Rhode Island State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Rhode Island State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits- Rhode Island

Information for this document was gathered from various sources including: https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/rhode-island-state-veterans-benefits.html

Visit the Rhode Island Division of Veterans Affairs for more detailed information: Rhode Island Division of Veterans Affairs

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit: https://nasvh.org/directory/rhode-island/

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:


Bristol, Rhode Island


  • Honorably discharged veterans with a minimum of 90 days of wartime service (dates as specified in the General Laws of Rhode Island) who shall be deemed to be in need of such care provided.
  • Resident requirements satisfied by veteran having been accredited to the enlistment or induction quota of the state or having resided in the state for at least two consecutive years prior to the date of application for admission to the Rhode Island Veterans’ Home.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit: https://www.cem.va.gov/find-cemetery/state.asp?STATE=RI

National Veterans Cemeteries: This state does not have any VA national cemeteries.

State Veterans Cemeteries

Rhode Island Veterans Memorial Cemetery
301 South County Trail
Exeter, RI 02822

VA Grant Funded: Yes


Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Rhode Island Veterans Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Visit the following website for more information: https://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Benefit-Library/State/Territory-Benefits/Rhode-Island#taxes

Rhode Island Taxes on Military Retired Pay: 

Beginning January 1, 2023, military retired pay is exempt from Rhode Island personal income tax.

Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) does not withhold taxes for state or local income tax, but it is reported annually on IRS Form 1099-R. All TSP distributions are subject to state taxes and early distributions may incur higher taxes.

Rhode Island Taxes on Military Pay: 

Military pay received by a resident Service member follows federal tax rules and is subject to Rhode Island income tax.

Rhode Island Taxes on U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Military Disability Retirement Pay: 

Military Disability Retirement Pay received as a pension, annuity or similar allowance for personal injury or sickness resulting from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces should not be included in taxable income. Some payments considered disability benefits include:

  • Disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid either to Veterans or their Families
  • Grants for homes designed for wheelchair living
  • Grants for motor vehicles for Veterans who lost their sight or the use of their limbs, or
  • Benefits under a dependent-care assistance program

Rhode Island Taxes on U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC):

DIC is a tax-free monetary benefit paid to eligible survivors of Service members who died in the line of duty or eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-connected injury or disease.

Rhode Island State Taxes on Military Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)/ Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan (RCSBP)/ Retired Serviceman’s Family Protection Plan (RSFPP): 

SBP, RCSBP and RSFPP are taxed in Rhode Island.

Rhode Island does offer a retirement pension tax deduction of up to $15,000, this amount increases to $20,000 for the 2023 tax year. Surviving Spouses must meet the following requirements to be eligible:

  • 65 years old or older
  • Receive a federally taxable pension or annuity
  • Have an adjusted gross income of $ $119,750 or less

In addition, Surviving Spouses who are 65 or older and have an adjusted gross income of less than $25,000 can receive a 2% tax credit, up to a maximum of $500. This credit can only be claimed once.

Rhode Island Nonresident State Tax Exemption: 

Military pay received by a nonresident Service member stationed in Rhode Island is not subject to Rhode Island income tax. If the Service member holds a separate job, income received from that job is subject to Rhode Island income tax.

Income earned in Rhode Island by a nonresident Spouse of a nonresident Service member stationed in Rhode Island is also exempt from state income taxes. Spouses are only eligible if they are in Rhode Island because their Service member Spouse is stationed there.

Property Tax Exemption

Visit the following website for more information: https://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Benefit-Library/State/Territory-Benefits/Rhode-Island#taxes

List of Exemptions by city and town: https://municipalfinance.ri.gov/sites/g/files/xkgbur546/files/documents/data/exemptions/Veterans-Senior-Exemptions-Report.pdf

Eligible veterans can get an exemption on either their real estate tax bill or on their motor vehicle tax bill. 

The seven exemption categories include:

  1. Veterans’ regular exemption.
  2. Unmarried widow/widower of qualified veteran.
  3. Veterans’ exemption for totally disabled through service-connected disability.
  4. Veterans’ exemption for partially disabled through service-connected disability.
  5. Gold Star parents’ exemption.
  6. Prisoner of war exemption.
  7. Specially adapted housing exemption.

Exemptions amounts vary by category and location.


  • Other than dishonorable discharge.
  • Service during wartime for WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. After Vietnam, service in a recognized conflict. Most qualified conflicts are listed on the back of each tax bill and the complete list is given in RI General Laws 44-3-4 and 44-3-4.2.

How To Apply:

  • Apply at your town tax assessor.


  • DD-214.

Annual refiling is required.

Find your local tax assessor at this link: https://www.publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Assessor-and-Property-Tax-Records.htm

City Housing Authorities’ Veterans’ Preference

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.rihousing.com/

Wartime-disabled veterans can receive first placement when space is available in public housing for the elderly. In addition, some housing authorities in Rhode Island have additional policies for veterans’ preference for their housing programs.


  • Veterans’ preference in local housing developments: Cranston, East Greenwich, East Providence, Johnston (in elderly/disabled housing), Woonsocket.
  • Service-connected veterans’ preference: Burrillville (100% disability required), Bristol (in elderly housing), East Greenwich, Lincoln, Warren, Woonsocket.
  • Preference to families of deceased veterans: East Greenwich.
  • The Housing Authority of the City of Pawtucket has a Pilot Chronic Homeless Program, in which 10 units are allocated to chronically homeless applicants. Disabled veterans and veterans who served in World War II or before are given preference.


  • For the state elderly placement preference, veterans must have been disabled while serving in war or conflict. Veterans must have been discharged under other than dishonorable conditions. Veterans must fulfill all other eligibility criteria for the housing project.

How To Apply

  • For more information, contact the housing authority for your city or town at RIHousing

Free Vehicle Registration for Disabled Veterans

Visit the following websites for more information: https://vets.ri.gov/i-am-find-your-benefits/world-war-ii-korean-war-veteran/ri-veteran-designation-license-plates



RI license plates are available with the following designations: Disabled Veteran, Prisoner of War, Purple Heart recipient, Veteran, National Guard member, and Gold Star Parent. These plates are provided at no fee for the initial plate. There would be a fee for a remake of such a plate.

How To Apply


  • DD-214 or proof of military record.
  • Disabled Veteran: Form from Providence VA Regional Office describing injury.
  • National Guard: Letter from commanding officer validating National Guard status.

RI Veteran Designation Driver’s License

Visit the following website for more information: https://vets.ri.gov/i-am-find-your-benefits/world-war-ii-korean-war-veteran/ri-veteran-designation-drivers-license



Rhode Island licenses and IDs are available with a veteran designation.

  • The veteran designation is free of charge.


  • Honorable discharge.

How To Apply


  • DD-214 or proof of military record.

Bus Pass Program For Individuals With Disabilities

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.ripta.com/riders-with-disabilities/

RIPTA provides a no-fare and half-fare bus pass program for people with disabilities. The program is open to all veterans with a rating of 70% or higher from the VA. Low-income veterans are eligible for the no-fare program; those with income above the threshold are eligible for the half-fare program.


  • A Bus Pass ID Card costs $25 and is valid for 5 years.
  • Any person holding a No Fare ID can ride free on all fixed route service.
  • Any person holding a Reduced (Half) Fare ID pays half-fare during off-peak hours and full-fare during peak hours on all fixed route service.
  • Some individuals may also qualify to travel with a personal care assistant, who rides free.


  • 70% or higher VA disability rating.
  • For No-Fare Program: Income below 200% Federal Poverty levels. For 2014 (by household size), (1) $23340, (2) $31460, (3) $39580, (4) $47700.

How To Apply

  • Apply for the Bus Pass Program at Kennedy Plaza or call for more information.


  • Photo ID.
  • VA award letter showing disability rating of 70% or higher.
  • For No-Fare Program: Proof of income.

Contact Info

Bus Pass Program for Individuals with Disabilities
401-784-9500 x604
1 Kennedy Plaza
Providence, RI

Rhode Island Family Relief Fund

Visit the following website for more information: https://vets.ri.gov/i-am-find-your-benefits/world-war-ii-korean-war-veteran/rhode-island-family-relief-fund

The Rhode Island Military Relief Fund assists Rhode Island National Guard or Reserve Component members and their families in times of crisis that can reasonably be expected to be remedied with a one-time grant that is either financial or casualty based. The fund was recently changed to also include Active-Duty components.

The maximum amount for a one time financial or casualty grant is $5,000 per military/immediate family member.


  • Any member currently in good standing with a military component/unit located in Rhode Island or a member of an active-duty component with Rhode Island as a home of record or his or her immediate family.
  • You are registered in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) or have equivalent documentation to support the member’s status.
  • Have suffered a casualty. Based on Purple Heart injury/death/MIA/POW, as a result of being deployed/mobilized in support of the Global War on Terrorism (GWOT), a contingency operation or in support of Homeland Security (must be validated by the member’s service component).
  • Have an emergency financial need.
  • The Service Member must have served at least one year of satisfactory military service and must be currently in good standing with their assigned unit.
  • Financial assistance needed for (to include but not limited to) rent/mortgage, utilities, medical services/prescription, and insurance or vehicle payments.
  • Grants are subject to board approval.

Contact Info:

Family Assistance Center Specialist:  401-275-1241

Friends Of Animals in Need

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.animalsinneedri.com/

Friends of Animals in Need (FAN) is a group of dedicated volunteers trying to keep cherished pets with their people. Pets play an important part in people’s lives, and Friends tries to help keep it that way by subsidizing the cost of veterinary care for their pets. Friends also promotes the benefits and helps finance spay/neutering to allow beloved pets to live longer, happier, healthier lives with their people. Assistance is available to any financially challenged pet owner living in the state of R.I. We are a 501 (C3) non-profit organization with no paid employees. One hundred percent of our funds is allotted to keeping pets with their people.


Must be a Veteran facing financial challenge.

Rhode Island Employment Benefits

Veterans’ Hiring Preference

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.ri.gov/

Veterans can receive hiring preference when applying for competitive state positions.


  • Veterans receive a 5-point credit on competitive civil service entrance exams.
  • Disabled veterans receive 10 points.
  • Veterans must achieve a passing score before the preference is applied.


  • To qualify as a veteran, the applicant must have an other-than-dishonorable discharge and 30+ days of active-duty service (other than training) or have been discharged because of a service-connected disability. Alternatively, a veteran may be a National Guard or Reserve retiree with 20+ years of service.
  • To qualify as a disabled veteran, the applicant must be a war veteran (have a campaign ribbon or expeditionary medal earned in a conflict war, undeclared war or contingency operation) with an Honorable or General discharge. The veteran must also be physically disabled with VA service-connected rating.

Rhode Island Veterans Education Benefits

Rhode Island offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

 Visit the following link for a full list: https://vets.ri.gov/find-your-benefits/find-your-benefits

Rhode Island Free Tuition for Disabled Veterans

Disabled veterans receive free tuition at RI’s public colleges and universities.


  • Veteran with 10-100% service-connected disability.
  • Permanent resident of RI.
  • Students must apply for and use financial aid first.

We recommend you contact the financial aid office or the veteran’s liaison on campus for assistance with enrollment.

Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program

The Post-9/11 GI Bill pays up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition. The student’s tuition and fees may exceed that amount if they are attending a private institution, graduate school or in an out-of-state status. If they are enrolled at a Yellow Ribbon participating institution and the tuition and fees exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition, additional funds may be available for their education program without an additional charge to their entitlement.

Institutions that voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with the VA choose the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. The VA will match that amount and issue payment directly to the institution.


  • In RI, the following schools participate in the Yellow Ribbon program: Brown, Bryant, Johnson and Wales, New England Institute of Technology, and Salve Regina.
  • View the benefits available at each RI school.

Related Programs

Brown University Veterans’ Resources 

Bryant University Veterans’ Resources

Johnson And Wales University Veterans’ Resources

New England Tech Veterans’ Resources

RISD Veterans’ Resources

Salve Regina University Veterans’ Resources

In-state Tuition

Visit the following website for more information: https://riopc.edu/services/help-for-students/

Eligible active-duty military and veterans receive in-state tuition rates at URI, CCRI, and RIC immediately upon establishing residence in RI.


  • The following individuals are entitled to in-state tuition at CCRI, RIC, and URI regardless of their state residency:
  • An active-duty member or spouse or dependent of an active-duty member of any branch of the Uniformed Services who has been on active duty for a period of more than 30 days.
  • Any active-duty member who is injured while on active duty and whose injuries cause him/her to be on active duty for a period of less than 30 days.
  • If living in RI, any other individual who is eligible for transferred federal GI Bill educational benefits or the Fry Scholarship.


  • Certificate of eligibility for GI Bill benefits.
  • RI mailing address (no PO Box).

Providence Clemente Veterans’ Initiative

Visit the following website for more information: https://admission.providence.edu/

PCVI provides a free, accredited college course in the humanities for veterans.  The Providence Clemente Veterans’ Initiative also serves as a supportive and enriching bridge to college, helping to build critical reading, writing, and thinking skills in preparation for school, work, and civic life. The Providence Clemente Veterans’ Initiative is a place where veterans can explore ideas and experiences in a non-judgmental setting, working with experienced professors.


Open to all Rhode Island and Bristol County, Massachusetts veterans, regardless of discharge status, deployment, rank or education.  Books and tuition are free.   Computer assistance available

How to Apply

To apply, go to https://pvdvets.org/

Rhode Island Veterans Recreation Benefits

Disabled Veterans Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Visit the following website for more information and to access the application: https://dem.ri.gov/online-services/applications-forms#hunting-fishing

Every 100% disabled veteran can get a hunting and fishing license for free. You don’t have to be a Rhode Island resident.

Veterans must submit: 

  • An original document of final decision, on Agency letterhead from the Department of Veteran Affairs for a fishing license. 
  • For a hunting license, the applicant MUST also provide a prior RI hunting license or a current or prior OUT OF STATE hunting license, a hunter safety card from any state, OR AN Honorable Discharge (DD-214). 



Active-Duty Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Non-resident military members stationed in Rhode Island can get hunting and fishing licenses for the resident rate.

State Park Admission

For more information, visit the following website: https://riparks.ri.gov/

Veterans with a 100% U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability get into Rhode Island state parks for free. Camping, picnic, and equestrian fees are still charged. You don’t have to be a Rhode Island resident to qualify. 

Goddard Memorial Park Golf Course

Visit the following website for more information: Goddard Memorial Park Golf Course

Any veteran who is a resident of the state, and who is totally disabled through service-connected disability shall be exempt from paying any fee to play golf at the Goddard Park Golf Course. (Social Security Disability also applies).

Further information can be obtained regarding this exemption by calling the Clubhouse at Goddard Memorial State Park from April 1st through the 3rd Saturday in November at (401) 884-9834 or year-round at Division Headquarters at (401)667-6200.

No-Cost State Beach Parking Pass

No fee shall be charged to any person with a disability regardless of age, or to automobiles transporting a non-driver with a disability at any recreational facility owned by the state. Proper identification must be presented as prescribed by the Department of Environmental Management.

To obtain your no-cost beach parking pass, you must provide a current-year Social Security disability certification listing you as disabled and collecting disability benefits with the Social Security Administration or a current-year 100% Disabled Veteran’s Administration certificate.

Learn more