Ohio State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Ohio State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits – Ohio

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including: https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/ohio-state-veterans-benefits.html

Visit the Ohio Department of Veterans Services website for more detailed information: https://dvs.ohio.gov/

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit: https://www.nasvh.org/state-homes/statedir.cfm

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:

Eligibility: Honorably discharged Ohio resident wartime veterans who are disabled and unable to earn a living are eligible for admission. Costs are based on monthly income and assets. Maximum cost is approximately 1/3 the cost of private care.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit: https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/state.asp?STATE=OH

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Dayton National Cemetery 4400 West Third Street
Dayton, OH 45428
Phone: 937-268-2221
FAX: 937-268-2225
Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery 10175 Rawiga Road
Seville, OH 44273
Phone: 330-335-3069
FAX: 216-229-6104

State Veterans Cemeteries:

Ohio Veterans Home Cemetery 3416 Columbus Avenue
Sandusky, OH 44870
Melissa Wilfong, Administrator
Phone: 419-625-2454 x200
FAX: 419-625-3207

Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Ohio Veteran Financial Benefits

Ohio Veterans Bonus Program

Visit the following website for more information: https://dvs.ohio.gov/resources-for-veterans/veterans-bonus/veterans-bonus

Generally, anyone who served honorably for more than 90 days on or after Oct. 7, 2001, is eligible to receive the bonus. It pays $100 per month for service in Afghanistan, and $50 per month for service elsewhere, up to a maximum of $1,500.


Applicants must have been Ohio residents at the time of entry onto active duty and be current Ohio residents.

Certain Surviving family members may be eligible for the bonus as well.

Use the Eligibility tool on the website to determine if you should apply

The online application is encouraged to speed up the processing time.

For assistance in procuring the necessary documentation to support your application, contact your local VSO for assistance: https://dvs.ohio.gov/what-we-do/find-a-cvso/find-a-cvso

Income Tax

Active duty pay is tax-free if stationed out-of-state.
Retirement pay and SBP payments are tax-free.

Homestead Exemption

Visit the following website for more information: https://dvs.ohio.gov/veteran-benefits/benefits-resources/taxes

Veterans rated by the VA as 100% disabled due to a service-connected disability and surviving spouses who occupy the same home are eligible for the expanded Homestead Exemption, the rate varies by location. The homestead exemption provides a reduction in property taxes to qualified senior or disabled citizens, or a surviving spouse, on the dwelling that is that individual’s principal place of residence and up to one acre of land of which an eligible individual is an owner. The reduction is equal to the taxes that would otherwise be charged on up to $25,000 of the market value of an eligible taxpayer’s homestead.

File on or before December 31st of the year for which the exemption is sought.

For manufactured and mobile homes, filing must occur on or before December 31st of the year prior to the year for which the exemption is sought.

  • Disabled person (must be permanently and totally disabled on January 1 of the year for which exemption is sought)
  • Surviving spouse (must have been at least 59 years old on the date of the spouse’s death and must meet all other homestead exemption requirements

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Annual refiling is required.

Find your local tax assessor at this link: https://www.publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Assessor-and-Property-Tax-Records.htm

Military Injury Relief Fund

For more information and the application, visit the following website: https://dvs.ohio.gov/veteran-benefits/benefits-resources/military-injury-relief-fund

The fund grants a one-time, tax-exempt payment to service members injured on active duty after Oct. 7, 2001, and to individuals diagnosed with post-traumatic stress while serving after Oct. 7, 2001. Recipients will receive a grant of $500. Surviving spouses may also be eligible for this grant.

Required documentation:

  • DD 214
  • Reserve and guard members need Activation orders of (YDY)
  • Proof of injury
  • Proof of Ohio Residency
  • Power of Attorney for applications sent

Visit your local Veterans Service Office for more information and assistance.

Ohio Home Loan Program ( Ohio Heroes Program)

Visit the following website for more information: https://myohiohome.org/

The Ohio Housing Finance Agency offers first time home buyers home loans at an interest rate approximately 1/4% lower than the going interest rate.

You may qualify for an OHFA homebuyer program if you meet the criteria listed below:

  • You meet income and purchase price limits.
  • You meet debt to income ratios for your loan type.
  • You meet the credit score requirements.
    • Conventional, USDA and VA Loans: 640 or higher
    • FHA Loans: 650 or higher
  • You work in one of the following careers:
    • Veterans, active-duty military members or members of reserve components (including surviving spouses)
    • Police officers, firefighters, volunteer firefighters, EMTs and paramedics
    • Physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses (RN and LPN) and STNAs
    • Teachers (pre-K through grade 12), administrators and counselors

You can choose to include down payment assistance in your Ohio Heroes loan.

Financial Assistance

Visit the following website for more information: https://dvs.ohio.gov/veteran-benefits/benefits-resources/Financial-assistance

Each of Ohio’s 88 counties operates a Veterans Services Commission which provides direct financial assistance to needy veterans upon receipt of a completed application. Contact your county office for details.

Find your County Veterans Service Office at the following website: https://dvs.ohio.gov/what-we-do/find-a-cvso/find-a-cvso

Ohio Veteran Employment Benefits

For more information on Ohio Employment resources, visit the following website:

State Employment

Veterans are entitled to 20% added credit on an Ohio civil service exam. Current reserve and guard members who successfully complete initial entry-level training get a 15% added credit.

Ohio Educator License Fee Elimination

Visit the following website for more information: https://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Other-Resources/Ohio-Network-for-Military-Families-and-Veterans/Supporting-Ohio-s-Military-Families/Educator-License-Fees-Elimin-for-Veterans-and-Acti#:~:text=Troops%20to%20Teachers-,Educator%20License%20Fees%20Eliminated%20for%20Veterans%20and%20Active%20Duty%20Service,the%20contributions%20of%20military%20families.

The Ohio Department of Education has eliminated fees for educator licenses for any initial (or a renewal of an) Ohio educator license, permit, or certificate for veterans or current active-duty members free of charge. Spouses of active-duty service members also may receive a license free of charge.

For more information, contact the Office of Educator Licensure:
(877) 644-6338

Ohio Veteran Education Benefits

Ohio offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list: https://dvs.ohio.gov/jobs-and-education/resources/education-opportunities-for-veterans

Ohio War Orphans Scholarship

Visit the following website for more information and for a link to the application: https://www.ohiohighered.org/ohio-war-orphans

The Ohio War Orphan & Severely Disabled Veterans’ Children Scholarship Program awards tuition assistance to the children of deceased or severely disabled Ohio veterans who served in the armed forces during a period of declared war or conflict.

The scholarship covers a portion of tuition and fees at two and four-year public schools and at eligible private colleges and universities, the amount changes every year.


To receive War Orphans Scholarship benefits, a student must be:

  • An Ohio resident
  • Enrolled for full-time undergraduate study and pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree at an eligible Ohio college or university.
  • Applicants must apply between the ages of 16 and 24.

Application Deadline: The application deadline is May 15th of every year.

An application must be completed along with a Student Acknowledgement Form which is also available at the above website.

Visit your local VSO for more information and access to the application.

Ohio Veteran Recreation Benefits

Active Duty Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Ohio active-duty residents don’t have to buy a hunting license, fishing license, Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp, or fur taker permit while on leave.

Non-resident active-duty members stationed in Ohio can buy a hunting license, fishing license, Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp, or fur taker permit for the resident rate.

Free Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Visit the following website for more information and for the application: https://ohiodnr.gov/buy-and-apply/hunting-fishing-boating/hunting-resources/hunting-licenses-permits

Ohio resident veterans who are 100% permanently and totally disabled and former POWs may receive free 5-year hunting and fishing licenses.

Ohio Revised code 1533.12 provides for eligible resident disabled veterans and former prisoners of war to receive a:

  • fishing license
  • hunting license
  • fur taker permit
  • deer permit
  • wild turkey permit
  • wetlands habitat stamp
  • any combination of those licenses, free of charge.

Eligible applicants will be approved for free Disabled Veteran licenses for a 5-year period from the date of notification. The licenses are only valid for the current license year and expire annually on last day in February. Each license year, the disabled veteran will need to obtain new licenses.

If approved, you MUST:

  • ANNUALLY obtain your licenses from a license agent or the internet during the 5-year approval period.
  • If your residency or eligibility status changes during the 5-year period you must notify the Division of Wildlife.


Camping at Ohio State Parks

Visit the following website for more information and to make reservations: https://ohiodnr.gov/discover-and-learn/safety-conservation/about-ODNR/news/Overnight-Discounts-Active-Duty-Military-Veterans#:~:text=Throughout%20the%20year%2C%20ODNR%20offers,veterans%20who%20are%20permanently%20disabled.

Active military and veterans are entitled to 10% discount. The discount may be used for one campsite, getaway rental unit, cottage, or lodge room per visit. Military ID or veteran identification must be presented to receive discount.

Ohio resident former POWs or permanent and totally disabled veterans camp for free at state parks.

Camping discounts are only available by placing a call to the reservations call center at (866) 644-6727.

Watercraft Registration

For more information, visit the following website: https://ohiodnr.gov/buy-and-apply/hunting-fishing-boating/boat-registration/boat-reg-faq

Permanently and totally disabled Ohio state veterans receive free registration for personal watercraft.

Eligible Ohio residents include (1) disabled veterans with proof of 100% service-related disability in the form of a letter from the Veterans Affairs Administration stating 100% service-related disability, (2) Congressional Medal of Honor recipients with written documentation on their award and/or (3) former prisoners of war with their record of separation or a letter from one of the branches of the Armed Services stating they were a prisoner of war and were either honorably discharged or are on active duty with one of the branches of the Armed Services of the United States.

Ohio boat registration fees may be waived for boaters meeting these requirements:

  • Disabled Veteran: Proof of 100% service-related disability in the form of a letter from the Veterans Affairs Administration stating 100% service-related disability.
  • Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient: Written documentation of the presentation of the award.
  • Former Prisoner of War: Written evidence in the form of a record of separation or a letter from one of the branches of the Armed Services stating that you were a prisoner of war and that you were either honorably discharged or are on active duty with one of the branches of the Armed Services of the Unites States; or were captured, separated, and incarcerated by an enemy of the United States at any time; and that you are a resident of Ohio. The Department of Veterans Affairs Administration can certify status in most instances.
  • Veterans Car Assistance Program Participant: Written documentation of having been awarded funds by the Department of Veterans Affairs Administration for the adaptation/purchase of a motor vehicle.

Procedure: Complete “Section I – Information” of the DNR8460R Certified Application for Watercraft Registration and send it along with the necessary proof to:

ATTN: Stacie Stone
Ohio DNR Division of Parks and Watercraft
2045 Morse Road, Building A-1
Columbus, OH 43229

If you need further assistance, please contact Stacie Stone at (614) 265-6494.