Utah State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Utah State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits- Utah

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including: https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/utah-state-veterans-benefits.html

Visit the Utah Department of Veterans Affairs website for more information on any of these programs.

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit: https://nasvh.org/directory/utah/

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:


Salt Lake City, Utah


Ivins, Utah


Ogden, Utah


Payson, Utah


Veterans and their spouses or surviving spouses who need nursing home care may be admitted to the Veterans Home

A Veteran is defined as an individual who has served on active duty in the armed forces for more than 180 consecutive days or was a member of a reserve component who served in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized and who has been separated or retired under honorable conditions; or any person incurring an actual service-related injury or disability whether or not that person completed 180 days of active duty.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit: https://www.cem.va.gov/find-cemetery/state.asp?STATE=UT

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Fort Douglas Post Cemetery

405 Chipeta Way

Salt Lake City, UT 84108

Burial Space: Closed





State Veterans Cemeteries:

Utah Veterans Memorial Cemetery

17111 S. Camp Williams Road

Bluffdale, UT 84065

VA Grant Funded: Yes





Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Utah Veterans Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Visit the following website for more information: https://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Benefit-Library/State/Territory-Benefits/Utah#taxes

Utah State Taxes on Military Retired Pay:

Utah provides a tax credit for military retired pay that is included in their federal adjusted gross income. The amount of the tax credit is the product of the retired Service members federally taxable military retired pay multiplied 0.0485.

Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) does not withhold taxes for state or local income tax, but it is reported annually on IRS Form 1099-R. All TSP distributions are subject to state taxes and early distributions may incur higher taxes.

Utah State Taxes on Military Pay: 

Utah treats taxes on military pay the same as the IRS. All income included in federal adjusted gross income is automatically included in Utah income. Income that is exempt from federal taxation is also exempt for Utah tax purposes.

Utah State Taxes on Survivor Benefits: 

The Spouse or dependent Child of a Service member who died while serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces or a reserve component Service member who died in the line of duty while serving on inactive duty for training are eligible for a tax credit on their survivor benefits. The amount of the tax credit is the product of the Surviving Spouse’s federally taxable survivor benefits multiplied 0.0485.

Utah State Taxes on U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Military Disability Retirement Pay:

Military Disability Retirement Pay received as a pension, annuity or similar allowance for personal injury or sickness resulting from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces should not be included in taxable income. Some of the payments which are considered disability benefits include:

  • Disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid to Veterans or their Families
  • Grants for homes designed for wheelchair living
  • Grants for motor vehicles for Veterans who lost their sight or the use of limbs, or
  • Benefits under a dependent-care assistance program

Utah State Taxes on U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC):

DIC is a tax-free monetary benefit paid to eligible survivors of military Service members who died in the line of duty or eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-connected injury or disease.

Utah State Taxes on Military Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP), Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan (RCSBP), Retired Serviceman’s Family Protection Plan (RSFPP):

Utah provides a tax credit for SBP, RCSBP, and RSFPP survivor annuities that are included in their federal adjusted gross income. The amount of the tax credit is the product of the Surviving Spouse’s federally taxable annuity multiplied 0.0485.

Utah Nonresident Active-Duty Income Exemption:

Nonresident Service members do not pay Utah income tax on active-duty military pay.

Utah Nonresident Military Spouse Income:

All Utah income received by a nonresident Spouse married to a nonresident active-duty Service member is exempt from Utah income tax under the following conditions:

  • Spouse and the Service member are residents of the same state outside Utah
  • Service member is in Utah under military orders
  • Spouse is in Utah only to be with the Service member

Utah Combat-Related Death Tax Credit:

Those filing taxes on behalf of a Service member who died as a result of service in a combat zone may be eligible for a tax credit for the taxes owed in the year of the Service member’s death.

Property Tax Abatement

Disabled veterans qualify for a reduction in property tax.


This exemption is available to veterans disabled in military service (at least 10 percent disability), their unmarried surviving spouse or minor orphans.

Exemption Amount:

The exemption is up to $479,504 of taxable value of a residence, based on the percentage of disability incurred in the line of duty and on the unemployability classification.

The exemption can also be applied toward tangible personal property, such as motor vehicles. No exemption is allowed for any disability below 10 percent.

How to Apply:

An application with proof of military service and proof of disability (or death) must be on file with the county where the eligible property is located on or before 1 September.

All property must be on record as of 1 January of the year you file.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

It appears that disabled Veterans only need to file for the abatement one time; after which it will automatically renew each year. We recommend you verify this rule with your local tax assessor.

Find your local tax assessor at this link: https://www.publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Assessor-and-Property-Tax-Records.htm

Active or Reserve Duty Armed Forces Exemption

Active duty and reserve members with at least 200 days active service may qualify for a total exemption from real property tax. You get the reduction in the year after your service.


This exemption is available to active or reserve members of the US Armed Forces on active duty outside the state 200 days in a continuous 365-day period beginning in the prior year.

Exemption Amount:

The exemption equals the total taxable value of the claimant’s primary residence.

How to Apply:

To receive the exemption, you must:

  • Apply on or before September 1 of the year after the year of qualifying service,
  • Include with your application verifying military documentation including orders for qualifying active or reserve service.
    Get application forms and more information (including deadlines) from your county auditor’s or treasurer’s office.
    You must apply each year you are eligible. Only one exemption is allowed for each period of qualifying service.

Find your local tax assessor at this link: https://www.publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Assessor-and-Property-Tax-Records.htm

First Time Home Buyer Grant

Visit the following website for more information: https://veterans.utah.gov/first-time-homebuyer-grant/

The Utah Veteran First-Time Homebuyer Grant provides $2,500 to eligible Veterans and current service members (Active Duty, Reserve or Guard) to be used for the first-time purchase of a home in Utah. If you are a recently separated Veteran (last 5 years) or a currently serving member of the military living in Utah and are interested in buying a home for the first time in Utah, this program is for you.

Eligibility Requirements:

In order to be eligible for this program an individual must meet the following requirements:

  • Veteran that has separated within the last 5 years OR a Current member of the military (including Active Duty, Reserve and Guard)
  • Eligible for a VA Home Loan Certificate of Eligibility
  • A first-time homebuyer in Utah (owning a home in another state does not disqualify the applicant)
  • Dual military/Veteran couples are only eligible for one grant

The home or residence must be the primary residence of the Veteran or service member and must be occupied within 30 days of executing the closing mortgage documents.


Application packages are due to UDVMA at least ten business days prior to closing and all required documents are due to Utah Housing Corporation at least five business days before closing.

This program is subject to funding availability based on appropriations from the Utah Legislature. Veteran eligibility is established by UDVMA. Grant may be obtained from any lender (bank, credit union, of other financial institution licensed to do business in Utah, mortgage loans can be VA or any other conforming Loan Product (such as FHA, Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac). Lenders can find more information and a lender’s Funding Reservation Checklist at http://utahhousingcorp.org/.

Veterans License Plates

Visit the following website for more information and to contact your local Division of Motor Vehicles: https://dmv.utah.gov/taxes-fees

Veterans Specialty Plates:

For an initial $25.00 contribution to the Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs, plus a $10.00 plate transfer fee and the normal vehicle registration and property tax fees, Utah Veterans license plates may be purchased from any DMV facility. There will also be a yearly $10.00 renewal fee. The proceeds from these sales and/or renewals assist in funding state Veterans programs. The Utah Veterans license plates display colored decal emblems of the U.S. military branch in which served (as well as the American Legion) and are inscribed with “UTAH HONORS VETERANS.”

Purple Heart/ Pearl Harbor Survivors/ and Former POWs Plates:

Utah special group license plates for Purple Heart recipients, Pearl Harbor survivors or, former POWs are exempt from application and renewal fees. Regular registration fees and property taxes, however, must still be paid.

How to Apply:

The proper evidence to present for a special group plate includes a Military Order of the Purple Heart or Pearl Harbor Survivors Association membership card, or DD-214/ Military Discharge certificate.

Disabled Veteran Plates:

A “Disabled Veteran” license plate is available for all Veterans having a service connected-disability. This plate has a one-time $15.00 fee and no additional renewal fees. Military I.D. card or other documentation, and a VA Summary of Benefits letter (SBL), must be presented to prove eligibility for this plate.

Note: This Plate does not qualify for disabled parking privileges.

Utah Veteran Employment Programs

Utah Department of Workforce Services:

If you are seeking employment in the private sector, the Utah Department of Workforce Services (DWS) is a great place to start. DWS brings together job seekers and potential employers from across Utah.

You can create a profile, access job postings, participate in employment workshops, and learn about upcoming hiring events in your area all at https://jobs.utah.gov/veteran/.

As a veteran, you receive a “veteran preference” on the website, giving you an identifier next to your name for employers to easily identify. Veterans, members of the military, and their spouses can also find additional employment resources and speak to a Veteran specialist in their area.

State of Utah Jobs:

The State of Utah is continually seeking individuals with a wide range of abilities. Invest your skills, knowledge, and experience in a career in one of the many state agencies and departments serving the people of Utah.

Explore job openings and career opportunities on the State of Utah jobs website to get started: https://www.governmentjobs.com/

Veterans Job Preference

Visit the following website for more information: https://dhrm.utah.gov/hiring-pathways/veterans/

Honorably discharged veterans seeking state, county, municipal or other local government jobs can get 5 points added to their employment test score.

Disabled veterans can get 10 points.

Eligible spouses and unremarried surviving spouses may be entitled to the same percentage as the veteran.

To receive Veteran’s Preference, while applying online, there is an option to select an indicator designating yourself as a veteran. Proper documentation will need to be uploaded as part of your profile set up on the website.

CDL Driving Skills Test Waiver

Visit the following website for more information: https://dld.utah.gov/military/

Utah Driver License Division will waive the driving skills tests for military veterans applying for a CDL who meet the licensing qualifications; have been honorably discharged in the previous 90 days; have operated a CMV during the immediate two (2) year period preceding discharge.

Requirements to be eligible to have the CDL driving skills test waived:

  1. Application (the applicant must complete the CDL-ST WVR page 1, and the last commanding officer must complete the CDL-ST WVR page 2.)
  2. Provide a DD214 or discharge papers showing evidence of honorable discharge within the previous 90 days.
  3. Provide a copy of a DA348, AF2293, or other equivalent document verifying certification for operating a commercial motor vehicle.
  4. Pass all required written knowledge testing.

The transfer of school bus (S) and/or passenger (P) endorsements under this waiver program are prohibited.

If the applicant did not operate a vehicle with air brakes or manual transmission, an air brake restriction and automatic transmission would be added to the Utah CDL.

To remove these restrictions, the driver will need to complete the driving skills test in a representative vehicle.

Accelerated Credentialing to Employment (ACE) Program

Visit the following website for more information: https://jobs.utah.gov/

Or Call: 1-888-920-WORK

The ACE Program is designed to assist Utah veterans, actively drilling members of the Guard and Reserve and their respective spouses, overcome barriers to employment or better employment by assisting them in attaining certificates and licenses using their military training and experience or by assisting with short-term training.

The ACE Program is intended to provide an avenue for eligible participants to gain employment in the civilian job market by capitalizing on their past experience, training and knowledge or by assisting them with short-term training that leads to a certificate or license.

The program can serve Utah veterans, active military personnel, actively drilling members of the Guard and Reserve and the spouses of the aforementioned as long as they have served at least one day of honorable service in a branch of the Armed Forces.


  • Identifying and translating skills and training obtained through military service to civilian careers
  • Connecting ACE participants to the programs and services offered by the Department of Workforce Services
  • Job searching techniques, resume writing classes, work readiness and interviewing skills workshops
  • Funding of short-term training that leads to a certificate or license
  • Obtaining your DD 214 and military records

Utah Veteran Education Assistance Programs

Utah offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list: https://veterans.utah.gov/education/

In-State Tuition

Active-duty military and veterans that have been released from active service within the 12 months of attending school will receive tuition at the rate of in-state tuition at public degree granting and certificate granting schools.

Contact your school admissions office to apply.

Tuition Waiver for Purple Heart Recipients

The Purple Heart Tuition Waiver provides Purple Heart recipients with a tuition waiver at all public institutions of higher learning in Utah. This benefit can be used toward a degree up to and including a master’s degree.

How to Apply:

To receive this benefit the Veteran must submit proof that they are a Purple Heart recipient to the State Institution they are attending.

Contact your school admissions office for more information.

Scott B Lundell Tuition Waiver for Military Members’ Surviving Dependents

The Scott Lundell Military Survivors Tuition Waiver provides surviving dependents of service members killed in action on or after September 11, 2001, with a tuition waiver at state schools.

This waiver does not apply to fees, books, or housing expenses.

Contact your school admissions office or the Utah Department of Veterans Affairs for more information.

Veterans Tuition Gap Program

The Veterans Tuition Gap Program is a supplemental grant provided by the State of Utah that can cover tuition, fees, and books for veterans who are attending institutions of higher education in Utah and whose benefits under the federal program have been exhausted or are not

Contact your school admissions office for more information.

Utah National Guard Education Services Office

Members of the Utah National Guard can find education benefits Information and obtain assistance from the UTNG Education Services Office.

Learn more: UTNG – Education Services

Honorary High School Diplomas

Veterans from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam who left high school for military service during those conflicts may be eligible to receive Honorary High School Diplomas from the school that they left.

Contact the local school district for information on how to receive the diploma.

Legal Assistance


Utah@EASE is a referral program led by the Office of the Utah Attorney General in partnership with the Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs and the Utah State Bar. This public- private partnership connects eligible Veterans and current service members with pro bono legal services and representation for covered Utah issues.

Covered legal issues include:

  • Power of Attorney
  • Wills and trusts
  • Consumer fraud
  • Predatory lending
  • Debt
  • Landlord or tenant rights
  • Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)
  • Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)

Criminal, family law, personal injury, VA claims, and legal matters against a public entity (city, county, state, or federal) are not covered.

Learn more at: https://attorneygeneral.utah.gov/utah-at-ease/

Veterans Legal Clinic

The VA has partnered with volunteer attorneys who provide a free monthly legal clinic for Veterans.

The clinic is held the second Thursday of each month from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. in building 16 lobby of the VA Medical Center.

This gives veterans an opportunity to speak to an attorney, free of charge, to get some direction on their legal matter. No appointment needed.

Utah Veteran Recreation Benefits

Utah State Parks Honor Pass

Visit the following website for more information: https://stateparks.utah.gov/resources/military/veterans-with-disabilities-honor-pass/

The Utah Division of State Parks offers qualifying veterans access to our Veterans With Disabilities Honor Pass.


The Honor Pass will be available for veterans who:

  • Are a Utah resident,
  • Were honorably discharged from their military service, and
  • Have a service-related disability and can provide a current summary of benefits letter issued by the Department of Veteran Affairs.

The Honor Pass is valid for day-use admittance for the qualified veteran and up to seven guests in the same private vehicle.

The pass is not valid at This Is The Place Heritage Park and does not cover fees charged by Davis County for travel on the Antelope Island Causeway. The Honor Pass is not valid for special charges or fees within the park — such as the Jordan River Off-Highway Vehicle State Park rider fees, golf green fees, special program participation fees, camping fees, etc.

These passes are valid until the end of the calendar year they were issued. At that time, qualified veterans will need to bring updated documentation to once again receive a pass.

Pickup locations include Utah State Parks Region Offices and all state parks excluding: Flight Park, Piute State Park, Jordan River OHV State Park, Utahraptor State Park, Lost Creek State Park, and This is the Place Heritage Park.

Disabled Veteran Hunting, Fishing or Combination License

Visit the following website for more information: https://wildlife.utah.gov/application-for-a-disabled-veteran-license.html

A Utah resident who has a service-connected disability of 20% or greater may purchase a discounted hunting, fishing, or combination license upon furnishing verification of a service- connected disability.

Service-connected disability means injury or illness incurred or aggravated while in the armed forces and is recognized by the United States Department of Veteran Affairs or by a branch of the US Armed Forces.

Armed Forces means the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard, including the reserve components thereof and the Army and Air National Guard of the United States.

Verification of service-connected disability means an official written letter, statement or card issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs, or by a branch of the Armed Forces certifying that the person has a service-connected disability rating of 20% or higher.

Attention: If you have already applied and have been approved for a veteran hunting or combination license discount, you do not need to reapply each year. Once you purchase your first discounted veteran license, you will automatically be eligible to renew or repurchase your license at the discounted rate going forward.