VA Disability Group is seeking a motivated entry-level attorney or preferably a current VA Attorney to join our growing firm. We are a Veteran Disability Law firm specializing in disability claim appeals to the Veteran Benefits Administration, the Board of Veteran Appeals, and the Court of Appeals for Veteran Claims. Candidates must be able to maintain Accreditation with the Department of Veteran Affairs Office of General Counsel. Candidates must also be willing to travel to Detroit and other surrounding VBA Regional Offices for hearings as needed. We are seeking someone who will handle their cases from start to finish. The firm is looking to grow and seeks individuals who are willing to stay and grow with the practice for the long term.
- Must be a member in good standing with any State Bar (preferably Michigan)
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Superior social skills
- Motivated to learn
- Ability to work under pressure
- Must have above average computer skills
- Must be competent in the use of Microsoft Office Products
Job Type: Full-time
VA Disability Group is seeking a secretary/administrative assistant to join our growing firm. We are a Veteran Disability Law Firm specializing in disability claim appeals to the Veteran Benefits Administration, and the board of Veterans appeals. The firm is looking to grow and seeks individuals who are willing to stay and grow with the practice for the long term.
- Employees in this job coordinate office activities and perform secretarial assignments for professional or management staff in support of the on-going operations of the office.
- Secretarial assignments include such duties as office coordination, scheduling meetings, preparing and maintaining office records, reports, and correspondence pertaining to the professional(s)’s and/or management staff’s area of responsibility.
- Greets and directs visitors to the company
- Assists with the preparation of correspondence to clients.
- Establishes and maintains office files, logs, indexes, control records, or other information concerning the work under the supervisor’s control.
- Enters, retrieves, updates, verifies, and deletes information from electronic files.
- Takes minutes or recordings of meetings.
- Sorts, opens, and distributes incoming mail to staff; associates incoming correspondence with files or related materials needed for meetings, correspondence, and reports.
- Maintains confidentiality of documents and information received.
- Keeps informed of office details and advises management of problems.
- Determines needs and orders office supplies, equipment, repair and maintenance services through agency channels.
- Operates standard office equipment.
- Performs related work as assigned.
ADDITIONAL JOB DUTIES
- Composes, formats, prepares, and edits correspondence and reports with some latitude as to content.
- Locates and reviews pertinent information from files, documents, newspapers, and other sources; and prepares a summary of content for professional(s) and/or management staff.
- Serves as liaison between management and staff by transmitting information, explaining appropriate work instructions, and following up on assignments.
- Makes scheduling commitments for professional(s) or management staff for meetings, conferences and speeches and assembles related necessary materials.
- Reads incoming correspondence and reports, screening those items that can be handled personally, and forwarding the rest to management and staff.
- Updates management on status of issues before scheduled meetings.
- Prepares minutes of meetings from notes and/or recordings. Assists in the study of office operations and services and provides recommendations for improving efficiency and economy of operations; makes recommendations regarding the purchase of office equipment.
- Assists in creating and revising forms; proposes procedures, formats, and standards for office
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Previous administrative experience preferred.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office applications, internet savvy and experience with the use of general office equipment.
- Ability to work in constantly evolving work environment.
- Must be a self-starter with excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a talent for customer service.
- Must be efficient with strong attention to detail.
- Must have strong customer support orientation, demonstrated professional demeanor, and the ability to maintain confidential information.
- Must have strong skills in organization and planning, demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment and problem solving.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, multi-task and meet deadlines.
Job Types: Full-time 40 hours a week, 90 Day contractor trial period.