Can You Get VA Disability for Tinnitus?

Can You Get VA Disability for Tinnitus?

VA Disability Lawyer Kalamazoo

Tinnitus is one of the most claimed VA disabilities in the United States.

Yet, too many veterans don’t receive the compensation they deserve for this condition. Since it can be difficult to prove that tinnitus is connected to military service, we recommend hiring one of our VA disability lawyers.

Our veterans attorneys in Kalamazoo, MI will be able to walk you through the steps of appealing the VA’s decision to deny your claim.

What is Tinnitus?

Tinnitus is a symptom, not a disease. For example, many veterans experience tinnitus as an underlying symptom of traumatic brain injury (TBI). Others may experience tinnitus after head or neck trauma during their military service. Our job as VA disability attorneys is to help you connect your tinnitus to your military service. That way, you’ll be able to receive the VA disability benefits you deserve.

It’s a misconception that tinnitus is only a “ringing in the ears.” In reality, you may have tinnitus if you hear any sound that doesn’t actually exist. These sounds include buzzing, whistling, swooshing, clicking, and hissing. In rare cases of tinnitus, a person may claim to hear music.

What is the Maximum VA Rating for Tinnitus?

The maximum rating for tinnitus is 10%, regardless of whether this condition affects one or both ears. Yet, it’s also possible to have more than one service-connected condition that affects your overall rating. If your claim has been denied, our veterans attorneys can help you prove your tinnitus is a VA disability.

How Do Defective 3M Earplugs Affect My Claim?

Did you serve in the military between 2003 and 2015? If so, you may have worn defective 3M combat earplugs. In 2000, 3M tested their dual-ended earplugs and found them to be faulty. Yet, these earplugs were still issued to active duty service members for more than a decade.

While these combat earplugs have been discontinued, the hearing loss or ringing in the ears is permanent for many veterans. Call our VA disability lawyers today if you suspect you were given these defective combat earplugs. You may be eligible to receive compensation for service-connected tinnitus.

Should I Get an Independent Medical Examination?

How you experience tinnitus may be different from other veterans, which is why it’s important to get an independent medical examination (IME). An IME is conducted by a doctor with no ties to you or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The VA is more likely to believe the results of an IME because they are impartial, which helps build your case. If you suspect you have tinnitus, get an IME and hearing test as soon as possible.

Do I Need a VA Disability Lawyer?

Yes! Our VA disability lawyers fight aggressively for your rights, giving you peace of mind that you’re doing everything you can to support your claim. VA law is always changing, which is why it’s in your best interests to hire one of our veterans attorneys. Our veterans attorneys will be able to evaluate your case to see if it’s possible to appeal the VA’s denial of your claim.

Often, veterans are unable to show how their tinnitus is connected to their military service. Our VA lawyers can help you avoid this common mistake so you have the best chance of receiving disability benefits.

Our VA disability lawyers in Kalamazoo, MI work hard to help you receive the compensation you deserve for tinnitus. To request a free case evaluation, call the VA Disability Group at (844) VET-LAWS.