Iowa State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Iowa State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits – Iowa

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs Website for more detailed information:

Iowa State Veterans Homes

For more information, visit:
Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.
Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.
Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.
Veterans Homes Locations:

Cost is based on need; however, no one will be turned away. Spouses may be eligible for
admission. Veterans must have an honorable discharge.

State Veterans Cemetery

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans’ Cemeteries:

Keokuk National Cemetery 1701 J Street
Keokuk, IA 52632
Phone: 319-524-1304
FAX: 319-524-8118

State Veterans Cemeteries:

Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs 7105 NW 70th Avenue
Johnston, IA 50131
Robert C. King, Director
Phone: 515-242-5331
FAX: 515-996-9102
Iowa Veterans Cemetery 34024 Veterans Memorial Drive

Adel, IA 50003

Keith Blum, Cemetery Superintendent
Phone: 515-996-9048
FAX: 515-996-9102
Iowa Veterans Home Cemetery 1301 Summit Street

Marshalltown, IA 50158

Phone: 641-752-1501

The Iowa Veterans Cemetery began operation on July 3, 2008. Located 10 miles west of Des
Moines, near Van Meter, the cemetery is available to all veterans, their spouses, and dependent
children for burial. Honorably discharged veterans will be interred at no charge and
spouses/dependents will be buried for a $300 fee.
Information: Iowa Veterans Cemetery

Apply: Registration for Burial Determination

Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of
Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though
they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans
Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

IDVA Benefit Specialists

The IDVA staff includes benefits specialists, accredited by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, who specialize in federal VA benefits, as well as state benefits. They advise veterans and family members of veterans concerning federal VA benefits they may be entitled to receive. These include pension, disability compensation, and other ancillary benefits. Benefit specialists can also represent claimants with federal claims and review all correspondence pursuant to those claims to determine if an award action or denial was correct. For additional information, please call the IDVA office at 515-252-4698 or 800-838-4692 and ask for a benefit specialist.

Iowa Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Active duty, retired pay and SBP (Survivor Benefit Plan) payments are tax-free. Contact your county office to apply for a Homestead exemption.

Military Retirement Tax Exemption

This legislation, from the year 2014, exempts federal retirement pay received for military service and survivor benefits from state individual income tax.

Homeownership Assistance

For more information, visit the following website:  Military Service Member Homeownership Assistance

This $5,000 grant is available to veterans buying a home in the state of Iowa. Members must have served on or after Sep. 11, 2001, or at least 90 days between Aug. 2, 1990 and Apr. 6, 1991; and purchased a home after Mar. 10, 2005.

Contact: To learn more, call 1-800-432-7230

Property Tax Exemption

This benefit reduces a veteran’s assessed home value for property tax purposes by $1,852. In order to qualify, a service member must have served on active duty during a period of war or for a minimum of 18 months during peacetime.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Annual refiling is required.

The amount of exemption can vary. You must own the property on July 1 of each claim year.

File your claim with the local assessor by July 1.


Find your local tax assessor at this link:

Disabled Veteran’s Homestead Tax Credit

Visit the following website for more information and for the application:

Description: Originally adopted to encourage home ownership for disabled veterans. The current credit is equal to 100% of the actual tax levy.

Eligibility: Veterans with a permanent service-connected disability rating of 100% qualify for this credit. Veterans also qualify who have a permanent and total disability rating based on individual unemployability paid at the 100% disability rate. The veteran must own and occupy the property as a homestead on July 1 of each year, declare residency in Iowa for income tax purposes and occupy the property for at least six months each year. Persons in the military or nursing homes who do not occupy the home are also eligible. A surviving spouse of a disabled veteran receiving DIC payments also qualifies. The surviving spouse as a beneficiary of the estate of a veteran who received the credit may continue to receive the credit as long as the spouse resides in the qualified homestead and does not remarry.

Filing Requirements: Claim must be filed on or before July 1. A current Summary of Benefits Letter and a DD214 must be included with your application.

Injured Veterans Grant Program

Visit the following website for more information and the application:

This grant provides up to $10,000 to service members or discharged veterans who sustained serious or very serious combat-related injuries in a combat theater of operations after Sep. 11, 2001.

The veteran shall remain eligible for the grant after discharge from the military so long as the veteran continues to receive medical treatment or rehabilitation services for the specific injury or illness.

Iowa Veterans Trust Fund

Visit the following website for more information and the application:

The State of Iowa has established a multi-million dollar fund to provide certain services to veterans. Beginning in December 2007, interest from this fund has been available to provide relief for Iowa veterans and their families.

Income. Shall not exceed 300% of poverty guidelines.

Benefits Available to veterans and spouses:

  • Travel – For wounded veterans directly related to follow-up medical care.
  • Unemployment Assistance – Due to prolonged physical, mental condition or disability
    causing their unemployment. $3,000 in a twelve month period, with a lifetime maximum
    of $6,000.
  • Job Training or Education Assistance – Lifetime maximum of $5,000.
  • Individual or Family Counseling – Up to $5,000 in a twelve month period.
  • Dental – Up to $10,000 lifetime maximum.
  • Audiology – Up to $1,500.00 per ear in a twelve month period.
  • Emergency Housing Repairs – Up to $10,000 lifetime maximum.
  • Emergency Vehicle Repairs – Up to $10,000 lifetime maximum not exceeding the value
    of the vehicle.
  • Emergency Vehicle Purchase – Up to $5,000 ONE TIME use.
  • Emergency Room – Lifetime maximum of $7,500.
  • Durable Medical Equipment – $5,000 in a twelve-month period. Lifetime maximum
    benefit $10,000.

The application process starts at your local VA office.

Iowa Veteran Employment Preference

For more information, visit the following website:

Honorably discharged veterans get five percentage points added to their grade or score attained in qualifying examinations for jobs with the state, public works, counties, cities, and schools.

An additional five points are added to the grade or score for veterans getting VA disability or pension.

Veterans Designation on Iowa Drivers Licenses and IDs

Honorably discharged veterans may request the “Veteran” designation be placed on their driver’s license or non-operator identification card.

Veteran must present a copy of their DD214 or applicable discharge document to the Iowa DOT. The veteran must then complete an Iowa DOT Application form.

Note: Veterans may request the “veteran” designation anytime they seek a new card, not just at the time of renewal. The cost for a duplicate DL or nonoperator ID is $10.00.

Information: Veterans License Designation
Apply: Veteran License Application

Contact your local DMV to determine if any additional documentation is required.

License Plates

Honorably discharged veterans are eligible to purchase specialty veteran license plates for their vehicle. These special plates are available for an additional charge through the Iowa Department of Transportation.

Information: Iowa DOT Military License Plates (military options are at the bottom)
Apply: Veterans License Plate Applications

Disabled Veteran Plates

Numbered plate fee: Seriously disabled veterans who have been provided with an automobile or other vehicle by the United States government are exempt from the payment of the registration fee for one vehicle.

Personalized or special plate fee: A disabled veteran may obtain a set of nonmilitary special registration plates or personalized plates by paying the additional fees associated with those plates.

United States Armed Forces Plates: A disabled veteran who applies for any type of special registration plates associated with service in the United States armed forces shall be issued one set of the special registration plates at no charge and subject to no annual registration fee if the owner is eligible.

How to apply:

You must submit a certification from the Veterans Administration that the motor vehicle has been provided to you by the United States government under the provisions of Sections 1901 to 1903, Title 38 of the United States Code. The certification shall be submitted to the county treasurer’s office in the veteran’s county of residence when the motor vehicle is first registered.

Your plates will be sent to your county treasurer’s office and staff will notify you when your plates are ready. Plates must be assigned to a vehicle within 90 days or the plates will be voided and no refund issued. Your current plates must be exchanged for your new plates.

Iowa Veteran Education Benefits

Iowa offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list: or

Iowa Department of Education

The Iowa Department of Education has been designated by the governor of the state of Iowa as the location for the Iowa State Approving Agency. The State Approving Agency is responsible for approving all GI Bill programs in Iowa for veterans and other eligible persons. (Program approval is a function of the State not the Department of Veterans Affairs.)

Information: Iowa Department of Education Veterans and Military Education

Contact Information:

Michael Dommer, Consultant –
Phone: 515.281.3516
Rebecca Griglione, Assistant –
Phone: 515.281.3317 Ext. 3317

Post 9/11 GI Bill Information

War Orphans Tuition Assistance

Children of Iowa veterans killed in action following Sep. 11, 2001 are eligible for up to $11,844.00 per year in tuition assistance at an Iowa post-secondary institution. Children qualify up to the age of 26.

Dependents of those killed in action prior to Sep. 11, 2001 are eligible for $600 per year with a maximum of $3,000.

Residency is required to receive this benefit.

Information: War Orphan Tuition Assistance
Apply: War Orphan Tuition Assistance Application

Note: Applicants cannot receive both DIC and The War Orphans Fund.

National Guard Tuition Benefits

Iowa National Guard members in good standing are eligible for up to $4,637 per semester for full time enrollment. Part-time students are eligible for $196 per semester hour. Additionally, Guard members who are mobilized will receive a tuition refund.

Information: National Guard Tuition Benefits
Contact Information: To learn more call, 515-252-4579

Operation Recognition High School

This program furnishes an honorary high school diploma to qualifying veterans who did not complete high school (in Iowa) due to armed service enlistment. The application form is used by the IDVA and the Department of Education to establish eligibility for honorably discharged veterans.

Apply: Operation Recognition High School

Branstad/Reynolds Scholarship Fund

The Branstad-Reynolds Scholarship fund provides post-secondary educational scholarships for children of deceased military service members who died while in an active military status after September 11, 2001.

Scholarships may be used to subsidize the costs of tuition, books, fees, housing, special tools and equipment required for coursework, school-approved tutoring, and any other required educational expenses. Once all educational expenses are met, any remaining funds will be released to the student to cover other expenses as needed.

NOTE: Annual deadline is December 31st of the current year.

Information and Application: Branstad/Reynolds Scholarship Fund

Iowa Recreational Benefits

Iowa Veteran Lifetime Hunting/Fishing License

Veterans in receipt of at least a 0% service-connected disability can receive a lifetime hunting or fishing license for a $7.00 fee. In order to qualify, the Iowa resident must have served on active federal service and was disabled as a result of that service.

Apply: Hunting and Fishing License Application