New Hamphshire State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

New Hamphshire State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits- New Hampshire

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the New Hampshire Office of Veterans Services website for more detailed information:

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit:

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:


Honorably discharged veterans who are medically qualified to receive care. One year New Hampshire residency required preceding application or New Hampshire as home of record upon discharge. Financial certification required.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans Cemeteries: There are No National Cemeteries in New Hampshire currently

State Veterans Cemeteries:

New Hampshire State Veterans Cemetery
110 Daniel Webster Highway, Rt 3
Boscawen, NH 03303
VA Grant Funded: Yes

Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

New Hampshire Veteran Financial Benefits

Property Tax Exemption

For more information and applications, visit the following website:

There are several Tax credits and exemptions available for veterans. For the purposes of this list, we have included the 2 most applicable.

Service-Connected Total Disability Tax Credit

$700 to $4,000 is subtracted from the property taxes due on the applicant’s residential property depending on the municipality you reside in.


  • Honorably discharged with a Permanent and Total Service-connected Disability
  • A double amputee of paraplegic due to service-connected injury
  • Surviving spouse of above qualified veteran and remains single

Certain Disabled Veterans- Exemption

Exempt from all taxation on their homestead


  • Discharged under conditions other than dishonorable, or an officer that has been honorable separated from military service
  • Owns a specifically adapted homestead which was acquired with the assistance of the VA or by using proceeds from the sale of any previous homestead which was acquired with the assistance of the VA; AND
  • 100% permanently and totally disabled, Total and Permanent ratings and Unemployability; or a double amputee or paraplegic as a result of service connection, or has blindness of both eyes as a result of service connection.
  • The surviving spouse of an eligible veteran may also apply

Proof of service-connected disability must be provided. Your Summary of benefits letter should be sufficient proof.

Form PA-29 must be submitted with required supporting evidence by April 15th

Form PA-29 is available at the following website:

Applicant must be qualified as of April 1st for the year the exemption and/or tax credit is claimed. Applicant must have been a resident for at least 1-year preceding April 1st for veterans tax credit and 5 years for the disabled exemption.

NOTE: These tax credits and exemptions vary by the vote of the municipality you reside in.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed information and requirements regarding these exemptions available in your area.

Annual refiling may be required.

Find your local tax assessor at this link:

Indigent Veterans

War veterans and their families who are unable to support themselves may be supported at public expense in the town or city where they live.

Basic Eligibility:

  • Honorable discharge
  • Not under guardianship or legal restraint

Contact your local county commissioner’s office or public welfare office for more information or visit a local VSO for assistance.

New Hampshire Veteran Employment Preference

Honorably discharged veterans get preference for city, town, and district jobs.

Preference is also given in appointing employees of the State Liquor Commission, the State Veterans Council, the Commandant, and employees of the New Hampshire Veterans Home.

Unremarried Surviving Spouses and Spouses of disabled Veterans may also qualify.

Contact your local VSO to learn more about this benefit and how to apply.

NHES New Hampshire Employment Security

More information can be found the following website:

Veterans and eligible spouses can receive access to public employment and training services on a higher priority basis than other applicants.

To register, visit the following website:;jsessionid=4FFFAC9BAA6E583DD5A403AA585D6C78?execution=e1s1

New Hampshire Veterans Peddler’s License Fee Exemption

More information is available at the following website:

Service-connected disabled Veterans and their unremarried spouse may be exempt from fees for a peddler’s license.

$100 War Time Bonuses

There are three types of $100 bonuses for veterans who served during specific periods of conflict:

  • New Hampshire Vietnam War bonus
  • New Hampshire Persian Gulf War Service bonus
  • New Hampshire Global War on Terrorism Operations Service bonus


  • Veterans must be residents of New Hampshire at entry in the military and receive an honorable discharge.
  • Vietnam bonus: Veterans who served 90 days or more during Vietnam and earned the Vietnam Service Medal or Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.
    • Claims made after August 22, 1977, must be approved by the Adjutant General, the Governor and Executive Council.
  • Persian Gulf War bonus: Veterans who served between August 2, 1990 and November 30, 1995 and received the Southwest Asia Service Medal.
    • Program expired on August 31, 2002, but there are provisions that allow for acceptance of applications after that date.
  • Global War on Terrorism Operations bonus: Veterans who served after September 11, 2001 and earned the Global War on Terror Expeditionary Medal.
      • Program expired on June 11, 2009, but there are provisions that allow for acceptance of applications after that date.

Persian Gulf War Service Bonus Application:

Global War on Terrorism Operations Bonus Application:

To apply, you can mail in the applications for the Global War on Terrorism and Persian Gulf War to the New Hampshire Office of Veterans Services.

Driver’s License/ Registration Fee Exemption

Visit the following website for more information:

New Hampshire offers a variety of registration fee and licensing fee exemptions to veterans with Permanent and Total disabilities. The most relevant are listed below. Contact your local DMV to discuss needed documentation to apply.

New Hampshire Disabled Veteran Driver License Fee Exemption: No fee shall be charged for a motor vehicle operator’s license for a Veteran who is:

  • Amputee or paraplegic and who received a motor vehicle from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Classified Affairs as being permanently and totally disabled due to service-connected disability.

New Hampshire Registration Fee Exemption for Blind Veterans: No fee shall be charged for a permit to register a motor vehicle owned by a Veteran who has been classified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as being totally blind as a result of a service-connected disability.

New Hampshire Registration Fee Exemption for Vehicle provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: No registration fee is payable for a vehicle provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to an amputee, paraplegic or blind Veteran classified as being permanently and totally disabled from service connection.

New Hampshire Registration Fee Exemption for Amputee or Paraplegic Veterans: No fee shall be charged for a permit to register a motor vehicle owned by a war Veteran who is an amputee, paraplegic or who suffered the loss of use of a limb from a service-connected cause as certified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs when the vehicle is received or a cash settlement in lieu thereof is received from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

New Hampshire Parking Benefits for Disabled Veteran License Plates: Any motor vehicle bearing special disabled Veteran license plates with the international accessibility symbol shall be allowed free parking time in any city or town, if the vehicle is under the direct control of the owner.

Disabled Veteran License Plate: Honorably discharged Veterans deemed to be totally and permanently disabled due to their service-connected disability are allowed one disabled Veteran plate at no charge.

Veterans with Walking Disabilities License Plates: Special license plates may be issued for motor vehicles owned by individuals with walking disabilities.

New Hampshire Veteran Education Benefits

New Hampshire offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list:

Tuition-Free College For Dependents of 100% Disabled Veterans

Visit the following website for more information:

The University System of New Hampshire institutions will award tuition waivers to children of totally and permanently 100% disabled New Hampshire veterans when all eligibility requirements are met.

Students are required to apply for this assistance annually.

To apply the dependent must:

  • Be accepted or enrolled in the state institution
  • Enroll in eligible USNC academic program
  • Meet residency requirements
  • Apply for FAFSA and utilize available federally funded military tuition assistance programs such as DEA (See National Benefits Guide for information on DEA) or the GI Bill.

Application must be submitted no later than May 31st when applying for the fall term.

It is highly recommended that you contact the institution for a detailed list of all necessary documentation that will be required.

Contact information: Office: (603) 862-0355 |Fax: (603) 862-0655 │

Application is available at the following link:

Free Tuition for Surviving Children of Military Members

For more information, visit the following website:

Children of military members who die in service during wartime, and children of certain wartime veterans who die from a service-connected disability, may qualify for free tuition at New Hampshire colleges.

They can also get a scholarship up to $2,500 per year for room/board/rent, books, and supplies for a period of no more than 4 years. Children must be between 16 – 25.

Application deadline is September 1st. Must reapply annually.

Contact the Veteran’s Service Officer at the institution you wish to attend for more information. Or contact the Department of Education Administrator at: 603-271-8508

New Hampshire Veteran Recreation Benefits

Fish and Game Licenses

More information is available at the following website:

Honorably discharged NH resident veterans who are VA permanently and totally disabled can get a free lifetime hunting & fishing license.

A one time $10 administration fee will be charged.

Patients at the VA Medical Center in Manchester, NH, and residents of the NH Veterans’ Home may be issued free fishing permits under certain conditions.

Disabled veterans may hunt from motor vehicles or boats under certain conditions with a proper permit.

Contact the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department’s Business/Licensing Division at:

(603) 271-3422 or email:

Link to Application:

State Park Admission

Visit the following website for more information:,at%20all%20day%2Duse%20parks.

NH veterans with any VA disability rating won’t be charged a fee for day-use admission to NH state parks.

Disabled Veterans License plates issued by the state of New Hampshire a Summary of benefits letter will be sufficient evidence.

Activities fees (ski lifts, food services, campgrounds, etc.) will still be charged.

Other Benefits

Burial for Indigent New Hampshire Veterans

Indigent Veterans may be buried at the expense of the municipality in which the Veteran died.

Contact your local VSO or municipality office for more information.

Free Copies of Public Records for New Hampshire Veterans and Dependents

Copies of public records are provided free when needed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to determine eligibility for benefits. The State Veterans Council and its Veterans Service Officers shall assist Veterans and dependents in obtaining benefits to which entitled under state or federal laws or regulations.