Surviving Spouses and Dependents

Surviving Spouses and Dependents

Surviving Spouses & Dependents VA Disability Lawyers Kalamazoo, MIIf you’re the surviving spouse or dependent of a deceased veteran, you may be eligible for certain VA benefits. Our veterans attorneys in Kalamazoo, MI understand that this is a difficult time for you, which is why we do everything we can to help you better understand your next steps.

While you may be entitled to survivor benefits, this doesn’t guarantee the VA won’t deny your claim. Unfortunately, many spouses and dependents of deceased veterans don’t receive the compensation they deserve from the VA.

Benefits for Surviving Spouses & Dependents

If you are a surviving spouse or dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible to receive:

  • VA Death Benefits (Dependency and Indemnity Compensation)
  • Accrued Benefits
  • Survivors Pension
  • Survivors Aid and Attendance

VA Death Benefits

When a military veteran dies, the VA offers monthly benefits to eligible survivors. These VA death benefits are called Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC). Our veterans attorneys fight for your VA survivor benefits. We often obtain VA death benefits for spouses, children, and dependent parents. Read our page on VA death benefits for more information.

Accrued Benefits

The VA defines accrued benefits as a claim for any money the VA owes the veteran, but did not pay prior to their death. Generally, if a veteran has a VA disability compensation claim pending at the time of their death, the veteran’s dependent spouse or children are entitled to any accrued benefits from that claim. Read our page on accrued benefits for more information.

Survivors Pension

You may be eligible for the survivors pension benefit if you are the surviving spouse of a deceased veteran with wartime service. This survivors pension is tax-free and is meant to help unmarried surviving spouses with low incomes. The survivors pension may also be used for unmarried child(ren) of the deceased veteran.

Survivors Aid and Attendance

You may be eligible for survivors aid and attendance (in addition to a VA pension) if you’re housebound or need the aid and attendance of another person. Our VA lawyers can help you determine your next steps if you need survivors aid and attendance.

Our Kalamazoo, MI veterans attorneys can help you achieve the best outcome for your case so you can receive the compensation you deserve. To request a consultation with one of our lawyers for veterans benefits, call the VA Disability Group at 1-844-VET-LAWS (1-844-838-5297).