Colorado State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Colorado State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits – Colorado

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the Colorado Division of Veterans Affairs website for more detailed information:

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit:

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Fort Logan National Cemetery
4400 W. Kenyon Ave.
Denver, CO 80236
Burial Space:

Fort Lyon National Cemetery
15700 County Road HH
Las Animas, CO 81054
Burial Space:
Pikes Peak National Cemetery
10545 Drennan Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80925
Burial Space: Open

State Veterans Cemeteries:

Veterans Memorial Cemetery of Western Colorado
2830 Riverside Parkway
Grand Junction, CO 81501
VA Grant Funded:

Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Colorado Veteran Financial Benefits

Property Tax Exemption

Visit the following website for more information:

There is a Property Tax Exemption for 50% of the first $200,000 of a home’s value for 100% permanently and totally disabled service-connected veterans. If you are receiving 100% disability solely as a result of an individual unemployability rating you do not qualify


Applicant must be a one hundred percent permanently disabled veteran who has been rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as permanently disabled.,(VA unemployability awards do not meet the requirement for determining an applicant\’s eligibility.)

Applicants must have owned and occupied the property as their primary residence on January 1st of the year in which they are applying for the exemption. (If the veteran\’s spouse is an owner and the veteran is not, the veteran can still qualify if the couple was married on or before January 1 and both have occupied the property as their primary residence since January 1).

Fifty percent of the first $200,000 in actual property value is exempt from property taxation.


Disabled Veterans who qualify for the property tax exemption must submit an application to the Division of Veteran Affairs between January 1st and July 1st of the year you qualify.

The State Treasurer’s office distributes state funds to the county where the exempted property is located.
Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Annual refiling is often required.

Find your local tax assessor at this link:

Income Tax On Active Duty Pay

More information is available at the following website:

Active duty military pay is tax-free if stationed and spend at least 305 days OCONUS. Spouse can be exempt too if they meet same requirements.

Income Tax On Retired Military Pay

More information is available at the following website:

Military retirees can exclude part of their retirement income from state taxes, the amount varies by age:

  • those under age 55 can exclude up to $7,500
  • those ages 55-64 can exclude up to $20,000
  • those age 65 and over can exclude up to $24,000.

Same rules apply for Survivor Benefit Plan payments.

Disabled Veterans License Plate

Veterans meeting the requirements may apply through the Division of Motor Vehicles for one free Disabled Veteran Plate.

To apply you will need to submit:

  • Completed application disabled veteran license plate application
  • DD214 demonstrating honorable discharge
  • An eligibility letter stating: 1) the veteran has a 50% or greater disability and 2) the disability is service connected and 3) the disability is permanent. The Colorado Division of Veterans Affairs can assist veterans with this letter.
  • The registration of the vehicle if currently registered or a title receipt or title completion notice from the County.
  • Proof of Emissions (if required)
  • Proof of Insurance

Submit the packet to:

In person

Colorado Department of Revenue Division of Motor Vehicles
Registration Section
1881 Pierce Street
Lakewood, CO 80214

By Mail
Colorado Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Registration
Denver, CO 80261-0016


For more information, visit the following website:
Contact the Special Discount Office: 303-299-2667

Veterans with a service-connection of 50% or more can receive a discounted regular bus and train services with a SDC card (Individuals with Disabilities Special Discount Card).

Personal attendants, aides and trainers accompanying passengers who have a disability are permitted to ride for free.

An application and supporting documentation must be submitted to receive the card.

Options to Apply for the Special Discount Card

Email this information to:

You may also mail a physical copy of this packet to:
RTD Special Discount
1660 Blake Street – BLK-12
Denver, CO 80202


You may apply in person by bringing a completed application, eligibility documentation, and a valid government-issued photo ID card to the following location:

1660 Blake Street, Denver
Monday – Thursday:

  • 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.
  • 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M.


  • 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.
  • 1:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M.

Colorado State Veteran Employment Benefits

Colorado gives veterans’ preference in the form of extra points added to the state employment examination. Eligibility requirements are as follows:

Five-point preference for:

  • honorably separated active-duty veterans who served during a time of war or in receipt of a campaign medal.
  • the spouse of a veteran unable to work because of a service-connected disability
  • the widow/widower of a deceased veteran who was or would have been entitled to veterans’ preference.

Ten point preference for:

  • honorably separated veterans who are receiving VA disability or pension.

Colorado Educational Benefits

Colorado offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list:

Colorado National Guard Education Benefits (For active-duty Guard Members Only)

For more information, visit the following website:

Any member of the Colorado National Guard is eligible for state tuition assistance, up to 100% tuition paid at any CO state-funded school depending on funding available.


  • Title 32: Traditional (M-Day)
  • AGR
  • Federal Technician
  • One-Time-Occasional-Tour (OTOT)
  • Title 10: Deployment/Call up

Ineligible Service Status:

  • Title 10: Active Duty (not part of CO National Guard)
  • Title 38 Veteran/Retiree
  • Reservists
  • Spouse/dependents

Deadlines throughout the year for each term.
Colorado National Guard member must serve 2 years for each year granted.

Colorado Veteran Recreation Benefits

For more information, visit the following website:

Hunting & Fishing License for Disabled Veterans

For Colorado residents who are also disabled veterans, the CPW offers a Free Lifetime VA Combo License.

To qualify for this license, a disabled veteran must provide the following documentation:

  • Proof of a service-connected disability of 60% or more, as rated by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs.
  • Any person born on or after January 1st, 1949, must have completed a hunter’s safety course before applying for the VA Combo License.
  • Purple Heart recipients, who can provide documented proof, are also eligible for a VA Combo License.

For more information about the small game/fishing license, or to obtain an application, please call (303) 291-7235.

In order to obtain the free hunting and fishing license, disabled veterans must supply a proof of disability letter from the VA.

Veteran’s License and Pass application:

Free State Park Admission

Call 303-297-1192 or visit for more information.

All active-duty members and veterans are admitted free to Colorado state parks for the entire month of August and on veterans day. There is no residency requirement.

State Park Admission for Disabled Veterans

Veterans with a Disabled Veterans License Plate receive free admission to any state park or recreation area.

Colorado resident disabled veterans with at least a 60% disability can get discounted admission to all Colorado state parks with a Columbine pass.

Columbine Annual Pass

For more information, visit the following website:

The Columbine Pass allows Colorado residents with a permanent and total disability to:

  • Purchase an annual state park pass for $14.
  • Transfer the pass between vehicles, allowing the Columbine Pass holder and others in the same vehicle to enter the park. The pass holder must be present for the pass to be valid.
  • Visit any of Colorado’s state parks for 12 continuous months from the purchase date. (Please note: Visitors to Cherry Creek State Park are charged an additional $3 annual fee for the Water Basin Authority.)

Discounted Camping

Disabled Veterans over 64 qualify for discounted camping in State parks Sunday – Thursday excluding holidays.

Wounded Warrior Program

In 2010, the governor of Colorado signed a bill authorizing the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission to issue licenses for the US Armed Forces Wounded Warrior program. In response, the Wildlife Commission set aside a number of free licenses for members of the Wounded Warrior or Safe Harbor program. While there are limits on the number of licenses that can be issued (100 each female deer, elk and pronghorn and 100 total male deer, elk and pronghorn), the goal of the CPW is to issue as many of these licenses as possible to qualified members of the Wounded Warrior program.

Wounded Warrior Program requirements include:

  • Must be a member of the US Armed Forces and a Colorado resident or stationed in Colorado.
  • Must be returning from post-Sept. 11, 2001 overseas contingency operation.
  • Must be assigned to a military medical treatment facility at the time of application.
  • Must be a qualifying member of the United States Armed Services Wounded Warrior or Safe Harbor Program.

Applications for the Wounded Warrior program are available from the CPW Limited Licensing Unit at (303) 291-7380.