Idaho State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Idaho State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits- Idaho

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the Idaho Division of Veterans Services Website for more detailed information:

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit:

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:

Applicants may be peacetime or wartime veterans, with wartime veterans retaining priority admission status. Applicants must have been discharged under honorable conditions and be an Idaho resident.  Applicants must be unemployable as a result of age, illness, or disability, and must apply for and be eligible for Medicaid benefits or must pay a monthly fee.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Snake River Canyon National Cemetery
1585 East Elm Street (E 4150 N)
Buhl, ID 83316
Burial Space:

State Veterans Cemeteries:

Idaho State Veterans Cemetery at Blackfoot
2651 Cromwell Lane
Blackfoot, ID 83221
VA Grant Funded:
Idaho State Veterans Cemetery at Boise
10100 Horseshoe Bend Road
Boise, ID 83714
VA Grant Funded:


Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Idaho Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Military pay is tax free if stationed out-of-state.

Military retirement and SBP payments are tax-free for those over 65 or disabled and over 62, as well as their unremarried surviving spouses.

Property Tax

For more information, please visit the following website:

Veterans with a 100% service-connected disability, or those rated unemployable by the VA may reduce the property on their home and up to one acre of land by as much as $1,500. The program doesn’t have an income limit.

Surviving spouses can continue to receive this reduction, however it is not transferable to a new property after the death of the qualifying veteran.

How to apply:

  • Contact your county assessor for application or download a copy.
  • Get a current letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs confirming your 100% service-connected disability rating or your 100% compensation due to individual unemployability as of January 1st.
  • Complete the application. The assessor’s office will help you. You must file the application with your assessor’s office between January 1st and April 15th.

Veterans with at least a 10% service-connected disability may reduce the property tax on their home by up to $1,320 if they have income of $31,900 or less for 2020.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Annual refiling is required.

Find your local tax assessor at this link:

More Tax Relief Options

You may also qualify and apply for the following tax relief programs in addition to or instead of the Veterans Property Tax Reduction benefit:

Property Tax Reduction – This program reduces the amount of taxes qualified individuals pay on their home and up to one acre of land. Benefits range from $250 to $1,500. There’s an income limit for this program.

Property Tax Deferral – This program defers the taxes on the home and up to one acre of land for qualified individuals. The deferred taxes become a lien on the property and have to be repaid to the state of Idaho. There’s an income limit for this program.

Contact your county assessor for more program information and an application.

Find your local tax assessor at this link:

Idaho Veterans License Plates Fee Waiver

Visit the following website for more information:

One set of no fee Disabled Veteran or Disabled Veteran Purple Heart Plates are available to qualifying veterans.

Contact information: Call the Veterans Administration Regional Office in Boise, Idaho at (208) 429-2145 or (800) 827- 1000 to find out if you meet eligibility requirements and to request a Disabled Veteran Plate Eligibility Letter.

You may also visit their office at 550 West Fort Street in Boise.

Disabled Veterans:

Applicants must be veterans with a 100% service-connected permanent disability.

Limited to one set

Disabled Purple Heart:

A purple heart recipient who qualifies for a disabled veteran fee exemption under section 49- 403, Idaho Code, shall have a choice between a purple heart recipient license plate or a disabled veteran license plate and shall not be charged a plate fee or a fee for registration or reregistration of the motor vehicle. The provisions of this subsection shall apply to the vehicle originally purchased under this authorization and also to any vehicle subsequently purchased and owned by the same veteran. The privilege shall not extend to more than one (1) vehicle owned by the veteran at a time. A fee would apply for qualifying applicants applying for a second set of Purple Heart plates.

Please contact the Idaho Division of Veterans Services for more information on eligibility requirements.

Grocery Tax Credit

For more information, visit the following website:

The grocery tax credit offsets the sales tax you pay on groceries throughout the year. For most Idaho residents it averages $100 per person.

You must be an Idaho resident to be eligible, and you may be able to claim a grocery credit for your dependents, too.

Veterans age 65 or older, or disabled and age 62 or older, may claim the Grocery Tax Credit even when not required to file an income tax return if VA disability benefits are the veteran’s only income.

The above website provides a nice worksheet that will help you determine what form to use to claim your credit refund.

Idaho Veteran’s Emergency Relief Grant

Visit the following website for more information and application links:

Relief grants are provided to eligible individuals for the purchase of food, fuel, shelter, and other necessities of daily living in a time of temporary emergency need.

The grant will not exceed $1,500 with a lifetime grant limit of $1,500.

  • No grants will be made to residents of domiciliary or long-term care facilities or to a potential recipient who refuses to take advantage of available government benefits or federal-state- local relief.
  • Applicants will be required to obtain certification that they have applied for available assistance programs.
  • Emergency relief funds may not be used to duplicate assistance from other sources.

Basic Eligibility:

  • Idaho Resident
  • Veteran Separated under Honorable Conditions
  • Idaho as home of record

Idaho Veterans Employment Benefits

State Employment Preference

Visit the following website for more information:

Idaho state employment gives preference points for active-duty veterans. Honorably discharged veterans get 5 preference points, disabled veterans get 10 preference points. Unremarried surviving spouses can get the same points as the veteran.

Occupational Licenses

Contact local VSO for assistance:

Idaho offers military members and their families expedited processing for occupational licenses. They also accept credit for military training that is relevant to the occupational license/registration being applied for.

Idaho residents on active, reserve or guard duty do not have to pay any professional or occupational license or renewal fees while in the military. Also, service members holding an occupational or professional license will have that license’s expiration date extended until six months after they leave the service.

The state of Idaho may accept your military education, training, and experience toward meeting the qualifications for a license, certification, or registration. Idaho also expedites license applications of military spouses.

Educational Benefits

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list:

Idaho Veteran Recreation Benefits

Idaho State Parks Veterans Pass

Visit the following link for more information:

Link to application:

Idaho resident 100% service-connected disabled veterans get free access and camping at Idaho State Parks.

Hunting & Fishing Licenses

Visit the following website for more information:

Resident disabled veterans may be eligible for reduced fees for licenses and tags.

Nonresident disabled veterans with a VA disability rating of at least 40% are eligible for nonresident reduced fees for licenses and tags.

Annual Disabled Veterans Elk Hunt

Visit the following website for more information:

Contact information: Applications can be either:

  • mailed to: Idaho Division of Veterans Services, Attn: Disabled Veterans Deer or Elk Hunt, 351 Collins Road, Boise, Idaho 83702
  • faxed to: 208-780-1301
  • emailed to:

Idaho resident veterans with a 40% service-connected disability rating or higher can apply for an opportunity to participate in a big-game hunt when they might otherwise be prevented from doing so by the seriousness of their disability.

Application deadlines apply.

Once an application is submitted, a select number of veterans will be chosen to participate. The hunt takes place on a private ranch. The selected Veterans will be notified by IDVS and will be contacted by the ranch to coordinate hunt dates and other specifics. Hunts typically take place in October or early November.