Connecticut State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Connecticut State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits – Connecticut

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the Connecticut State Department of Veterans Affairs for more detailed information:

Connecticut Veterans Home

For more information, visit:

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

The Connecticut Veterans Home in Rocky Hill is open to veteran residents of Connecticut with an other than dishonorable discharge. There is both a residential facility and a skilled-care facility.

There is an income-based fee.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans Cemeteries: There are currently no National Cemeteries in Connecticut

State Veterans Cemeteries:

Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs
287 West Street
Rocky Hill, CT 06067
VA Grant Funded:
Connecticut State Veterans Cemetery
317 Bow Lane
Middletown, CT 06457
VA Grant Funded:
Colonel Raymond F. Gates Memorial Cemetery
392 West Street
Rocky Hill, CT 06067
VA Grant Funded:

Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Connecticut Veteran Financial Benefits

Property Tax Exemptions

For more information, visit the following website:

Connecticut offers a unique array of property tax exemptions for homeowners. Some of these benefits can be overlapped or combined in a variety of ways. Work with your local tax assessor to determine which exemptions you qualify for. Consider asking about the following:

Standard Exemptions for Veterans: Veterans, who have ninety days of wartime service, including Merchant Marines, who served during WWII, are eligible for a $1,500 exemption for property tax purposes (e.g., real property or automobiles). You have the option to choose to apply this exemption to your real estate or automobile tax. Certain veterans, who do not own real property or a motor vehicle, may be eligible for a tax refund if they are leasing a motor vehicle.

Additional Exemption for Veterans:
(1) Those who meet the income requirements under 12-81g(a) and who file for an additional exemption receive an additional exemption equal to double the amount of the basic veterans exemption.
(2) Those who do not meet the income requirements under 12-81g(a) shall be entitled to an additional exemption equal to one-half the amount of the basic veterans exemption. The one-half additional exemption will not be reimbursed by the State.
(3) Beginning with the 2013 Grand List any municipality may, by vote of its legislative body, increase the additional veterans exemption from double the basic exemption to triple the basic exemption for any veteran entitled to an exemption under 12-81(20) who has a 100% disability rating from the Department of Veterans Affairs and who meets certain income limits established under Public Act 13-224.

Surviving spouses of veterans may also be eligible for this benefit.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.
Find your local tax assessor at this link:

File between February 1st and October 1st. If you miss the filing date, contact your local tax assessor, and ask about filing an extension of Time to File.

After approval, refile biennially (every 2 years).

Income Tax

Visit the following website for more information: and

In Connecticut, Active-duty pay is tax-free if stationed out-of-state, provided you don't own a home in Connecticut or live there for more than 30 days per year.

Military retirement pay and Survivor Benefit Plan payments are also tax-free.

For Further Information: Call DRS during business hours, Monday through Friday:

  • 800-382-9463 (Connecticut calls outside the Greater Hartford calling area only), or
  • 860-297-5962 (from anywhere).
  • TTY, TDD, and Text Telephone users only may transmit inquiries anytime by calling 860-297-4911.

Connecticut Wartime Service Bonus

Visit the following website for more information and for the application:

Wartime Bonus for National Guard Members

Visit the following website for more information:

The Wartime Service Bonus is a financial grant awarded to members of the Connecticut National Guard for their service on active duty in support of the Global War on Terrorism.

Current or former guard members can receive a grant of $50 for every month they served on active-duty. The award is up to $500 for non-combat service and $1,200 for service in a combat zone.


  • Current or former member of the Connecticut National Guard
  • Served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 for 90 consecutive days or greater as a member of a reserve component of the US armed Forces and;
  • Was mobilized in support of a military operation (ie: Operation Enduring Freedom)

The application and required documents can be mailed, faxed or emailed to the Connecticut Military Department.

If approved, a check will be mailed to the applicant’s mailing address from the Office of the State Comptroller.

Connecticut State Veteran Employment Benefits

For state and municipal employment exams, a wartime veteran eligible for or receiving VA compensation receives an additional ten points. A wartime veteran not eligible for VA compensation or pension receives five additional points. A spouse of a qualified veteran is also eligible for additional points.

CDL Skills Test Exemption

More information is available at the following website:

Military members or veterans within one year of separation who operated military vehicles that would require a CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) in the civilian world, can skip the skills test portion of a CDL exam.

All applicants need to pass the required knowledge test(s) based on the type of vehicle they plan to drive. Knowledge tests are provided at no fee if one of the following apply to you:

  • Active-duty status
  • Recently separated (within one year of application) military personnel
  • Reservist military personnel

Veterans Agriculture Program

For more information, visit the following website:

Some veterans are eligible for sales and use tax exemptions for property used exclusively in commercial agricultural production.

The waiver includes veterans who never engaged in the practice of farming or have farmed for less than two years.

This program is administered by the Connecticut Department of Agriculture.

Connecticut Veteran Education Benefits

Connecticut offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list:

Veterans Tuition Waiver

Visit the following website for more information:

Tuition and fees at State Regional Community & Technical Colleges as well as State Universities may be waived for CT resident veterans who served at least 90 days of active duty during a period of war. A veteran’s dependents can also qualify for the tuition waiver if the veteran is declared missing in action while serving in the armed forces after Jan. 1, 1960.

It is recommended that you contact the VSO officer at the institution you are interested in attending for assistance and for the needed documentation.

The state tuition waiver also covers the amount of tuition which exceeds the tuition benefit received under the federal 2008 Post-9/11 Veteran Educational Assistance Act.

College costs other than tuition – such as for books, student activity and course fees, parking and room and board – are not waived.

When applying for admission or registering for courses, bring a copy of your separation paper (Form DD-214).

Waivers may be reduced by the amount of education reimbursement you may receive from your employer.

A list of participating programs/campuses can be found at the following link:

ACE Guide for College Credit

More information is available at the following website:

Connecticut State Colleges & Universities proudly welcome military students who have served and/or are currently serving our country. It is possible that military service – training, coursework or occupation – can earn the equivalent of college credit towards a degree program.

You can search the ACE Military Guide for courses and occupations using the ACE identification number, military course number or title, training location, dates completed, or subject and level.

Child of Deceased or Disabled Veteran Education Grant

Visit the following website for more information: or

The Board of Regents for Higher Learning can provide a grant for tuition and fees to approved institutions of learning to the dependent children of qualified veterans.


The veteran was:

  • Killed in action, OR
  • Died because of accident or illness sustained while performing active-duty service, OR
  • Has been rated as permanently and totally disabled by the VA, OR
  • Is MIA in Vietnam


  • Was a Connecticut resident at the time of their induction or reenlistment. The student:
  • Must be between the ages of 16 and 23.
  • Must have applied for FAFSA.

The following institutions have been approved by the board:

  • An educational or training institution of college grade or any other institution of higher learning or commercial training
  • A state college
  • Technical education and career school or technical institute
  • Any accredited military preparatory school if the dependent is preparing to enter:
    • the United States Military Academy at West Point,
    • the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis,
    • the United States Coast Guard Academy at New London or
    • the United States Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs.

The grant shall be awarded based on need and shall not exceed $400 per year for each dependent.

Contact the campus VA official for assistance with filing for this grant.

Connecticut Veteran Recreation Benefits

State Parks

Visit the following website for more information:—CT-State-Parks-and-Forests

Connecticut offers a free lifetime pass to all state parks and forests for Connecticut residents with a service-connected disability.

Each pass is issued to a specific person and can only be used when presented by that individual. The passes are non-transferable. They are not valid for camping or special events having separate admission charges and may not be used for commercial purposes.

A Disabled Veteran Pass may be obtained in person at several locations around the state, or send a LEGIBLE photocopy of your current CT driver’s license or other legal proof of residency AND your VA card or VA Benefits Letter indicating a service connected disability to:

DEEP Disabled Veteran Pass, State Parks Division, 79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106-5127, for more information please call (860) 424-3200.

If you have questions or need additional information on Connecticut State Parks and Forests, please contact the State Parks Division by e-mail at or by phone at 860-424-3200.