Vermont State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Vermont State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits- Vermont

Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs  for more detailed information.

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit:

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:


Bennington, Vermont


  • Any eligible Veteran who served at least 90 days of active-duty and was honorably discharged.
  • Veterans residing in Vermont have first-priority. Spouses of eligible Veterans, widows/widowers of eligible Veterans and Gold Star Parents are also eligible.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans Cemeteries:  

Green Mount Cemetery Soldiers’ Lot
250 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05602

Burial Space: Closed

Prospect Hill Cemetery Soldiers’ Lot
94 South Main Street
Brattleboro, VT 05301

Burial Space: Closed


State Veterans Cemeteries

Vermont Veterans Memorial Cemetery
487 Furnace Road
Randolph Center, VT 05061

VA Grant Funded: Yes


Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Vermont Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Visit the following website for more information:

Vermont Income Tax Exemptions for Military Pay:

Military pay is exempt from Vermont income taxes for Service members serving on full-time active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces when the pay is earned outside of Vermont.

Up to $2,000 of military pay is tax exempt for service in the Vermont National Guard or the U.S. Armed Forces Reserves if the Service member’s federal adjusted gross income is less than $50,000.

Funds received through the College Loan Repayment Program if they are included in the federal adjusted gross income are exempt from Vermont income taxes.

Vermont Income Taxes on Military Retired Pay:

Vermont resident retired Service members who have an annual gross income of $50,000 or less for single filers, or $65,000 or less for joint filers, receive a tax exemption on the first $10,000 of their military retired pay from Vermont income taxes.

Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) does not withhold taxes for state or local income tax, but it is reported annually on IRS Form 1099-R. All TSP distributions are subject to state taxes and early distributions may incur higher taxes.

Vermont Taxes on Military Disability Retirement Pay: 

Military Disability Retirement Pay received as a pension, annuity or similar allowance for personal injury or sickness resulting from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces should not be included in taxable income. Some of the payments which are considered disability benefits include:

  • Disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid to Veterans or their Families
  • Grants for homes designed for wheelchair living
  • Grants for motor vehicles for Veterans who lost their sight or the use of limbs, or
  • Benefits under a dependent-care assistance program

Vermont Taxes on U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC): 

DIC is a tax-free monetary benefit paid to eligible survivors of military Service members who died in the line of duty or eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-connected injury or disease.

Vermont Taxes on Military Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)/ Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan (RCSBP)/ Retired Serviceman’s Family Protection Plan (RSFPP) Military SBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: 

A Surviving Spouse who has an annual gross income of $50,000 or less is eligible for a tax exemption on the first $10,000 of their survivor annuity.

Vermont Property Tax Filing Benefits for U.S. Armed Forces Service Members During Military Conflict:

Vermont offers tax filing extensions to the following Service members:

  • Reserve component Service members called up for full-time active duty in the U.S.  Armed Forces because of a military conflict in an area designated as a combat zone (duty does not need to be performed within the combat zone), or
  • Service member serving in an area designated as a combat zone, or
  • Service member hospitalized due to injuries received during qualified service

Service members meeting the eligibility requirements above are eligible for the following filing benefits:

Income Tax Extension: 180-day extension to file income tax after qualifying service ends.

Penalty and Interest Exemption for Property Tax: 

180-day extension to file property tax without penalty, fee, or interest. This extension must be approved by the local municipality. Contact the town clerk in the town where your property is located for instructions to request this exemption.

Vermont Veteran Assistance Fund

Visit the following website for more information:

The Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs administers the Vermont Veteran Assistance Fund. This program can provide a one-time payment to Vermont veterans or their families who are in a financial crisis and need help paying for a critical need, such as housing and utilities.

The amount of assistance provided can be up to $500.

Applications are done over the phone and take about 10 minutes to complete.  Vermont residency is required. Applicants will need to provide detailed information on their income and expenses to apply.

  • Office of Veterans Affairs Toll Free (for in State) – (888) 666-9844
  • Office of Veterans Affairs Direct Dial – (802) 828-3379

Vermont National Guard Family Support

Visit the following website for more information: Vermont National Guard Family Support  Or Call: (888) 607-8773

The Vermont National Guard’s family support section administers several funds to help families who are in financial hardship, especially families in financial hardship because of a deployment. Their programs are not limited to only the guard, as they assist active-duty and reserve families as well.

Friends of Veterans

Visit the following website for more information: Friends of Veterans Or Call: (802) 296-8368

Friends of Veterans is an all-volunteer organization that provides financial assistance for rent when eviction is imminent, mortgage payments if foreclosure is imminent, security deposits, utility bills if shutoff is threatened and car repairs if the vehicle is needed for employment or critical healthcare visits. Recently the organization has begun assisting veterans with PTSD secure a service dog. Under certain circumstances they may help with veterinarian bills for a registered service dog.

You can apply for on their website at the following link:


  • Form DD214 that depicts discharge status and net credited service or the VA Card that authorizes VA benefits
  • Signed Release of Information Form (ROI)
  • Income and Expense Form that shows all monthly income and expenses for the applicant and all members residing in the household.
  • Proof of Income. Paystubs, benefit letters, bank statements, W-2 or other official documents confirming monthly income may be used.
  • Requested bill to be paid. Contact information for the payee must be included. Examples include:
    • Demand for Rent or Eviction Notice showing past due amount
    • Security Deposit (include copy of lease with landlord name, telephone number and address)
    • Utility Shutoff Notice
    • Car Repair Estimate.  Two estimates are required. The vehicle must be needed for employment or medical appointments.
    • Home Repair Estimate. Two estimates are required. The residence must be owned by the veteran and the requested work must be a livability issue i.e., furnace repair
    • Heating Fuel Assistance (not currently available). Clients must have explored local fuel assistance programs before applying to Friends of Veterans
  • If unable to use on-line forms, PDF Forms may be downloaded HERE and sent to FOV via email attachments, faxes or USPS mail.
  • Please email completed required forms to


  • Leases, bills or estimates must be in the veteran’s name.
  • Please be clear in the application about what efforts you are making to maintain sustainability. Reason(s) why the request is necessary and what actions the veteran is taking to remedy the situation without financial assistance must clearly explained.


Friends of Veterans will assist a veteran with PTSD to secure a fully trained service dog. If there are expenses required to obtain the service dog, Friends of Veterans will assist in securing the financial assistance. In addition, if a veteran has a registered service dog and needs financial assistance for veterinarian bills, Friends of Veterans may be able to assist.

  • Assistance for obtaining a service dog requires a doctor’s recommendation for a service  dog. Veterinarian bills will only be considered if the dog is a registered service dog.
  • Registered service dogs are covered under the Americans Disability Act (ADA). Before applying for a service dog, clients should become familiar with all aspects of the ADA.
  • Clients requesting a service dog must have a plan about how the service dog will be cared for daily and must also have a documented plan designating who will care for the service dog in the event the client can no longer provide the necessary care.

Property Tax Reduction

Visit the following website for more information:

Certain veterans and their surviving spouses can receive a property tax reduction on their property.

The exemption level varies from town to town. State law mandates a minimum $10,000 exemption, although towns are given the option of increasing the exemption to $40,000. The exemption reduces the appraised value of the home prior to the assessment of taxes.


The following veterans are eligible for a property tax exemption:

  • Veterans receiving VA disability compensation of at least 50%
  • Veterans receiving VA pension
  • Veterans collecting military medical retirement pay
  • Surviving spouses of veterans who had received the exemption

The exemption only applies to homes that are owned by the veteran or survivor; and is the primary residence.  Veterans or survivors who rent their homes can not pass this exemption on to their landlord.

How to Apply:

To receive the exemption, the veteran must provide proof of eligibility to the Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs.

Most veterans will have to provide proof of eligibility every year before May 1st.

Veterans who are determined to be totally and permanently disabled only need to provide proof of eligibility the first year they use the benefit for a home (if they move to a new home in a different town, they will have to provide proof of eligibility again). They also must provide proof of eligibility by May 1st.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Find your local tax assessor at this link:

Motor Vehicle Fee Waivers for Veterans

Visit the following website for more information:

Or Call the Department of Motor Vehicles – (802) 828-2000

Specific disabled veterans can receive a waiver of fees for their vehicle.

The exemptions are ONLY provided to disabled veterans who have had their vehicle modified to accommodate their disability and this accommodation was paid for by the U.S. Department of

Veterans Affairs. Veterans who meet these criteria are exempt from vehicle sales tax, registration fees, and license fees.

All other veterans are NOT exempt, including veterans who may be 100% disabled. For more information, contact the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles.

License Plates for Veterans

Visit the following website for more information: Department of Motor Vehicles OR Call: (802) 828-2000

Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs (In State Toll Free) – (888) 666-9844

Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs – (802) 828-3379

Veterans can display a Veterans License Plate on their vehicle. The plates are available for standard cars and trucks and motorcycles. Verification of service is done by the Office of Veterans Affairs.

If you are registering your vehicle in person at the Montpelier Department of Motor Vehicles, the Office of Veterans Affairs can verify your eligibility in person, as they are located next door to the DMV. You could bring your application and supporting documents to any DMV.

Please use this application to apply.

You will need to provide a DD214 as proof of service to the Office of Veterans Affairs for the plate you want for your vehicle.

Keep in mind, you can apply for a Veterans License Plate at any time. You don’t have to wait until you reregister your vehicle.

Veterans in Vermont can get a VETERAN designation on their Driver’s License.

Vermont Veteran Employment Benefits

State Employment

Visit the following website for more information:

Eligible veterans applying for state jobs in Vermont will have preference points added to their score.

  • Veterans receive five points added to their employment test score.
  • Disabled veterans receive ten points.


  • You must have an honorable discharge.
  • Veteran with a service-connected disability.
  • the spouse of a totally disabled veteran with a service-connected disability.
  • the unmarried widow or widower of a veteran.

Eligible veterans can also apply for jobs that normally are available only to current state employees.

Any interested veteran may view all job postings at:

If you have any questions about this process, please call the Recruitment Services Division toll free at 1-802-828-6700, option 1, then option 4.

Vermont CDL Military Skills Test Waiver

Visit the following website for more information:

Military personnel with recent experience operating military motor vehicles equivalent to commercial motor vehicles may be eligible for waivers on certain commercial driver license tests. These waivers may substitute tests with driving records and specified driving experience.

Applicants must meet criteria including maintaining a single license, no suspensions or revocations, and no disqualifying offenses or serious traffic violations.

They must also demonstrate employment in a military position requiring commercial motor vehicle operation and show experience with vehicles representative of those they intend to drive.

Vermont Educational Benefits

Vermont offers a variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for more information:

The Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC)

The Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC) is a public nonprofit agency that helps Vermonters who want to go to college or other training after high school. They provide grants, loans, scholarships, career and education planning, and general information about how you, or others in your family, can get the education you want. VSAC also administers a small number of private scholarships for veterans and their families.  Any Vermonter, not just
veterans, considering going back to school should contact them to find out what assistance is available.

Vermont National Guard

Visit the following website for more information:

Members of the Vermont National Guard are eligible for various tuition assistance programs.


  • The amount of the award will vary depending upon the institution and/or program in which the student enrolls.​
  • The award will cover courses at any Vermont State University institution or the University of Vermont at the in-state residence tuition rate.
  • This tuition benefit may also be used for courses at any eligible Vermont private institution, certificate training, or continuing non-degree education program at the in-state tuition rate charged by UVM.
  • The Vermont National Guard Tuition Benefit Program (Interest-Free and Forgivable Loan) (VNGTBP) award is a LOAN that covers tuition. Soldiers must use Federal Tuition Benefits for payment first and the VNGTBP will cover the remainder of eligible tuition.


  • Become an active member, in good standing, of the Vermont National Guard.
  • Complete basic training.
  • Plan or continue attending a Vermont university, college, or an eligible training institution offering certificate training or continuing education programs.
  • Enroll in a program that leads to an undergraduate certificate or degree, masters, or is studying for relevant continuing education.
  • Demonstrate satisfactory academic progress.
  • Applicant has exhausted any post 9/11/2001 tuition benefits and other federally funded military tuition assistance.


  • Complete two years of service (after the scholarship is 1st disbursed) in the Vermont National Guard for each full academic year award disbursed.
  • ​​For members participating on less than a full-time basis, the service commitment is one month of service for each credit hour attempted not to exceed 12 months of service for a single semester.
  • For members participating in training programs, the service commitment is 6 months for each certificate earned. Each Guard member may enroll in up to two training program certificates per term, and up to two terms per year.

To learn more about these benefits, contact their Education Office.

  • VT National Guard Education Office – (802) 338-3346

High School Diplomas for Veterans

Visit the following website for more information:

Veterans who served during World War II, the Korean War era, or the Vietnam War Era can also receive a high school diploma if they have never received one. Applicants can choose to receive their diploma from any Vermont public school. After the Office of Veterans Affairs verifies eligibility, it passes the application along to the appropriate high school, who will make presentation arrangements with the applicant.

  • Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs (In State Toll Free) – (888) 666-9844
  • Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs – (802) 828-3379

Vermont Veteran Recreation Benefits

Disabled Veteran Hunting & Fishing License

Visit the following website for more information:

A Vermont resident who is a veteran of the armed forces of the United States and who is, or ever has been, 60% disabled due to a service-connected disability, may receive a free permanent license, if qualified, upon presentation of a specific letter from the Veterans Administration. To see if you qualify for the license, call the Veterans Benefits Section at 1-800-827-1000.

Veteran Free License Reciprocal Privilege Letter and Application

Hunting and Fishing Licenses for Non-Resident Veterans

Non-resident veterans who live in a state that provides reciprocal privilege for Vermont residents and who would qualify for a free license under the disabled veteran provision above if they were a Vermont resident, can get a free one-year fishing, hunting or combination hunting and fishing license.

Active-Duty Hunting & Fishing Licenses

Non-Resident veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States that reside in a state that provides reciprocal privilege for Vermont residents and who would qualify for a free license under the disabled veteran provision, if the person were a Vermont resident, may receive a free one-year fishing, hunting or combination hunting and fishing license upon presentation of a certificate issued by the Veteran’s Administration. Presently NH and ME.

Veteran Free License Reciprocal Privilege Letter and Application

Green Mountain Passport

Visit the following website for more information:

Green Mountain Passport is a discount program for seniors and veterans. Holders of the passport gain free admission to VT State Parks (overnight camping and other park fees are excluded) and VT State Historic Sites.

To be eligible for a passport, a person must be:

  • a legal resident of Vermont and of the town where applying,
  • 62 years of age or older, OR
  • a veteran* of the uniformed services who served on active duty and has an other-than-dishonorable discharge.

Visit the Town Clerk’s Office to fill out, or turn in, the Application Form (PDF), pay the $2.00 fee, and receive your Green Mountain Passport card.

Additional Benefits

Vermont’s Medals for Veterans

Visit the following website for more information:

Vermont has three medals that recognize those who served who have a connection with our state. They are:

  • The Vermont Veterans Medal is awarded to most veterans with an honorable discharge.
  • The Vermont Distinguished Service Medal is awarded to veterans who received an honorable discharge and who served in a combat theater.
  • The Patriots Medal is presented to the next-of-kin of Vermont soldiers killed in action.

Distribution of the Veterans Medal and Distinguished Service Medal is not automatic. Veterans must apply for them or have someone apply on their behalf.

Applicants can choose to receive the medals in the mail, or they can choose to participate in an annual medal presentation ceremony at the Vermont State House, with medals delivered by the Governor. The family members of deceased veterans may also receive the medals.

  • Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs (In State Toll Free) – (888) 666-9844
  • Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs – (802) 828-3379