Massachusetts State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Massachusetts State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits- Massachusetts

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the Massachusetts Department of Veterans Services for more detailed information:

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit:

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:


  • Chelsea, Massachusetts


  • Holyoke, Massachusetts


  • Veterans who have served 180 days of regular active-duty military service and were honorably discharged are eligible to receive services at the Soldiers’ Home in Holyoke.
  • Veterans who served 90 days of active-duty service, at least one day of which was during wartime and were honorably discharged, are also eligible as are Veterans who served in wartime and were awarded the Purple Heart or received a service-connected disability.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Fort Devens Post Cemetery

35 Patton Road

Devens, MA 01434

Burial Space: Cremation Only





Massachusetts National Cemetery

Connery Avenue

Bourne, MA 02532

Burial Space: Open





Woodlawn Cemetery Soldiers’ Lot

Harvard Street

Ayer, MA 01432

Burial Space: Closed





State Veterans Cemeteries:

Massachusetts State Veterans Cemetery – Agawam

1390 Main Street

Agawam, MA 01001

VA Grant Funded: Yes





Massachusetts State Veterans Cemetery – Winchendon

111 Glenallen Street

Winchendon, MA 01475

VA Grant Funded: Yes





Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Massachusetts Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Visit the following website for more information:

Massachusetts Income Taxes on Military Pay: 

Military pay received by Massachusetts resident service members is subject to state taxes.

Massachusetts Income tax Exclusion for Combat Pay and Extension to File: 

Military pay received by a resident service member for active-duty service in a combat zone that is excluded from their federal adjusted gross income is also exempt from Massachusetts income tax.

Service members have 180 days from their return from a combat zone or when they are released from hospitalization due to injuries, they received in a combat zone to file their state income taxes.

Massachusetts Military Retired Pay Income Tax Exemption: 

Military retired pay is not taxed in Massachusetts.

Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) does not withhold taxes for state or local income tax, but it is reported annually on IRS Form 1099-R. All TSP distributions are subject to state taxes and early distributions may incur higher taxes.

Massachusetts State Taxes on Military Disability Retirement Pay: 

Massachusetts does not tax Veteran disability pensions.

Military Disability Retirement Pay received as a pension, annuity or similar allowance for personal injury or sickness resulting from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces should not be included in taxable income.

Some of the payments which are considered disability benefits include:

  • Disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid to Veterans or their families
  • Grants for homes designed for wheelchair living
  • Grants for motor vehicles for Veterans who lost their sight or the use of limbs, or
  • Benefits under a dependent-care assistance program

Massachusetts State Taxes on U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC):

DIC payments are tax-free.

Military Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) Massachusetts State Tax Exemption:

Survivor pensions paid to a surviving spouse are not taxed in Massachusetts.

Property Tax Exemptions

Disabled veterans may be eligible for a property tax exemption of $400 to $1,500.

A Total exemption is given for the following:

  • Veteran who is paraplegic
  • Veteran who has a 100% disability rating for service-connected blindness
  • Spouse or surviving spouse of an eligible Veteran
  • Surviving parents or guardians of a service member who was declared missing in action or presumed dead
  • Surviving parents or guardians of a service member or Veteran who died from a service-connected cause that occurred while the service member was serving on active duty

The exemption is $1,500 if the Veteran has:

  • Permanent and total disability rating from the VA and received specially adapted housing assistance
  • Spouse or surviving spouse of an eligible Veteran

The exemption is $1,000 if the Veteran has:

  • 100% disability rating from the VA
  • Spouse or surviving spouse of an eligible Veteran


To qualify, all veterans must:

  • be at least 10% disabled according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • be legal residents of Massachusetts.
  • be occupying the property as his/her domicile July 1 in the year of application.
  • have lived in Massachusetts for at least six months prior to entering the service (spouses exempted); or
  • have lived in Massachusetts for five consecutive years immediately prior to filing for a property tax exemption.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Annual refiling is required.

Find your local tax assessor at this link:

Click here for a taxpayers guide on local property tax exemptions for Massachusetts Veterans

Disabled Veterans License Plates

For more information, visit the following website:

Disability Veteran plates are issued only to qualified Massachusetts resident veterans who meet
the following three conditions:

  1. Qualify for permanent Disabled Parking Privileges
  2. Have a minimum of a 60% service-connected disability rating as determined by the VA and listed on the disability breakdown letter.
  3. One or a combination of your listed services connected disabilities totaling 60% must be conditions that affect ambulation and would qualify for disabled parking privileges. Conditions that do not affect ambulation may not be considered for this condition.

These plates are issued only to qualifying persons who are the primary owner of a registered passenger vehicle.


This approval also means that you meet the eligibility standards for an exemption from the Motor Vehicles Excise Tax. You do not need to register your vehicle with Disabled Veteran plates to be eligible for the excise tax exemption. This exemption shall apply to not more than
one motor vehicle owned and registered for the personal non-commercial use of such a veteran or person. If you choose not to register your vehicle with the disabled veterans plates and are only applying for the approval letter for excise you must still meet all listed requirements for
disabled veteran plates.

Motor Vehicle Tax Exemptions

Visit the following website for more information:

Disabled veterans approved for a Disabled Veteran (DV) plate by RMV Medical Affairs are exempt from paying certain RMV registration and/or driver’s license fees.

Registration fee:

Disabled veterans do not need to pay a registration fee for one passenger vehicle or pick-up truck. The vehicle must be owned by the veteran and used for non-commercial purposes.

The veteran can choose either one set of DV plates or one set of passenger plates. If the veteran chooses passenger plates with an additional special plate fee (special, vanity, or reserved plates), the special plate fee must be paid.

If the veteran owns additional vehicles, registration fees must be paid for those vehicles.

Driver’s license fee:

Disabled veterans do not need to pay fees for driver’s license transactions.

It does not matter if the veteran has obtained DV plates, but he/she must be approved for them.

Excise tax:

Disabled veterans do not need to pay excise tax for one passenger vehicle or pick-up truck. It must be owned by the veteran and used for non-commercial purposes. It does not matter if the veteran has obtained DV plates, but he/she must be approved for them.

Application for the excise tax exemption must be made to the board of assessors of the city or town where the vehicle is registered. If the veteran owns additional vehicles, excise tax must be paid for those vehicles.

Sales tax:

Disabled veterans do not need to pay sales tax for one passenger vehicle or pick-up truck. It must be owned by the veteran and used for non-commercial purposes.

To be eligible, the veteran MUST obtain DV plates for the vehicle. If the veteran purchases additional vehicles, sales tax must be paid for those vehicles.

Disabled Veteran Annuity

For more information, visit the following website:

An annuity in the amount of $2,000, which is payable biannually on Aug. 1 and Feb. 1 in two installments of $1,000 each, is available for 100%disabled veterans and their spouses as well as Gold Star Parents and un-remarried spouses.

This annuity of $2,000 is given to 100% service-connected disabled veterans and their spouses, Gold Star Parents, and the unmarried surviving spouse of a qualifying veteran.

The annuity is paid biannually on Aug. 1 and Feb.1 in two installments of $1,000 each.


If you are an eligible family member (parents or un-remarried Widow/er) who lost a loved one due to COVID-19 while they were residing at either of the Commonwealth’s Soldiers’ Homes, you may file an application for the survivor annuity benefit.

Apply Electronically:

Annuity Application Packet for Veterans, Widow/er, and Parents

You can also contact your local VSO for assistance with filing.

Veterans’ Bonus Division

Visit the following website for more information:

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts provides a bonus to veterans who lived in Massachusetts immediately prior to entry into the armed forces.

The veteran’s home of record must have been in Massachusetts for at least 6 months prior to entering the military. Service during a wartime period of participation in a combat operation is also required.

In case of the death of a veteran, the spouse and children, mother or father, brother or sister or other dependents of the deceased veteran (in that order) are eligible for a bonus.

The available bonuses are listed below with links to eligibility requirements:

Welcome Home Veterans’ Bonus (post-9/11 Service members)

Persian Gulf War Veterans Bonus

Vietnam Conflict, WWII, and Korean War Veterans Bonus

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal Bonus (1976-2001)

Massachusetts COVID-19 Bonus for Mass National Guard


  • Out of state students that attended school in Massachusetts are not considered domicile in Massachusetts for the purpose of this bonus.
  • Out of state active-duty military personnel that are not originally from Massachusetts are not considered domicile in Massachusetts for the purpose of this bonus.

Use this online form to determine eligibility for a bonus:

Compensation for Guard Members Killed While on Active Duty

If the death of a member of the Massachusetts National Guard results from injury, sickness or disease received while in the line of duty pursuant to orders under Titles 10 and 32 of the United States Code and the injury, sickness or disease resulting in the death was not the result of the
decedent’s fault or neglect, a single payment of $100,000 shall be paid to the surviving spouse or other dependents.

Chapter 115 Benefits/Safety Net Program

For more information, visit the following website:

Massachusetts veterans facing financial difficulties may be eligible to receive financial assistance.

Benefits include:

  • Daily living expenses
  • Medical costs
  • Rent assistance
  • Support of dependents
  • Prevention of veteran homelessness

To help determine your eligibility and see what you may qualify for, please use the Mass Vet Benefit Calculator by clicking here.

Please call your local VSO in your town or city to discuss and apply for these benefits.

Below you will find more helpful resources:

Veteran Preference for State Employment

Visit the following website for more information:

Massachusetts veterans and qualifying dependents are entitled to veterans’ preference in civil service employment.

Open Competitive Exams: If you received 70 points and above on an open competitive exam, you could receive absolute Veterans’ preference which means you will be placed at the head of the eligibility list. Job listings include those for police and firefighter positions.

Those eligible for absolute preference are ranked in the following order:

  • Disabled Veterans
  • All other Veterans
  • Spouse and single parents of a Veteran who died in combat or from service-connected

Promotional Exams: All eligible Veterans have two points added to their scores for promotional exams.

Labor Service: There is no exam required for labor service positions. Veterans, whether disabled or not, are placed at the top of the eligibility list. Spouses and single parents of Veterans are placed below Veterans but above all other applicants.

Homeless and Transitional Housing

For more information, visit the Services and List of Providers pages of the Department of Veterans’ Services website, Or visit

Massachusetts provides funding to nonprofit organizations that provide housing to eligible veterans. Services include emergency homeless shelters, group residences, and single-room occupancy housing quarters. There are many locations throughout the state.

Housing services are provided for male and female Veterans. All residences maintain a sober, drug-free environment.

Massachusetts Veteran Education Benefits

Massachusetts offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list: and

Tuition Waivers

A tuition waiver is available for all Massachusetts veterans to attend any state-supported course in an undergraduate degree program offered by a public college or university.

Veterans will be eligible on a space-available basis for a waiver of full or partial tuition.

To be eligible, a veteran must also be a legal resident of Massachusetts and must not be in default on any federal student loans.

Contact the veterans’ representative at the college or university for details.

Tuition and Fee Waivers for Guard Members

The Massachusetts National Guard Education Assistance Program provides a 100% tuition and fee waiver for Massachusetts National Guard members attending a state college, university, or community college program.

Generally, these state-supported programs are offered during the day as part of a degree program.

Your assistance can continue if you are in good standing academically and until you have reached 130 semester hours.

Please contact the college or university veterans’ representative for details about this program.

Public Service Scholarship Programs

For more information, visit the following website:

Scholarships will be awarded to the children of eligible veterans for undergraduate studies at an institution of higher education in the Commonwealth.


  • Children of a POW or a service member designated as Missing in Action in Southeast Asia.
    • Service dates between February 1, 1955, and the termination of the Vietnam campaign
  • Children of veterans whose service was credited to the Commonwealth and who were killed in action or otherwise died because of such service.

Contact information:
Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
Office of Student Financial Assistance
454 Broadway, Suite 200
Revere, MA 02151
Tel: 617-391-6070

Massachusetts Soldiers Legacy Fund

For more information, visit the following website:

The Massachusetts Soldiers Legacy Fund provides funds for current and future college/university students whose parents were killed on deployment during Operations Enduring or Iraqi Freedom.

Contact information:
Massachusetts Soldiers Legacy Fund
Tel: (508) 630-2382


Commonwealth September 11, 2001, Tragedy Tuition Waiver

For more information, visit the following website:

The Commonwealth September 11, 2001, Tragedy Tuition Waiver recognizes the challenge that children or spouses of victims of the national tragedy may face in their attempt to pay for a college education. The program provides a 100% tuition waiver to Massachusetts children and
widowed spouses who are directly affected by the September 11 events for any state-supported course or program offered by a Massachusetts public college or university.

Who Is Eligible?

To be eligible for a Commonwealth September 11, 2001, Tragedy Tuition Waiver, a student must meet all the following requirements:

  • Be the spouse or child of a resident of Massachusetts who died or is missing and officially presumed dead as a direct result of the acts of terrorism that occurred in the United States on September 11, 2001.
  • The student must submit the following to the institution:
    • Copy of the student’s legal birth certificate.
    • Certificate of Death for the spouse, parent, or legal guardian (or other official documentation of death)
    • Proof that the death is connected to the terrorism that occurred on September 11, 2001.
    • File a current year Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Eligible Institutions:

An eligible institution is within the system of public institutions of higher education under Section 5 of Chapter 15A of the General Laws.

Award Amounts:

Students eligible for the Commonwealth September 11, 2001, Tuition Waiver will be entitled to a tuition waiver equal to 100% of the resident tuition rate for eligible state-supported courses offered at the participating public higher education institution.

Click here to view the full value of tuition waivers, by school, for a full-time student in the current academic year.

How to Apply:

Contact the financial aid office at the Massachusetts public college or university you are attending or plan to attend for application requirements.

You can also contact the DHE’s Office of Student Financial Assistance at (617) 391-6070 to obtain more information.

Tuition Waiver Guidelines

Veterans Upward Bound Program

For more information, visit the following website:

The Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) Program is a free federal pre-college program designed to motivate and assist veterans in the development of academic and other requisite skills necessary for acceptance, success, and completion in a program of post-secondary study. This can include but is not limited to vocational schooling, licensures, certificates, certifications or to obtain an associate or bachelor’s degree program (at any institution of your choice).

VUB provides veterans with wrap-around services that are tailored to individual veteran’s needs and can include:

Academic Support:

  • College Entrance Exam Prep
  • Remedial or refresher academic coursework in the areas of Mathematics through Pre-Calculus; English Composition, Reading Comprehension and Literature; Lab Science and Foreign Language
  • Tutoring Services
  • Mentoring programs
  • Cultural Activities

Educational Planning & Application Assistance:

  • Academic Advising, Degree, and College Planning
  • Additional Post-Secondary Opportunities
  • College Culture & Environment Review

Financial Aid Counseling & Application Assistance:

  • VA Education Benefits
  • Additional Resources – FAFSA, Grants, Loans, Scholarships, and others

Student Success Skill Instruction:

  • Time Management and Organizational Skills
  • Note Taking, Study Skills and Reducing Test Anxiety

Personal Development:

  • Financial and Economic Literacy Workshops
  • Referrals to local, state, and federal resources

Contact information:
Veterans Upward Bound
Suffolk University – Center for Access & Opportunity
73 Tremont St, 7th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
Tel: (617) 725-4102

Massachusetts Veteran Recreation Benefits

Resident Hunting/Fishing Licenses for Military Personnel

Active-duty, non-resident military personnel stationed in Massachusetts can get hunting and fishing licenses for the resident rate.

Freshwater fishing and hunting licenses for people with disabilities

Licenses are free to anglers and hunters with certain disabilities. This is not specifically for disabled veterans; however, this is an available option if you meet certain criteria. If it’s your first license, you need to apply to get a free license.

What you need:

If you are blind, have an intellectual disability, or have paraplegia and are applying for a license for the first time, you must:

Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife
ATTN: Licensing
100 Cambridge Street, 6th floor
Boston, MA 02114

Your license will be mailed to you. After you’ve applied the first time, you’ll be able to renew and print your license online without submitting another form.

State Park Parking Fees

Day-use parking fees are waived for vehicles bearing a disabled veteran license plate from any state. This waiver does not apply to camping fees.