Wisconsin State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Wisconsin State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits – Wisconsin

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including: https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/wisconsin-state-veterans-benefits.html

Visit the North Carolina Department of Military and Veterans Affairs website for more detailed information: https://dva.wi.gov/Pages/home.aspx

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit: https://www.nasvh.org/state-homes/statedir.cfm

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:


Eligibility varies between each facility.

You don’t have to be a Wisconsin resident to be admitted, however, Wisconsin residents get priority.

You must have an honorable discharge to be admitted.

Spouses, surviving spouses, and Gold Star Parents are also eligible for admission.

There is a monthly fee.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit: https://www.cem.va.gov/find-cemetery/state.asp?STATE=WI

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Northwoods National Cemetery
4520 Lakewood Road
Harshaw, WI 54529
Burial Space: Open
Wood National Cemetery
5000 W National Ave. Bldg. 1301
Milwaukee, WI 53295
Burial Space:

Fort Winnebago Cemetery Soldiers’ Lot
Highway EE
Portage, WI 53901
Burial Space:

Forest Hill Cemetery Soldiers’ Lot
One Speedway Road
Madison, WI 53705
Burial Space:

Forest Home Cemetery Soldiers’ Lot
2405 West Forest Home Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53215
Burial Space:

Fort Crawford Cemetery Soldiers’ Lot
413 South Beaumont Road
Prairie du Chien, WI 53821
Burial Space:

Mound Cemetery Soldiers’ Lot
1147 West Boulevard
Racine, WI 53405
Burial Space:


State Veterans Cemeteries:

Wisconsin Veterans Affairs
201 West Washington Avenue
Madison, WI 53707
VA Grant Funded:
Central Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery
N2665, Highway QQ
King, WI 54946
VA Grant Funded:

Northern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery
N4063 Veterans Way
Spooner, WI 54801
VA Grant Funded:

Southern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery
21731 Spring Street
Union Grove, WI 53182
VA Grant Funded:


Many states have established state veterans’ cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

State Cemetery Eligibility: Honorably discharged Wisconsin resident veterans and their dependents are eligible for burial. There is no fee for the veteran’s burial and a small fee for the dependents.

Wisconsin Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Visit the following website for more information: https://dva.wi.gov/Pages/benefitsClaims/Financial-Tax-Benefits.aspx

All retirement payments received from the U.S. military retirement system are exempt from Wisconsin income tax.

The exemption extends to payments from the Retired Serviceman’s Family Protection Plan and the Survivor Benefit Plan.

Disabled Veterans Property Tax Credit

Visit the following website for more information: https://dva.wi.gov/Pages/benefitsClaims/Financial-Tax-Benefits.aspx

The Wisconsin Veterans & Surviving Spouses Property Tax Credit gives eligible veterans a property tax credit for their primary in-state residence and up to one acre of land.


  • Veterans rated 100% disabled or unemployable by the VA are eligible.
  • Surviving spouses may also be eligible if they are receiving DIC.
  • A veteran who had been a Wisconsin resident for a consecutive 5-year period after entering active-duty or was a Wisconsin resident when entering active-duty.
  • In addition to the above requirements the veteran would have had to be a resident of  Wisconsin at the time of death for an unmarried surviving spouse to qualify for the benefit.

Applicants who believe they may qualify should contact their local County or Tribal Veterans Service Office.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Annual refiling is often required.

Find your local tax assessor at this link: https://www.publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Assessor-and-Property-Tax-Records.htm

Health Care Aid and Subsistence Aid Grant

Visit the following website for more information: https://dva.wi.gov/Pages/benefitsClaims/Financial-Grants.aspx

The Health Care Aid and Subsistence Aid Grant program provides limited financial assistance to those in need and who have exhausted all other sources of aid. The grants may be used for specified health care and subsistence needs up to maximum grant limits.

There are 3 types of grants under this umbrella:

  • Health Care Aid
    • Provides assistance with: Dental, Vision, or Hearing care to qualifying applicants
  • Subsistence Aid
    • Financial aid may be provided when there is a loss of income due to illness, injury, or natural disaster and all other sources of aid have been exhausted. Applications for Subsistence Aid must be submitted to the department no later than 12 months following the verified loss of income.
  • Aid to Military Families
    • Qualifying family members may receive financial assistance in an economic emergency.
    • Emergencies include:
      • Medical emergencies
      • Major appliance or household utility failure
      • Vehicle repair
      • Natural disaster etc.

Click here for a link to the eligibility requirements and to apply for these grants online: https://dva.wi.gov/Pages/benefitsClaims/Eligibility.aspx

VA Medical Transportation

Wisconsin veterans may use one of two programs that assist veterans who need help getting to VA medical appointments. The Wisconsin Department of the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) operates several vans around the state that normally stop at predetermined locations and then transport to the various medical centers.

For a list of the current scheduled stops, please see the Wisconsin DAV website.

Veterans can schedule a stop by contacting the DAV Transportation Coordinator listed with the schedule. These rides are free of charge and available to all veterans based on financial need—you do not have to be disabled or belong to the DAV to get a ride on this network. Veterans should contact the DAV for additional information.

For veterans who live in locations not served by the DAV, most counties provide some type of assistance. Some counties provide this service free of charge and others require a small fee or donation. Veterans can request to have this fee waived in most cases if they are experiencing financial hardship.​ Veterans should contact their CVSO for information.

Veterans in need of assistance with transportation to a VA medical appointment should contact the appropriate agency as soon as notification of a scheduled VA appointment has been received. Requests for same day or next day travel may not be able to be accommodated.

Wisconsin Veteran Employment Benefits

Wisconsin offers several employment aids to its resident veterans. Visit the following link for a full list: https://dva.wi.gov/Pages/educationEmployment/EmploymentVeterans.aspx

Veterans Retraining Grants

Visit the following website for more information: https://dva.wi.gov/Pages/educationEmployment/Retraining-Grants-.aspx

Recently unemployed or underemployed veterans may receive a grant of up to $3,000 per year, for a maximum of two years, if they have a financial need while being retrained for employment.

The amount of the grant is determined by the applicant’s financial need as calculated by the WDVA.

Other education or retraining grants will be included when determining the veteran’s financial need for this program and should be included in the application.

Veterans may apply for the grant through their County or Tribal Veterans Service Office.

Veterans Employment Representatives

The Department of Labor’s Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS) program makes employment assistance available to all Wisconsin veterans. The Disabled Veteran’s Outreach Program (DVOP) and Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVER) are the two primary programs providing employment and training services to eligible veterans.

Veterans Representatives provide many services, including:

  • Providing the latest information on local labor markets.
  • Workshops and guidance on resume writing, job interviewing skills, and job seeking skills.
  • Identifying training and education needs.
  • Helping veterans make career choices by assessing aptitudes, interests, and abilities with aptitude tests and career counseling.

Locate a Veterans Employment Representative at your local Wisconsin Job Center by calling toll-free 888-258-9966, view the online staff directory​, or register online at  WiscJobsforVets .

​Veterans as Apprentices

Visit the following website for more information:  ​DWD Apprenticeship Webpage

In Wisconsin, the Department of Workforce Development Bureau of Apprentice Standards reviews and approves registered apprenticeship and formal on-the-job training programs for veterans.​

To determine if you are eligible to get employment through apprentice or on-the-job training programs which could lead to professional certification and/or licensing, review the Apprenticeship in Wisconsin booklet and contact an Apprenticeship Standards field representative in your area.

Veterans Preference

Visit the following website for more information: https://dpm.wi.gov/Pages/Job_Seekers/VeteranHiring.aspx

Honorably discharged veterans can have a number of points added to a passing score on a state civil service examination.

Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty during certain periods or campaigns are entitled to preference over non-veterans both in federal hiring and in retention during reductions in force.

Candidates who pass an examination are ranked by their scores. Those eligible for preference are entitled to have 5 to 10 extra points added to a passing grade of 70% or higher.

Qualified veterans with a VA-approved service-connected disability (SCD) rating of 10% or more are placed at the top of most civil service exam lists.

Some spouses of disabled or deceased veterans may also have points added to a passing score.

Troops to Teachers

For detailed information, including eligibility criteria, and to enroll in the TTT program, read the TTT brochure , visit the National Troops to Teachers website , or call 800-231-6242.

Wisconsin Troops to Teachers is a program of the U.S. Departments of Defense that assists departing active-duty military personnel, veterans and certain members/retirees of reserve components, to transition to new careers as public and charter school teachers.

The program provides information​, referral and financial assistance to eligible individuals who are interested in gaining certification and employment as teachers.

Teacher licensure/certification authority for the State of Wisconsin rests with the Department of Public Instruction (DPI). Current DPI standards require applicants for licensure/certification to have, in most cases, a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. Actual employment decisions are made exclusively by school districts.

The Troops to Teachers Regional Advisor or State Representative is available to help participants choose the license pathway and teacher training program most suited to meet individual needs.

For teacher vacancy information visit the Wisconsin Job Seeker website, the Wisconsin Education Career Access Network (WECAN), or contact the Regional Troops to Teachers office.

Professional Occupation Licensure

Wisconsin has several programs in place to help service members, veterans and their spouses return to work. The following links have more information about each of these programs.

Professional/Occupational Licensure Fee Waiver Program allows for one initial license fee waiver per qualified veteran. The waiver is not allowed for renewals; it is for one initial license only.

Professional/Occupational Licensure Military Training Equivalency relates to applying a service member’s military training towards satisfying the training for various professional licenses.

Professional/Occupational Licensure Reciprocity allows for reciprocal credentials for the spouses of service members whose duty stations (while on active duty) are assigned to Wisconsin.

Professional/Occupational Licensure Renewal​ relates to professional or occupational licensure renewal requirements for active-duty service members and their spouses.​

Veterans Law Enforcement Accelerated Development program allows veterans to take a reciprocity exam allowing them to waive Wisconsin’s preparatory law enforcement officer training to be eligible for Wisconsin law enforcement certification.

Wisconsin Veteran Education Benefits

Wisconsin offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list: https://dva.wi.gov/Pages/educationEmployment/Education.aspx

Academic Credit for Military Experience

Visit the following website for more information: https://dva.wi.gov/Pages/educationEmployment/Academic-Credit-for-Military-Experience.aspx

Service members, reservists, and veterans pursuing a college education may be able to obtain academic credit for military courses they have completed through the military.

Prior to enrollment, individuals should discuss possible credit with the Veterans’ Coordinator at the college or university they plan to attend.

The credit received may reduce attendance time and the cost of higher education.

Wisconsin G.I. Bill

Visit the following website for more information: https://dva.wi.gov/Pages/educationEmployment/Wisconsin-GI-Bill.aspx

The Wisconsin GI Bill pays full tuition and segregated fees for eligible veterans and their dependents. Eligible participants can receive up to eight full-time semesters or 128 credits, whichever is greater, at any University of Wisconsin System or Wisconsin Technical College System school.

The Wisconsin GI Bill is a state program that is entirely separate from the Federal GI Bill.

Eligibility determination is a two-part process. First, the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs certifies the veteran’s eligibility. Then the post-secondary educational institution determines if the student meets the statutory requirements for eligibility. If the eligible student is a spouse or child, they must also meet the “Residency for tuition purposes” criteria.

Generally, the veteran must have an honorable discharge, wartime service, and Wisconsin state residency. For dependents to be eligible, the veteran must have at least 30% disability. Check with your school or the Wisconsin VA for more details.

It is important to note that you may also be able to receive federal education benefits. You will want to work with your school’s Veteran Certifying Official to coordinate the use of multiple benefit programs.

Wisconsin Veteran Student Assistance Grant

Please see this Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board webpage for more information: WI Higher Educational Aids Board – Wisconsin Veteran’s Grant for Private Non-Profit Schools (state.wi.us)​​​​.

The Wisconsin Veteran Student Assistance Grant is a State of Wisconsin veterans benefit available to qualified veterans, as well as certain spouses and children of qualified veterans, for use at a private nonprofit educational institution that is a member of the Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (WAICU)​.

Dependent children of qualified veterans must be at least 17 but not yet 26 years of age to qualify.

The amount of a grant for an eligible student for a semester or session is equal to the lesser of the following:

1. ​​Two thousand dollars.

2. Fifty percent of the amount of tuition charged by the private institution in which the eligible student is enrolled less one of the following amounts:

  • ​​​If the eligible student is a veteran, the amount of tuition paid under 10 USC 2107 (c), 38 USC 3104 (a) (7) (A), and 38 USC 3313.
  • If the eligible student is a dependent, the amount of tuition paid under 38 USC 3319.

For each grant, the private institution at which the eligible student is enrolled shall match the amount of the grant to offset the tuition charged to the student.

Grants may be made for up to 128 credits or eight semesters, less the number of credits or semesters for which the student received tuition remission under the Wisconsin G.I. Bill. This means that the 128 credits or eight semesters of coverage between the Wisconsin G.I. Bill and Wisconsin Veteran Student Assistance Grant are combined and that there is not a separate pool of credits or semesters for each benefit.

The Wisconsin Veteran Student Assistance Grant is a collaboration between the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board, which administers the program, and the Wisconsin Department
of Veterans Affairs, which acts as the certifying agency and determines a veteran’s eligibility for the program.

VetEd Education Grant

Visit the following website for more information: https://dva.wi.gov/Pages/educationEmployment/Vet-Ed-Reimbursement-Grant.aspx

The Veterans Education (VetEd) grant program provides a reimbursement grant based on a credit-bank system based on length of active-duty military service. Veterans who have not yet been awarded a bachelor’s degree may be eligible.

It reimburses tuition and fees following successful course completion at an eligible UW, technical college, or approved private college.

Veterans may receive federal VA Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill benefits and VetEd for the same semester. Individuals eligible for Wisconsin GI Bill benefits must apply for and use those benefits to be eligible for VetEd reimbursement. VetEd reimbursement will be reduced to the extent that tuition and fees have already been paid by other grants, scholarships, and remissions provided for the payment of tuition and fees.

Veterans may apply for VetEd through their County or Tribal Veterans Service Officer, apply online, or download an application.

The application must be received by the department or an authorized agent no later than 60 days after the start of the course, term or semester for which reimbursement is being sought, or the grant will be denied.

High School Diploma

Local School Boards in the state of Wisconsin may award a high school diploma to veterans who left high school before receiving a high school diploma to join the U.S. armed forces during a statutorily designated war period.

  1. Is at least 65 years old, or is at least 55 years old and has a service-connected disability;
  2. Attended high school in the school district, or attended high school in Wisconsin and resides in the school district;​​
  3. Left high school before receiving a high school diploma to join the U.S. armed forces during a s​​ta​tutorily designated war period; and Served on active duty under honorable conditions in the U.S. armed forces or in forces incorporated as part of the U.S. armed forces (such as the National Guard or Merchant Marine).
  4. The high school diploma may also be awarded to veterans who received a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) after serving on active duty under honorable conditions and meet the conditions of items 1-3 above.
  5. ​The high school diploma may be posthumously awarded if the deceased veteran met the conditions of items 2-4 above.

Wisconsin Veteran Recreation Benefits

Wisconsin offers a variety of free or reduced fee hunting, fishing and park admission passes to disabled veterans. The following link contains a table depicting the privileges of each pass, eligibility, cost, and how to apply: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/permits/veterans.html

Wisconsin Resident Disabled Veteran or Former POW Park Admission Card

Certain Wisconsin resident disabled veterans and former prisoners of war are eligible to receive waivers of vehicle admission and trail pass fees. To apply for this fee waiver, follow the instructions below.

  1. Download and complete the Disabled Veteran Free State Park/Forest/Trail Pass Application [PDF]
  2. Take the completed application to your County Veteran Service Officer [exit DNR] (CVSO) to certify. The application must be signed and stamped by the CVSO.
  3. Mail the certified application to:
    Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
    Bureau of Parks and Recreation
    101 S Webster St
    PO Box 7921
    Madison WI 53707
  4. The Bureau of Parks and Recreation will mail you an identification card to be presented each time you visit a state park, forest, or recreation area. The park, forest or recreation area will then issue a courtesy pass for the day. When using state trails requiring a trail pass, carry the identification card with you.

The following licenses can be purchased at license sales locations throughout the state a decision letter, OR the Wisconsin Resident Disabled Veteran or Former POW Park Admission Card.

Available licenses include:

  • Wisconsin Resident Disabled Veteran Spring Turkey Harvest Authorization
    • Spring turkey harvest authorization available. Turkey stamp and spring turkey license required in addition to the harvest authorization.
  • Wisconsin Resident Disabled Veteran Recreation Card
    • Fishing, Small Game, Park admission and Trail pass
  • Wisconsin Resident Disabled Veteran Fishing License
    • Fishing only
  • Wisconsin Resident Disabled Veteran or Former POW Park Admission Card
    • Park admission and Trail pass
  • Purple Heart Conservation Patron License
    • Hunting, fishing and trapping approvals at resident rates for nonresident Purple Heart medal recipients
    • A one-time transfer of a Class A Bear license. Visit awarded permit transfers for details.
    • Eligible to purchase one spring turkey harvest authorization without being awarded a harvest authorization through the turkey drawing. Note: Not available if the Purple Heart medal recipient has already purchased a turkey harvest authorization awarded through the drawing.
    • Eligible to submit an elk hunting application, whether a resident or nonresident.