually, typically by April 30th of each year.


  • The exemption must be renewed annually. Veterans must reapply each year and provide updated documentation if necessary.

Additional Information:

  • Income Limitation: There may be income limitations for eligibility. Veterans are advised to check with their County Assessor’s Office for specific details.
  • Spousal Benefit: In some cases, the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran may be eligible for this exemption.
  • Appeals Process: If the application is denied, veterans have the right to appeal the decision.
  • County Variations: It’s essential to note that certain aspects of the exemption, such as the maximum assessed value covered and application procedures, may vary by county.

Additional Programs you may be eligible for:

Contact Information:

Veterans seeking further information or assistance with the Disabled Veteran Property Tax Exemption in Washington State can contact their local County Assessor’s Office or the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs.

Find your local tax assessor at this link: https://www.publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Assessor-and-Property-Tax-Records.htm

Remember, this information is a general overview, and it’s recommended to consult with the relevant authorities or legal experts for personalized guidance regarding eligibility and application processes.

Veterans Downpayment Assistance Loan Program

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.wshfc.org/buyers/keyveterans.htm

Veterans Downpayment Assistance Loan program is a downpayment assistance, second mortgage loan program with a 3.00% interest rate and payments deferred for up to 30 years for Washington State veterans who have served our country. This program combines with the Home Advantage or House Key first mortgage loan program.


  • Persons receiving an honorable discharge or who have received a discharge for medical reasons with an honorable record;
  • Members and honorably discharged former members of the Washington National Guard and Reserve; and
  • Never remarried spouses and dependent children of deceased Veterans.
  • Borrowers must be first-time homebuyers or buying in a target area. Borrowers must qualify for one of the Commission’s first mortgage loan programs.


  • King/Snohomish $147,400
  • All Other Counties $115,900

Borrowers must attend a Commission-sponsored homebuyer seminar prior to reserving funds.  Cash back to borrowers is not allowed.


Eligible households may qualify for a maximum loan amount of up to $10,000.  A participating loan officer can help you determine an acquisition price you can afford, how much cash you will need to close, and how much you can borrow on a Veterans loan.


See Premier Participating Lenders who have been helpful to first-time homebuyers. Your Lender will help you determine if this downpayment assistance program is the best fit. You may want to consider the Home Advantage Needs Based Option.

Financial Assistance

Visit the following website for links to each counties resource center: https://www.dva.wa.gov/node/1383

Most counties have financial assistance programs available for military and veteran families. Because of the specificity of each program in each county, we recommend you contact your local county branch to see what they have to offer.

Disabled Veteran License Plate

Visit the following website for more information: https://dol.wa.gov/vehicles-and-boats/license-plates/get-custom-plates/special-design-plates/disabled-american-veteran

You may qualify for Disabled American Veteran plates, which are exempt from license fees on 1 vehicle per year. These plates are good for the life of the veteran.


If you’re a WA state vehicle owner who served in any branch of the US armed forces, Reserves, or National Guard and:

  • Had an honorable discharge or a medical honorable discharge,
  • Have been rated by the Veterans Administration or military service, and
  • Are receiving 100% service-connected compensation expected to last for more than 1 year.

How to Apply:

Get a letter of eligibility from VA verifying a 100% service-connected disability.

Mail the letter of eligibility and Military License Plate Application to:

Special Plate Unit, Dept of Licensing
PO Box 9909 Olympia,
WA 98507-8500


  • Check the box for Disabled American Veteran plates or Disabled American Veteran tabs.
  • Be sure to sign and date the form.
  • Payment for any applicable fees.

Update your Good To Go! account, if needed:

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:

Renew your plates, if applicable:

You’re not required to renew your Disabled American Veteran license plates or tabs when you choose the next available plate in the series for 1 vehicle. You must renew your plates every year if you choose to have a special background for your plates.

Armed Forces License Plates/ Gold Star License Plate

Visit http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/spmilitary.html for information on initial and renewal plate fees.

Link to: Application

The Washington Department of Licensing issues license plates to eligible veterans, military, and family members.

There are six separate designs, each containing a symbol representing a different branch of the armed forces to include Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and WA National Guard.

The special license plates may be used in place of regular or personalized license plates for motor vehicles, including motorcycles, required to display one and two motor vehicle license plates.

$28 from the purchase and renewal of each plate is directed to the Veterans Stewardship Account and is tax deductible.


You are eligible to purchase a plate at any Vehicle Licensing Office if you:

  • Served at any time in the U.S. Military
  • Are currently on active-duty
  • Served in the Guard or Reserves
  • Currently in the Guard or Reserves
  • Are a Family Member of those listed above.

*Motorcycle and trailer plates are also available.

Gold Star License Plate

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.dva.wa.gov/veterans-their-families/veterans-benefits/license-plates/gold-star-plate

A Gold Star License Plate is also available to certain family members. Certain eligible family members will not pay any license fees for this plate.

These plates honor parents, spouses, children, and siblings of military men and women who lost their lives in service to our Country.


To qualify for Gold Star license plates, you must be certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as being 1 of the following to a United States armed forces member who died while in the service, or because of their service:

  • Widow or widower (If the servicemember died because of their service, please include verification such as eligibility for DIC, or other documentation which identifies a service-connected disability as the cause of death. Call 1-800-562-2308 if you have questions or need assistance.)
  • Birth mother or birth father
  • Stepmother or stepfather
  • Mother or father through adoption (Additional documentation required.)
  • Adult who fulfilled the parental role, such as foster parent, kinship care provider, or caretaker relative. (Additional documentation required.)
  • Biological child
  • Adopted child
  • Sibling

How to Apply:

  • Request a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying you are eligible for a Gold Star License Plate.
  • Take the letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs, a Military License Plate Application, a copy of your vehicle registration, and any applicable fees to a vehicle licensing office.


  • Mail them to:
    Vehicle Licensing
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9909
    Olympia, WA 98507-8500

Washington State Veteran Education Benefits

Washington offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list: https://www.dva.wa.gov/veterans-service-members-and-their-families/veterans-benefits/education-and-training

Tuition Waiver for Veterans

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.dva.wa.gov/veterans-service-members-and-their-families/veterans-benefits/education-and-training

The State Legislature has authorized state community colleges, colleges and universities to waive ‘all or a portion of tuition and fees’ for eligible veterans or national guard members.

Free Tuition for Dependents

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.dva.wa.gov/veterans-service-members-and-their-families/veterans-benefits/education-and-training

State community colleges, colleges, and universities are mandated by the Legislature to waive undergraduate full or part-time tuition and fees for eligible dependents of eligible veterans or National Guard members, up to 200 quarter credits or equivalent semester credits.

Key Points:

  • Eligibility: Dependents include children, spouses/domestic partners, or surviving spouses/domestic partners of eligible veterans or National Guard members who meet specific criteria.
  • Fees: Waivers cover all assessments necessary for a student’s participation in coursework and related activities.
  • Continued Participation: Dependent’s continued eligibility depends on the school’s satisfactory progress policy.
  • Private Institutions: Private vocational schools and higher education institutions are
    encouraged to offer tuition waivers.

Eligible Dependents:

  • Child and spouse/domestic partner or surviving spouse/domestic partner of an eligible veteran or National Guard member who:
    • Became totally disabled due to active federal military or naval service.
    • Was determined by the federal government to be a prisoner of war or missing in action.
    • Lost their life due to active federal military or naval service.
  • Child or surviving spouse/domestic partner must be a Washington domiciliary.

Eligibility Timeframes:

  • Child must be between 17 and 26 years old, regardless of marital status.
  • Surviving spouse/domestic partner has ten years from the date of the veteran’s death or disability to receive benefits.
  • Upon remarriage or registration in a subsequent domestic partnership, the surviving spouse/domestic partner becomes ineligible.
  • Book Stipend: Recipients may receive a stipend for textbooks and course materials if funds are appropriated by the legislature.

Required Documents:

  • Documentation proving the dependent’s relationship to the eligible veteran or National Guard member.
  • Proof of the veteran’s status and eligibility, such as military service records or official documents.
  • Documentation establishing Washington domicile for the dependent.

By meeting these criteria and providing necessary documentation, eligible dependents can benefit from tuition waivers and additional stipends for academic materials.

High School Diplomas “Operation Recognition”

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.dva.wa.gov/veterans-their-families/veterans-benefits/education-and-training/operation-recognition

To honor their sacrifices, the Washington State Legislature passed three bills to award high school diplomas to veterans of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. “Operation Recognition” is now underway in school districts to grant diplomas to eligible veterans, expressing our society’s long-overdue gratitude for their service.


Veterans who left high school to join the military during WWII, Korea, or Vietnam* are eligible to receive a high school diploma if the veteran:

  • Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States;
  • Was scheduled to graduate from high school; and
  • Left high school before graduation to serve in the War.

Veterans who received a GED are still eligible to receive a high school diploma. Diplomas can be awarded posthumously.

* The Vietnam Era includes the period beginning on February 28, 1961, and ending on May 7, 1975, in the case of a veteran who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period and the period beginning August 5, 1964, and ending on May 7, 1975, for all other veterans.

How to Apply:

  • The application and honorable discharge information should be mailed to the high school the veteran or their family member is requesting the diploma from.  (Veterans may apply either to the high school they would have graduated from, a high school in their local community, or a high school to which they have ties.)
  • The law gives school districts the option of participating in this program.

Washington Veteran Employment Benefits

Veteran Owned Business Certification

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.dva.wa.gov/veterans-service-members-and-their-families/veteran-owned-businesses

Washington state veterans are encouraged to apply for a certification for their business if they desire to do business with Washington State agencies or municipalities.

Washington State agencies have been asked by Governor Inslee to do 5% of their purchasing from Veteran or Servicemember Owned Businesses.

By completing this process, your Veteran or Servicemember Owned Business can gain recognition, access opportunities for government contracts, and contribute to the state’s purchasing goals while serving your community.

To certify your business as a Washington Veteran Owned Business, follow these steps:

  1. Register Your Business: First, register your business in WEBS (Washington’s Electronic Business Solution).
  2. Gather Certification Documentation:
    • Proof of Honorable Veteran Status: Provide a copy of one of the following items
      (redacted for sensitive information):
      • DD214 member 4 copy
      • Retired VA ID Card
      • Retirement Certificate
      • Discharge Certificate
      • Military ID, badge, or recent pay statement (if currently serving)
    • Proof of 51% Ownership: Submit a copy of one of the following items:
      • Master Business application
      • Business plan
      • Operating agreement
      • Meeting minutes
      • Shares report
      • Stock certificate breakdown
      • Tax forms showing ownership %
      • Business license (for sole proprietorship)
    • Proof of Washington State Enterprise: Demonstrate that the business is incorporated in Washington or has its principal place of business within the state.
  3. Submit Certification Documentation:
    • Email documents to vob@dva.wa.gov
    • Or mail documents to WDVA Business Registry, PO Box 41150, Olympia, WA 98504-1150.
  4. Benefits of Certification:
    • Visibility: Certified businesses will be listed on the WDVA website and searchable on WEBS.
    • State Purchasing: Washington State agencies aim to do 5% of their purchasing from Veteran or Servicemember Owned Businesses.
    • Community Access: Private businesses and citizens can easily access your business information through the WDVA Certified Business list.

If you have any questions, contact vob@dva.wa.gov for assistance.

Veterans’ Hiring Preference

Visit the following website for more information: https://careers.wa.gov/veteranspreferences.html



Washington State offers preferences to veterans in state employment, granting them advantages in competitive and non-competitive service.

Competitive Service:

  • Examination Preference: Employers must give preference to veterans by adding veterans’ scoring criteria to examination scores. This is defined as a percentage added to passing examination scores for honorably discharged and disabled veterans.
    • Ten percent preference for veterans who served during a period of war or armed conflict and don’t receive military retirement.
    • Five percent preference for veterans who didn’t serve during a period of war, or armed conflict, or receive military retirement.
    • Five percent preference for veterans called to active duty while employed with the state or its subdivisions.

Non-Competitive Service:

  • Referral Preference: If no examination is conducted, eligible veterans, surviving spouses, or registered domestic partners may be referred to employing officials under certain conditions.

Required Documentation:

  • Proof of military service, including periods served and discharge status.
  • For examination preference, veterans should claim their scoring criteria upon release from active duty or upon receiving honorable discharge orders.
  • Ensure to accurately answer questions related to military service when completing profiles and submitting applications.

By utilizing these preferences, veterans can enhance their opportunities for state employment.

Military Service Credit

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.drs.wa.gov/plan/pers1/#years-of-service

State employees who participate in the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems (DRS) who leave their state employment to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces may be eligible to receive up to 10 years of service credit for the time they served. This service credit is called interruptive military service credit. Service credit is one of the factors used in computing state retirement pay, increasing service credit would increase future retirement benefits.

To recover military service credit through the DRS (Department of Retirement Systems), follow these steps:


  1. Deadline Awareness:
    • Be aware that you must complete payment for the military service credit within five years of returning to DRS-covered employment or before retirement, whichever comes first.
  2. Cost Consideration:
    • Understand that after the deadline, you may still purchase the service credit, but at a much higher cost.
  3. Determining Eligibility:
    • Determine if you qualify for no-cost service credit, especially if your military service was during a period of war or armed conflict.
  4. Optional Bill:
    • If your military service doesn’t qualify for no-cost service credit, be prepared to receive an optional bill for retirement contributions you would have paid during that time.
  5. Timely Application:
    • Apply to recover military service credit about a month and a half after returning to work.
    • Contact DRS to inquire about the process and submit necessary information, such as a copy of your DD214 service record, to determine eligibility.
  6. Review and Notification:
    • DRS will review your account and the information provided.
    • Expect notification of findings, including an optional bill if applicable, usually within 2-3 weeks.

Required Documents:

  • Copy of DD214 service record.
  • Any additional documentation requested by DRS to support your application.

Additional Options:

  • Annuity Purchase:
    • Explore annuity purchase options offered by DRS to increase your monthly pension amount, depending on available funds.

Military Commercial Driver’s License Skills Test Waiver

Visit the following website for more information: https://dol.wa.gov/driver-licenses-and-permits/commercial-driver-licenses-cdl/cdl-training-and-testing/commercial-driver-license-cdl-military-experience-waiver

Veterans seeking a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) may get a waiver of the skills test if they are currently licensed and operated a CDL in the last 90 days as a part of their military duties.

The written test can’t be waived.


You qualify for a military experience waiver if you:

  • Are a Washington resident,
  • Have 2+ years’ experience driving commercial vehicles as part of their military job, and
  • Meet all requirements on the Application for Military Skills Test Waiver.

and are:

  • Currently active, or
  • within 12 months of an honorable discharge

How to apply:

  1. Complete the application below that applies to you. Take it to your Commanding Officer to finish and sign.
  2. Submit the following to cdlcompliance@dol.wa.gov for approval:
    • The completed waiver application signed by your commanding officer.
    • Copy of your DD214, NGB22, or equivalent document with your:
      • Discharge date or current active status.
      • 2 years military driving experience from your Motor Vehicle Operator’s ID Card. It must list the type of equipment you drove:
        • Air Force – 2293
        • Army – 348
        • Army/National Guard – 5984-E
        • Marines – 7540-00-634-3999
      • You can use your current military ID to provide active status, but not for driving experience.
      • You’ll receive a follow-up email letting you know if we approved or denied your waiver.
  3. Make an appointment to visit a driver licensing office location. Bring the following:
  4. Pay fees to have CDL issued.

Washington Veteran Recreation Benefits

Disabled Veteran Hunting & Fishing Licenses

For more information visit  https://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/eligibility-requirements-veterans-reduced-fees or contact Department of Fish and Wildlife at (360) 902-2464 or licensing@dfw.wa.gov.

The Department of Fish and Wildlife encourages all persons to experience recreation in Washington’s wonderful outdoors.


The following are eligible for a combination fishing license and/or hunting license(s). These licenses are issued at a discounted rate.  See Disability Fee Schedule.

  • Resident veterans with honorable discharge with at least 30% service-connected disability as verified by VA letter
  • Resident veterans with honorable discharge who are 65 years of age or older with a service-connected disability as verified by VA letter
  • Resident who permanently uses a wheelchair as certified by the doctor
  • Resident who is blind or visually impaired
  • Resident with a developmental disability as determined by DSHS authority or physicians signature

License/Permit Eligibility Requirements for People with Disabilities and Veterans: Don’t let your service-connected disability prevent you from enjoying WA State’s hunting and fishing opportunities! If your disability meets WDFW guidelines you may be eligible to have a designated companion assist in hunting or fishing and access special hunting and fishing areas.

Active-Duty Hunting & Fishing Licenses

Active-duty members stationed in Washington can buy hunting & fishing licenses at the resident rate.

State Parks Disabled Veteran Lifetime Pass

Visit the following website for more information: https://parks.wa.gov/passes-permits/get-park-pass/lifetime-disabled-veteran-pass

The Lifetime Disabled Veterans pass is offered to veterans who are Washinton state residents with at least 30% disability.

Pass Benefits:

  • Enjoy free day-use parking, boat launches, and trailer dump at all state parks.
  • Camp or moor overnight for free without reservation fees.

Please note:

  • This pass does not replace a Discover Pass for lands managed by the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife or Department of Natural Resources.
  • Download the Discount Pass Program brochure for more information.

How to Apply:

  • Download the Disabled Veteran pass application or request an application by calling (360) 902-8844 or using the Washington Telecommunication Relay Service at (800) 833-6388.
  • Provide proof of Washington state residency for at least 3 consecutive months, such as a valid Washington state driver license or ID card, voter registration card, or senior citizen property tax exemption.
  • Submit a VA award letter dated within the last 2 years, showing a combined service-connected disability rating of 30% or greater.

Submit Your Application:

  • Mail to Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission at P.O. Box 42650, Olympia, WA 98504.
  • Fax: (360) 586-6640.
  • Email: passes@parks.wa.gov

Discount Pass Rules:

  • Pass holders should not alter or share their pass.
  • Cancel reservations if unable to use them.
  • Pass holder must be present at the campsite to receive a discount and must have the pass with them.
  • Camping and moorage discounts are limited to one site per night.
  • Follow Park rules and staff guidance to maintain pass benefits.

Violation of rules may lead to suspension or revocation of pass benefits.

Additional Benefits

Veterans Transitional Housing Program

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.dva.wa.gov/veterans-their-families/veterans-benefits/housing-resources/veterans-transitional-housing-program

Transitional housing facilities in Port Orchard and Orting help those in need with stable housing, vocational rehabilitation, and employment. Veterans are surrounded with staff and wrap-around services that lead to successful program completion and return to the community.

Eligibility: To participate in the program, veterans must:

  • Have served in any branch of the US Armed Forces
  • Have received an Honorable or General Under Honorable Discharge
    • (OTH discharged veterans are eligible on a case-by-case basis)
  • Been homeless for one or more nights
  • Desire to lead a clean and sober lifestyle
  • Desire to make meaningful life changes leading to independent living
  • Be willing to undergo criminal background check

Women Veterans Wing and Building

The Women Veterans Wing at Orting provides dedicated services for women veterans, including privacy and security.

How to Apply:

Request a referral from the Federal VA Medical Center Homeless Liaison Officer at (253) 583-2825.

To Apply fill out both of the following: