Oregon State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Oregon State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits- Oregon

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including: https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/oregon-state-veterans-benefits.html

Visit the Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs for more detailed information: https://www.oregon.gov/ODVA/Pages/default.aspx

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit: https://nasvh.org/directory/oregon/

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:


The Dalles, Oregon


Lebanon, Oregon


  • A veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, as defined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA), discharged under honorable conditions or the spouse, or surviving spouse as defined by the USDVA or Parents who have lost a child to war-time service.
  • An applicant must also be able to pay the resident’s portion of the cost of care.
  • Need skilled or intermediate nursing home care as determined by physician.
  • Not require medical care for which the Home is not equipped or staffed to provide.
  • Not have violent traits that may prove dangerous to the veteran, residents of the Home, staff or others.
  • However, this should not be interpreted as to prevent the admission of residents diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia. The facility is equipped and prepared to provide care for common symptoms of these ailments and provide assistance in physician recommended therapies.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit: https://www.cem.va.gov/find-cemetery/state.asp?STATE=OR

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Eagle Point National Cemetery

2763 Riley Rd.

Eagle Point, OR 97524

Burial Space: Open





Fort Stevens National Cemetery

1090-1140 Russell Drive

Hammond, OR 97121

Burial Space: Open





Roseburg National Cemetery

913 NW Garden Valley Blvd

Roseburg, OR 97471

Burial Space: Open





Willamette National Cemetery

11800 SE Mt. Scott Blvd.

Portland, OR 97086

Burial Space: Open





State Veterans Cemeteries: Oregon does not have any VA grant-funded cemeteries.

Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans
Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Oregon Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Visit the following website for more information: https://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Benefit-Library/State/Territory-Benefits/Oregon#taxes

Or contact the Oregon Department of Revenue.

Oregon Military Retired Pay Income Taxes: 

Retired service members can subtract military retired pay earned for service prior to 1 October 1991 from their Oregon income taxes. Any military retired pay earned on 1 October 1991 or after may not be subtracted.

If service included months before and after 1 October 1991, retired service members can subtract a percentage of their pension income. To determine the percentage, divide the months of service before 1 October 1991, by the total months of service. Percentages must be rounded
to three places (example: 0.4576 = 45.8%).

Once a service member retires, withdrawals from their Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account, they are eligible for the subtraction based on dates of service. Withdrawals prior to retirement are not eligible for a subtraction. If the taxpayer moves money from a TSP to another type of account,
the account is no longer a federal pension, and future withdrawals are not eligible for the subtraction.

Oregon Military Pay Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) Subtractions: 

Oregon offers the following AGI subtractions for military pay received by resident service members:

  • Military pay earned by resident service members stationed outside Oregon is not taxed.
  • Military pay earned by National Guard and U.S. Armed Forces Reserve service members assigned away from home for 21 days or more is not taxed.
  • Any remaining taxable military income after taking the above subtractions is eligible for up to a $6,000 subtraction.

Military pay or allowances not included in federal AGI are not taxed by Oregon.

Oregon Nonresident Military Spouse Tax Exemption: 

Nonresident military spouses do not have to pay Oregon income taxes for wages earned in Oregon.

Who is eligible for the Oregon Nonresident Military Spouse Tax Exemption: 

To be eligible nonresident military spouses must meet the following requirements:

  • Service member is in Oregon to comply with military orders
  • Military spouse and service member are both residents of another state or territory
  • Military spouses must still file income taxes in their state or territory of residence, if required

Oregon Taxes on Military Disability Retirement Pay:

Military Disability Retirement Pay received as a pension, annuity or similar allowance for personal injury or sickness resulting from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces should not be included in taxable income. Some of the payments which are considered disability benefits include:

  • Disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid to Veterans or their families.
  • Grants for homes designed for wheelchair living.
  • Grants for motor vehicles for Veterans who lost their sight or the use of limbs, or
  • Benefits under a dependent-care assistance program

Oregon State Taxes on U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Disability Dependency and
Indemnity Compensation (DIC):

DIC is a tax-free monetary benefit paid to eligible survivors of service members who died in the line of duty or eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-connected injury or disease.

Oregon State Taxes on Military Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP), Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan (RCSBP) and Retired Serviceman’s Family Protection Plan (RSFPP):

The surviving spouse of a deceased service member can subtract SBP, RCSBP and RSFPP annuities for service prior to 1 October 1991 from their Oregon income taxes. Any annuities received for service after 1 October 1991 may not be subtracted.

If service included months before and after 1 October 1991, surviving spouses can subtract a percentage of their pension income. To determine the percentage, divide the months of service before 1 October 1991, by the total months of service. Percentages must be rounded to three places (example: 0.4576 = 45.8%).

Oregon Property Tax Exemption

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.oregon.gov/odva/Benefits/Pages/Taxes.aspx

Contact your county assessor or find the pertinent forms from the Oregon Department of Revenue​(keyword search: “veteran”)​

If you’re a disabled veteran or the surviving spouse or registered domestic partner of a veteran, you may be entitled to exempt a portion of your homestead property’s assessed value from property taxes. The exemption amount increases by 3 percent each year. The exemption is first applied to your home and then to your taxable personal property.

There are two exemptions with slightly different requirements. One has an income limit.

Who qualifies?

To qualify, veterans must be:

  • Certified by the VA or any branch of the Armed Forces as having disabilities of 40 percent or more or be certified each year by a licensed physician as being 40 percent or more disabled.
  • You must own and live on your homestead property.

Active-duty service members, including National Guard and Reserve members, may also qualify for a residential property tax exemption.

How to File:

The disabled veteran or surviving spouse/partner must file an exemption claim by the due date with the county assessor where the property is located. You don’t have to file a claim every year unless a licensed physician certified the disabilities of 40 percent or more. However, you must file a new claim by April 1 if there are changes in ownership or use of your homestead property.


  • Disabled Veteran:
    • DD-214
    • Disability Rating Letter demonstrating a 40% or greater rating with the VA

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Find your local tax assessor at this link: https://www.publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Assessor-and-Property-Tax-Records.htm

Oregon Veterans Home Loan

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.oregon.gov/odva/Home-Loans/Pages/default.aspx

Oregon is one of only five states in the nation that offers a state home loan to veterans. The Oregon Veterans Home Loan is separate and distinct from the federal VA Home Loan Guaranty.

Currently, ODVA’s home loan program offers eligible veterans fixed-rate financing for:

  • Owner-occupied, single-family residence
  • Purchase only (no refinancing is available)
  • Up to four (4) home loans maximum life benefit


To be eligible, you must meet one of the three service criteria described below.

Veteran must have served on active duty, as documented on DD214, with the United States Armed Forces and meet one of the following criteria:

  • Beginning on or before January 31, 1955 served more than 90 consecutive days and was discharged or released under honorable conditions; or
  • Beginning after January 31, 1955 served more than 178 consecutive days and was discharged or released under honorable conditions; or
  • Served 178 days or less and was discharged or released under honorable conditions because of a service-connected disability; or
  • Served 178 days or less and was discharged or released under honorable conditions and has a disability rating from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs; or
  • Served at least one day in a combat zone and was discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions.


Received a combat, campaign or expeditionary ribbon or medal for service and was discharged or released under honorable conditions.


Is receiving a nonservice-connected pension from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.

After you have established eligibility with ODVA, veterans work through local broker and lenders to originate their state home loan benefit.

Oregon Veterans’ Emergency Assistance

Visit the following website for more information and to access the application: https://www.oregon.gov/odva/Benefits/Pages/Emergency-Assistance.aspx

The Oregon Veterans’ Emergency Financial Assistance Program (OVEFAP) is for veterans and their immediate family (spouse, unremarried surviving spouse, child, or stepchild) who need emergency financial assistance.

Assistance is granted one time only and average award amounts vary.

Emergency financial assistance includes, but is not limited to:

  • Emergency or temporary housing
  • Utilities
  • Insurance
  • House repairs
  • Mortgage or rent assistance
  • Emergency medical or dental expenses
  • Emergency transportation expenses.

All payments are made directly to payees/creditors.

Oregon State Veterans Employment Preference

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.oregon.gov/boli/workers/pages/veterans-preference.aspx

Veterans and disabled veterans receive preference when applying for federal, state, county, and local government jobs in Oregon.

When taking a test for state employment veterans get 5 points added to their final score, disabled veterans get 10 points.

To receive preference, you must successfully clear an initial application screening, satisfy any applicable exam or civil service test, and meet the minimum and any special qualifications for the job.

Veterans’ Preference does not compel a public employer to hire a veteran or disabled veteran based solely on their veteran status; however, it does require that an eligible veteran or disabled veteran be appointed when their application assessment, combined with applicable veterans’
preference points, is equal to or higher than that of a non-veteran.

Disabled Veteran License Plate

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/pages/vehicle/plates.aspx#Veteran

Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services offers specialty license plates to veterans, disabled veterans, and qualifying family members.

Available plate styles include:

  • Branch of service
  • Campaign or service medals
  • Permanent disabled veteran
  • Specialty plates that support service organizations such as the Gold Star Family plate or the Purple Heart plate.

There is a one-time permanent motor vehicle registration fee for disabled veterans. There are no additional costs other than regular plate fees or replacement plate fees.

To apply for Disabled Veteran plates, submit:

  • Application for Disabled Veteran Plates
  • DD214 or equivalent showing that you have a service-connected or service-related disability.
  • A Certificate of Compliance from the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) if the vehicle is being registered within the DEQ emission testing boundaries and is not exempt.
  • An Application for Registration (Form 735-268) if only applying for registration, or Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226) and all title requirements, if applying for title with registration.

Oregon Veteran Dental Program

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.oregon.gov/odva/Benefits/Pages/Dental.aspx

The Oregon Veteran Dental Program provides dental services to eligible populations in Oregon.

NOTE: The Oregon Veteran Dental Program is separate and distinct from VA Dental Care offered by the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

The Oregon Veteran Dental program has the same dental care as OHP Plus, such as:

  • Teeth cleanings
  • Filling and extractions
  • Emergency dental care
  • Some dentures

Who is eligible for the program?

People who:

  • Live in Oregon;
  • Are not eligible for OHP (Medicaid);
  • Are a veteran as described in Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 408.225​, except the veteran may be discharged or released under honorable conditions or other conditions;


  • Have income at or below 400 percent of the Federal Poverty Level.

Once determined eligible for the Veteran Dental Program, veterans will need to provide discharge documentation. To view the list of discharge documents accepted by OHA/ODHS, visit this Veterans Administration website.

Apply online:

Paper application:

Paper applications are available in multiple languages.

  • Download and print an application online by going to OHP.Oregon.gov/Apply; or
  • Have an application mailed by calling OHP Customer Service at 1- 800-699-9075.

Oregon Education Benefits

Oregon offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list: https://www.oregon.gov/odva/Benefits/Pages/Education.aspx

National Guard Education Assistance

Visit the following website for more information: https://oregonstudentaid.gov/grants/oregon-national-guard-state-tuition-assistance/

The Oregon National Guard State Tuition Assistance (ONGSTA) program provides 100% funding for tuition to eligible Oregon Army and Air National Guard members for up to 120 semester credits at Oregon state institutions.

To be eligible for ONGSTA, students must meet all the criteria below:

  • Complete military basic training
  • Be a member of the Oregon National Guard and not currently the subject of any adverse actions under the provisions of any Army, Air Force or National Guard Regulations
  • Be currently drilling and attending all scheduled unit training assemblies and annual training periods
  • Not have achieved a bachelor’s degree or higher
  • Not be in default on any federal Title IV loan or owe a refund on federal Title IV funds previously disbursed, unless the institution disbursing funds determines that the student has made satisfactory arrangements to repay and has regained federal eligibility
  • Be enrolled and in good standing (maintaining a 2.0 GPA or meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress for Title IV funding requirements) at an eligible institution:
    • Associate degree granting program
    • Undergraduate bachelor degree granting program
    • Undergraduate certificate program

How to Apply:

Students must complete both steps to apply for ONGSTA:

Veterans Educational Bridge Grant

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.oregon.gov/odva/agency-programs/grants/Pages/Educational-Bridge-Grant.aspx

The Veterans Educational Bridge Grant is administered by ODVA to help veterans achieve their educational goals. This grant is specifically designed to provide some support to veterans who find themselves unable to complete their academic or training programs on time, due to the
unavailability of a required class or training hours or debt on a student account that prevents registration. As a result, veterans in these programs may be under financial strain and decide to go to work without completing their post-secondary goals.

The Veterans Educational Bridge Grant alleviates some of the financial stress that may be encountered when attempting to complete a program, by offering grants of up to $5,000 to veterans who meet the eligibility requirements.

Eligibility Requirements:

Applicants for the Veteran Educational Bridge Grant must be:

  • A veteran per ORS 408.225 and
  • An Oregon resident per OAR 575-030-0005 and
  • Enrolled in an Oregon-based education or training program and
  • Unable to complete a program due to the unavailability of one or more required courses
  • Has debt on a student account that does not exceed $5,000 and is preventing enrollment for future terms

How to Apply:

  1. Check the Eligibility Requirements listed above to see if you qualify
  2. Download and complete your portion of the Veterans Educational Bridge Grant Application
  3. Use the “Completion Checklist” on the first page of the application to make sure you’ve included all required supporting documentation
  4. Submit your completed application and required documents

If you have questions, please refer to the FAQs below or contact ODVA at ebg@odva.oregon.gov.

Note: Applications must be uploaded using the secure link. Emailed applications will be returned for resubmittal through the secure upload link.

Nonresident Veteran In-State Tuition

Attending college in Oregon is now more affordable for some recently relocated veterans thanks to an Oregon law eliminating out-of-state education costs. If you are a veteran of the armed forces pursuing undergraduate studies at a public institution in Oregon, you will pay tuition rates and fees no greater than the Oregon resident rate even if you are not yet considered a permanent resident of the state.

These savings also apply to veterans’ dependents using transferred benefits, as well as orphans of veterans who died on active duty.

Note: Certain online-only programs may be excluded from this program.

This benefit does not apply to graduate students or active-duty military members or their dependents.

For Graduate Students:

Out-of-state tuition costs will be reduced for nonresident veterans attending graduate school in Oregon.

Under this program, qualified student-veterans will have their nonresident tuition reduced after all other VA benefits and Gift Aid (grants and fee remissions) have been deducted. Loans received through financial aid do not fall into this category.

For more information: contact the veterans’ service office or financial aid office at your local institution.

Statewide Apprenticeships (BOLI)

For more information: Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI): Apprenticeship and Training Division

Are you a veteran seeking training in the construction, industrial or manufacturing trades? If so, you may be able to use your veterans’ educational benefits for apprenticeship programs such as Oregon Apprenticeship Opportunities Statewide.

This program, offered through the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) in partnership with Oregon businesses and local apprenticeship committees, offers career opportunities through paid on-the-job training and education, with a focus on building and industrial career fields.

If an existing apprenticeship program does not have an approved veteran’s program in place, you can coordinate the establishment of a new training program by communicating with an employer and the Apprenticeship and Training Division.

Oregon Veterans Recreational Benefits

Disabled Veteran Hunting and Fishing Licenses

For more information: Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife: Hunters and anglers with disabilities

A free hunting and angling license for disabled war veterans with a federal VA-rated service- connected disability of 25 percent or more is offered through the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. Veterans must be Oregon residents for at least six months. Also, non-resident uniformed service members are able to hunt or fish in Oregon for the same cost as a state resident.

Active-Duty Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Active-duty members can get hunting and fishing licenses for the resident rate.

Special Access Pass for Disabled Veterans

For more information: Oregon State Parks: Special Access Pass

Service-connected disabled veterans can apply for the Special Access Pass from the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. Passes allow free year-round camping and day-use privileges at RV and tent sites at 26 Oregon State Parks.

The Special Access Pass is for veterans with a service-connected disability. Survivors of deceased veterans, spouses and/or other family members of veterans do not qualify for this pass.

Eligible U.S. military members on leave are reimbursed for their campsite and day-use costs. Both benefits are subject to some restrictions.

You do not have to be an Oregon resident to qualify for these benefits.


  • U.S. veterans with any level of service-connected disability
  • Active-duty U.S. military on official leave

What it Covers:

If you are eligible, this benefit gives you free parking at the 25 state parks that charge a day-use parking fee. It also covers your camping costs in RV sites, tent campsites & standard horse camp sites. You may camp for free in a tent, RV or standard horse camp site for 10 nights at a
time at a single state park, or a total of 10 nights in a calendar month, regardless of the location. If you stay longer than 10 nights at a park, or in a calendar month, you will pay the standard rate for the extra days.

What it Doesn’t Cover:

This benefit does not cover yurts, cabins or other special park facilities, nor does it cover the $8 fee to make reservations or the $7 per night charge for a 2nd driven vehicle.

Getting a Pass:

For U.S. veterans with a service-connected disability, here is the process:

  1. Obtain a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs stating you have a service- connected disability.
  2. Scan or photograph your letter stating you have a service-connected disability and attach it to the online form (see next step).
  3. Apply via the online form

The pass is valid for 10 years.