National Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

National Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% National Benefits

NOTE: You have 1 year from date of decision to establish dependency for the dependency rate to backdate

  • Be sure the VA has your current dependency status on record by completing the 686c available at the following website: From 21.686c
  • or updating your account: Dependent Compensation

Before applying for any of these benefits you will need to obtain your Summary of Benefits Letter from the VA. This document is mailed out annually at the beginning of the year. You will bring this document with you to obtain the following benefits.

To obtain a copy of your Summary of Benefits Letter, you can:

  • To access this resource, you will need a DS Login, or you can register though the eBenefits website.
  • To find the Summary of Benefits Letter, go to: Manage – Documents and Records – VA Letters – Benefit Summary – Generate Letter



  • Go to VA Medical Center or Regional Office and an employee can produce one.


NOTE: For the items that require a visit to the VA or an active-duty Base, please call the offices/departments you wish to visit ahead of time to learn of any special instructions for in-person visits.

Visit the healthcare facility and request your VA Healthcare ID Card.
Eligibility: Enrolled in VA health care system
Bring: Summary of Benefits Letter and ID
Card Uses:

  • Check in to your appointments at VA medical centers.
  • To get discounts offered to Veterans at many stores, businesses, and restaurants
  • If you have a VHIC, you do not need to request another type of photo ID card to prove you are a Veteran or to get retail or business discounts.


You may be eligible for reimbursement for your out-of-pocket healthcare costs.
Steps to take:

  • Call or visit the VA Medical Center’s eligibility/finance office with your Summary of Benefits letter and ask them if you can be reimbursed for your medical costs.
  • You should do this as soon as possible.

TRANSPORTATION REIMBURSEMENT (60% rating or greater) (obtained at VA)

Visit the link for more information:
Steps to take:

  • Call or visit the travel office at your VA Medical Center and ask if you can be reimbursed for your past transportation for your VA Medical Office visits.
  • Apply within 3 months of decision date.
  • NOTE: this only applies if you receive your treatment at VA Medical Centers
  • Any time you travel to the VA Medical Center, tell the secretary you check in with that you are eligible for mileage reimbursement.
  • You will receive a check in the mail after traveling to VA medical centers.


You are now eligible for VA dental coverage (if rated permanent and total or compensable dental condition of 10% or more).

Steps to take:

  • Call the Dental Office at you VA Medical Center to schedule an examination to get into the dental program.

U.S. Department of Defense / Uniformed Services Sponsor Identification and Privilege Card (obtained on Active-Duty Base at the DEERS office)

Resource link:
Card Benefits: Military ID Cards provide access to many services and benefits such as Tricare, legal assistance, education benefits, use of Morale and Welfare Activities (MWR), commissaries, exchanges and of course discounts at many restaurants and stores. Also grants access to bases nationwide.
Eligibility: Veteran their dependents.
How to obtain ID: Do a web-search for base nearest to you with a DEERS office.
Link to locating DEERS office nearest you:
Call the DEERS office ahead of time. Often hours are limited for Veterans ID cards.

  • Example: Battle Creek Air National Guard Base only allows Veteran Military IDs to be produced on Wednesdays only.

Documents needed:
Each DEERS office seems to have slightly different requirements, but this is a general list of what to expect.
Veteran: Form of ID, Summary of Benefits Letter.
Dependents: Bring Marriage license plus 2 forms of ID (Examples: Driver’s license, Birth certificate, Social Security card, Real ID)


How to apply:
1. Special Adapted Housing (SAH)
You may be able to get an SAH grant if you’re using the grant money to buy, build, or change your permanent home (a home you plan to live in for a long time) and you meet both of the requirements listed below.

  • Own or will own the home, and
  • Have a qualifying service-connected disability (examples: loss or loss of use of more than one limb, Blindness in both eyes, certain severe burns.

Current grant offered: up to $100,896 for FY 2021.

Note: Only 120 Veterans and service members each fiscal year (FY) can qualify for a grant based on the loss of one extremity after September 11, 2001, as set by Congress. A fiscal year runs from October 1 through September 30. If you qualify for, but don’t receive, a grant in the current fiscal year because the cap has already been reached, you may be able to use this benefit in future years.

2. Special Home Adaptation (SHA)
You may be able to get an SHA grant if you’re using the grant money to buy, build, or change your permanent home (a home you plan to live in for a long time) and you meet both of the requirements listed below.


  • You or a family member own or will own the home, and
  • You have a qualifying service-connected disability

Qualifying service-connected disabilities include:

  • The loss or loss of use of both hands
  • Certain severe burns
  • Certain respiratory or breathing injuries

Current grant offered: up to $20,215 for FY 2021.

Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA)

You may be able to get a Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grant if you meet both of the requirements listed below.


  • Qualify for an SAH or SHA grant (see above), and
  • Are living temporarily in a family member’s home that needs changes to meet your needs. (To use a TRA grant, you don’t have to own the house.)

Current grant offered:

  • If you qualify for an SAH grant, you can get up to $40,637 through the TRA grant program for FY 2021.
  • If you qualify for an SHA grant, you can get up to $7,256 through the TRA grant program for FY 2021.

Automobile Allowance and Adaptive Equipment

Link to more information and application:

The VA may provide a one-time payment of not more than $21,488.29 to help you buy a specially equipped vehicle.

In some situations, one or more adaptive-equipment grants to change a vehicle so it has features like power steering, brakes, seats, windows, or lift equipment to help you get into and out of the vehicle

You must already be service-connected for these conditions before purchasing a vehicle to receive the payment.

The VA may grant the money directly to the veteran OR they may pay the equipment seller directly.


  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of 1 or both feet, or
  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of 1 or both hands, or
  • Permanent decreased vision in both eyes: 20/200 vision or less in your better eye with glasses, or greater than 20/200 vision but with a visual field defect that has reduced your peripheral vision to 20 degrees or less in your better eye, or
  • A severe burn injury, or
  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or
  • Ankylosis in 1 or both knees or hips (Note: This qualifies you for an adaptive-equipment grant only)

Clothing Allowance

Link to information:
Link to Application:

If your clothing has been damaged by your prosthetic or orthopedic device (such as a wheelchair) or by the medicine you’re taking for a skin condition, you may be able to get money each year to help you buy new clothes. This is a disability compensation benefit known as an annual clothing allowance.

Both of these must be true:

  • Your prosthetic or orthopedic device or your skin medicine causes damage to your clothes, and
  • You need this device or skin medicine because of an injury or illness related to your military service (called a service-connected condition)

This is a one-time payment OR a yearly payment.
You may be able to get more than one payment if you meet at least one of the requirements listed below.
At least one of these must be true:

  • You have more than one prosthetic or orthopedic device, or
  • You have more than one skin medicine, and/or
  • Your device or skin medicine affects more than one type of clothing.
  • To get your yearly payment, you’ll need to qualify by August 1 of that year.

Note: If you qualify, you’ll receive payments between September 1 and October 31.

Steps to take:
Bring the completed application and your Summary of Benefits letter to the prosthetic representative at your local VA medical center prior to August 1st annually.



Resource Link: 
Your spouse and dependents will be eligible for ChampVA healthcare.
Dependents eligible up to age 18. Unless dependent is a full-time student, then the age increases to 23.
CHAMPVA is similar to TriCare, just administered by the VA.

NOTE: Medicare status has an impact on your eligibility for CHAMPVA benefits. These requirements are outlined in the CHAMPVA Program Guide available at this link: Download the CHAMPVA Program Guide (PDF)

Prescription coverage options are available with specific eligibility for each:

  • Meds by Mail (MbM): A pharmacy mailing service that provides a safe and easy way for eligible CHAMPVA beneficiaries to receive nonurgent maintenance medications delivered directly to their homes at no charge.
  • OptumRx: Provides a retail network of 66,000 pharmacies across the United States and U.S. Territories
  • Nonnetwork Retail Pharmacy: A pharmacy that is not part of our OptumRx network most likely will ask you to pay the full amount of the prescription. In that case, you will need to request reimbursement from us by submitting a CHAMPVA Claim Form (VA Form 10-7959a) and the itemized pharmacy statement.

NOTE: There is a possibility of reimbursement for a dependent’s private healthcare costs dating back to the award date of 100% P&T Status.
Link to application for CHAMPVA:


Resource Link:
Delta dental offers low rates on family dental plans for dependents.
The Veteran’s dental care is provided through the VA



Your spouse and dependents are eligible for college tuition. If they want to go to school again or take a course in something, the VA will pay based on the type of schooling.

Reimbursement program paid directly to the dependent for use on:

  • College or graduate degree programs
  • Career-training certificate courses
  • Educational and career counseling
  • Apprenticeships
  • On-the-job training

You may receive DEA or dependent rate, but not both.

  • DEA is best for 100% P&T
  • Sum is paid directly to the dependent


  • Spouse is eligible for 10 years from the date of decision letter. (If the spouse becomes an active-duty service member, the date is deferred.)
  • Surviving spouses can avail themselves of both DEA and DIC programs.
  • Dependents age 18-26 (If dependent serves as an active-duty service member, the date is deferred.)


  • 36 months (full time student) at $1,298.00/month. (annual increases go into effect Oct. 1 of each year)
  • There is no penalty if the student drops out.

Online Application for DEA (equivalent to Form 22-5490) is at the following link:

  • Follow the link that says: Start your application without signing in
  • The form will ask you for an Effective Date: err on the side of caution and enter a date a decade earlier than your effective date for 100% P&T rating.
  • Complete the form and submit. Typically, a decision is made within 30 days. If approved, you will receive a certification letter in the mail. The certification can then be submitted to the school.

If 100% rating occurs with a backdate that would include previous schooling, DEA benefits can be paid retroactively up to 1 year.

On a case-by-case basis, DEA can be paid retroactively up to 3 years.

Be sure to Update the VA of any changes in dependency with the following form: Dependency Form 21-686c:

  • If you do not know Date and location, give best guess.
  • If dependent lives with you ½ the time, choose lives with you.

Request for Approval of School Attendance – Form 21-674:

  • Should be filed if child is 18+

The following link is to a document that the school will need AFTER the Form 22-5490 has been approved:


Resource Link:
There are also several supplemental programs/ scholarship programs listed on this site that may be useful.


As of 2018 to 2025-Veterans with P&T disability rating are eligible for student loan relief.

  • have a service-connected disability that is 100 percent disabling.
  • totally disabled based on an individual unemployability rating.

Information link:
Application Link:
Documents needed:

  • You will need your FSA ID and Login information
  • If you need help obtaining ID, contact the help team
  • Once completed, submit to your Federal Loan Servicer
  • You should receive a decision in about 1 Month.
  • Watch your email for information from you Federal Loan Servicer

NOTE: The forgiven debt will not be treated as income.


(current rate: $1,357.56/ month Effective December 1, 2020)
Resource Link:

Your spouse will be eligible for Death Indemnity Compensation if you predecease them by reason of your service-connected disability or if you have had a 100 percent evaluation for 10 years or more.

If that were to occur, be sure your spouse has our contact information, and we will help your spouse submit the application.

Application Link: Download VA Form 21P-534EZ (PDF)


You may be eligible for a low-cost life insurance policy if you meet all the requirements listed below.
Eligibility: All of these must be true. You:

  • Were released from active duty on or after April 25, 1951, and did not receive a dishonorable discharge, and
  • Were rated for a service-connected disability (even if only 0%), and
  • Are in good health except for any service-connected conditions, and
  • Apply within 2 years from the date we grant your new service-connected disability

Note: An increase of a rating you had before—or a rating of Individual Unemployability, meaning you cannot work—does not qualify you for S-DVI.
You can receive:

  • Up to $10,000 of coverage
  • Up to $30,000 of supplemental coverage

Link to information about Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance (S-DVI)
Link to S-DVI Life Insurance Policy Application


TSGLI (also known as Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection) provides short-term financial support to help eligible service members recover from a severe injury. If you were covered by SGLI and experienced a traumatic injury while serving in the military, find out how to file a claim for TSGLI or appeal a past decision.

Eligibility: You may be eligible for TSGLI if you were insured by SGLI when you experienced a traumatic injury, and you meet all of the requirements listed below.
All of these must be true. You:

  • Have a scheduled loss that is a direct result of the traumatic injury, and
  • Suffered the traumatic injury before midnight on the day that you left the military, and
  • Suffered a scheduled loss within 2 years (730 days) of the traumatic injury, and
  • Have survived for a period of not less than 7 full days from the date of the traumatic injury (the 7-day period begins on the date and time of the traumatic injury and ends 168 full hours later), and
  • Were an active-duty military member, a Reservist, a National Guard member, on funeral-honors duty, or on 1-day muster duty

Are any injuries excluded from TSGLI? Yes. To qualify for TSGLI, none of the descriptions below can be true of your injury.
None of these can be true. Your injury can’t:

  • Be self-inflicted on purpose or the result of an attempt at self-injury, or
  • Involve the use of an illegal drug or a controlled substance that was given or taken without the advice of a medical doctor, or
  • Be the result of medical or surgical treatment of an illness or disease, or
  • Occur while you’re committing or trying to commit a felony, or
  • Be the result of a physical or mental illness or disease (not including illness or disease caused by a wound infection; a chemical, biological, or radiological weapon; or accidentally swallowing a contaminated substance)
  • View TSGLI loss standards

Can I get retroactive TSGLI for a past injury?
You may be able to get retroactive TSGLI (meaning that it takes effect starting from a date in the past) if you were injured between October 7, 2001, and November 30, 2005, and you meet all of the TSGLI qualifications listed above.
You can use this benefit no matter where the injury happened—whether you were on or off duty—and no matter if your SGLI coverage was in effect when you got injured.
Note: We’ve removed the previous requirement that you must have been injured during Operations Enduring or Iraqi Freedom (OEF or OIF).
Link to more information:


You are eligible for a year-round National Park pass that will get you into all the National Parks in the Country. See link for more information:
Documentation needed: A copy of ID issued by an authorized U.S. agency such as your driver’s license, passport, or state issued ID & Documentation that proves permanent disability (Summary of Benefits letter)
About the Access Pass:

  • A free, lifetime pass, plus a $10 handling fee. – available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States that have been medically determined to have a permanent disability (does not have to be a 100% disability) – that provides admittance to more than 2,000 recreation sites managed by five Federal agencies.
  • May also be obtained free in person at a federal recreation site.
  • Provides entrance or access to pass owner and accompanying passengers in a single, private, non-commercial vehicle at Federal operated recreation sites across the country.
  • Photo identification may be required to verify ownership.
  • Passes are NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-TRANSFERABLE, and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.
  • The cost of obtaining an Access Pass through the USGS is ten dollars ($10). The pass itself is free, and there is a ten-dollar fee for processing the application. Applicants must provide documentation proof of residency and documentation of permanent disability. If you cannot order an Access pass online, you can submit a paper application by mail to the USGS using the paper application and enclosing the same documents and $10 fee.
  • At many sites the Access Pass provides the pass owner a discount on Expanded Amenity Fees (such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and guided tours).
  • Generally, does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.

Link to Paper Application:


The 2019 National Defense Authorization Act allows veterans with a 100% P&T service disability rating to travel space available on military aircraft. You must also obtain a DD Form 2765, “Department of Defense/Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card (TAN).
Website with more information:
Space Available Travel Page:
Link to Terminal Contact Information:


Benefits specific to your state can be found at the following link:

Additional Veterans Benefits


Resource Link:


  • Be enrolled in the VA health care system AND
  • Have received care through VA from either a VA or community provider within the past 24 months

Before you go:


  • VA Health Identification Card
  • Urgent Care Assistance card.

Pharmacy Reimbursement:
Medications prescribed at an Urgent Care visit are eligible for reimbursement.
Resource Link: (more information is provided at the following website under the Prescription Medication tab)
Emergency Care:
If you need Emergency Care, you do not need to check with the VA before seeking treatment. However, you must notify the VA within 72 hours of admission to a community medical facility to receive reimbursement.
72 Hour Line: 844-724-7842
The veteran does not need to be the one to report the emergency care, so family members should be aware of this number as well.
Resource Link:


Walt Disney World, Florida
Resort for service members, veterans, and their families
Resource Link: