New York State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

New York State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits – New York

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the New York State Division of Veterans’ Services website for more detailed information:

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit:

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:

New York resident veterans with an honorable discharge are eligible for admission. Some spouses and unremarried surviving spouses are also eligible for admission.
There may be a charge for care.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Bath National Cemetery
San Juan Avenue
Bath, NY 14810
Burial Space: Open
Calverton National Cemetery
210 Princeton Boulevard
Calverton, NY 11933
Burial Space: Open
Gerald B. H. Solomon Saratoga National Cemetery
200 Duell Road
Schuylerville, NY 12871
Burial Space: Open
Long Island National Cemetery
2040 Wellwood Avenue
Farmingdale, NY 11735
Burial Space: Cremation Only
Western New York National Cemetery
1254 Indian Falls Road
Corfu, New York 14036
Burial Space: Open
Woodlawn National Cemetery
1825 Davis Street
Elmira, NY 14901
Burial Space: Cremation Only

State Veterans Cemeteries: There are currently no state run cemeteries.

Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

New York Housing Benefits

Access to Home for Heroes

Visit the following website for more information:

The Access to Home for Heroes/Veterans Program provides financial assistance to make accessibility modifications, emergency home repairs or address code violations to the primary residences of low- and moderate-income veterans with disabilities. Such activities will enable veterans with disabilities to live in their residences safely and comfortably, rather than in an institutional setting. Eligible veterans may be renters or homeowners, with service-related injuries, age, or health related disabilities.


  • Qualifying Veteran status.
  • Documented substantial physical limitation caused by a disability.
  • Household income not to exceed 120 percent of area median income.
  • The assisted residential unit must be the primary, permanent residence of the eligible participant. The primary residence may be owner-occupied or a rental unit. Applicants proposing to assist rental units must ensure that the property owner is not otherwise obligated by federal, State or local law to provide such improvements.

Homes for Veterans Program

Visit the following websites for more information: and

A home loan program that offers fixed-rate mortgages with interest rates 0.375% below the already low interest rates charged on SONYMA mortgages with down payment assistance. Available for active duty, reservists, guard members and honorably discharged veterans and their spouses of co-borrowers.


  • You must be either a U.S. military veteran or active duty serviceperson and be able to provide the following documentation with your application:
      • DD214 – Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty or NGB Form 22 – Report of Separation and Record of Service
      • Leave and Earning Statement (required for all active duty U.S. military personnel)
      • Military ID Card (required for ALL active duty U.S. military personnel)
  • Military Veteran’s Eligibility Affidavit (SONYMA Form 243) is required only if an eligible veteran or their spouse or co-borrower is not a first-time homebuyer

State of NY Motrgage Agency (SONYMA) website:

New York Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Military Pay: If your permanent home was New York state before entering the military, active-duty income is tax-free, IF you meet all three of the following conditions:

  • Did not have a permanent home in New York
  • maintained a permanent place of abode outside New York during the entire year (Barracks, BOQ or shipboard quarters don’t count.)
  • spent less than 30 days in New York during the year.

Retired pay and SBP payments are tax-free.

Property Tax Exemptions

Visit the following website for more information:

New York state has three different property tax exemptions which are based on your military service, with additional benefits based upon degree of service-connected disability.

The exemption applies to county, city, town, and village taxes. Exemptions may apply to school district taxes.

The Alternative Veterans’ Exemption – for veterans who served during wartime or received an expeditionary medal.

The Cold War Veterans’ Exemption – for veterans who served during the Cold War period.

The Eligible Funds Exemption – for property that a veteran buys with pension, bonus, or insurance funds

Applications must be filed before taxes are due, check with your city or county for more information.

Qualifying surviving spouses may file for benefit based on their spouse’s service.

Annual refiling is required.

Find your local tax assessor at this link:

Vehicle Registration Fee Exemption

Visit the following website for more information:

Through the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Veterans can qualify to be exempt from registration fees and vehicle plate fees if:

  • You are a qualified disabled Veteran under Federal Title 38, Part III, Chapter 39, or
  • You qualify for and apply for Congressional Medal of Honor custom plates, or
  • You qualify for and apply for Former Prisoner of War custom plates.

Contact your local DMV for more information and for a list of required documentation.

E-Z Pass for Disabled Veterans

Visit the following website for more information:

The New York State Thruway Authority offers free, unlimited travel anywhere on the Thruway to certain, qualifying disabled Veterans.

You must be eligible for the fee-exempt vehicle registration from Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to qualify.

Burial Allowance

Visit the following website for more information:

A supplemental burial allowance of up to $6,000 is authorized for certain military personnel killed in combat or while on active duty in hostile or imminent danger locations on or after Sept. 29, 2003.

Indigent Burial Reimbursements

Visit the following website for more information:

New York State offers reimbursements of up to $2,000 to a Veterans Service Organization tasked by a county’s government with providing interment services for an indigent Veteran. Reimbursements are issued pursuant to Chapter 29 of the Laws of 2016.

Link to application:

If you would like to learn more about the benefits and services you may be eligible for as a Veteran, Servicemember, or as a family member of a Veteran or Servicemember, please call the New York State Division of Veterans’ Services Help Line at 1.888.838.7697 (VETSNYS), where you may also schedule an appointment with one of our Veterans Benefits Advisors.

New York State Blind Annuity

Visit the following website for more information:

The Blind Annuity Program benefit is for legally blind New York State wartime veterans or the surviving un-remarried spouse of the blind veteran.

The program authorizes an annual annuity payment of $1,395.36 ($116.28 monthly) per veteran/surviving spouse.

Blindness need not be service-connected.

If a Veteran met all the criteria for the Blind Annuity benefit, but never actually received the benefit during his or her lifetime, the un-remarried surviving spouse of that Veteran may still be eligible to receive the benefit.

Link to Application:

For assistance, contact the New York State Division of Veteran’s Services at 1-888-838-7697

New York State Gold Star Annuity

Visit the following website for more information:

The Gold Star Parent Annuity Benefit authorizes an annuity payment to each Gold Star parent of a deceased Servicemember. There will be an annual increase at a rate equal to the percentage increase of benefits set by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Applicants approved for the Gold Star Annuity Payment are required to verify eligibility on a yearly basis.

New York State Family Benefits

Visit the following website for more information:

Under the New York Paid Family Leave act, workers get 10 weeks of paid time off to bond with a newborn, adopted or fostered child; to care for family members with serious health conditions; or to address issues related to a family member’s military deployment.

New York Veteran Employment Benefits

Civil Service Credit Preference

Visit the following websites for more information: and

Ten-point additional credit preference toward original appointment for disabled wartime veterans; five-points for wartime service; and two and a half points for other veterans. Job retention rights applicable to veterans and spouses of totally disabled veterans.

Immediate action is needed if you are eligible for these additional veteran credits.

You must complete the online Veteran Credit Use Questionnaire that is available through the website.

Military Service Credit for State & Local Retirement System Members

Visit the following website for more information:

You may be entitled to receive additional credit towards retirement for your military service through New York State and local retirement systems.

There are different sections of the law that allow the crediting of qualifying military service. Once the Retirement System receives your request, they will determine under what section you qualify for.

New York State Peddler’s License

Visit the following website for more information:

New York State Veterans with other than dishonorable discharges are eligible to apply for a free lifetime Veterans Peddler’s License provided the veteran served overseas.

This license provides Veterans and surviving spouses with the right to peddle, vend, and sell goods, wares or merchandise, or solicit trade on the highways within a specific jurisdiction.

For specific information about obtaining a Veteran Peddler’s License, please contact your County Clerk’s Office. Then contact your local City, Town, or Village Clerk’s office to determine what if any restrictions apply in the City, Town, or Village.

New York Veteran Education Benefits

New York offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list:

Veterans Tuition Awards

Visit the following website for more information about eligibility and links to applications:

Veterans Tuition Awards pay for full-time and part-time study for honorably discharged NY resident wartime veterans at undergraduate or graduate schools or vocational training programs.

How to Apply

For Undergraduate and Graduate Full-time & Part-time Study

  • Complete and submit the Veterans Tuition Award Application.
  • Be sure to print the Application Confirmation, sign and submit it, along with the required documentation, according to the instructions.
  • Also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the TAP on the Web application.

For Vocational Training Program

  • Confirm your school is in the list of participating schools contained in the Duration section above. Please have your school’s financial aid office contact HESC at if they are not listed.
  • Complete and submit the Veterans Tuition Award Application.
      • Be sure to print the Application Confirmation, sign and submit it, along with the required documentation, according to the instructions.

All applications must be completed by June 30 of the academic year for which an award is sought.

Combined tuition benefits available to a student cannot exceed the actual tuition. Students attending high tuition schools may be eligible to receive the federal and State benefits. Additionally, students whose “Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable” under the Chapter 33 Program is less than 100% of tuition may also receive both federal and State benefits.

New York State Regents Awards (for Children)

Visit the following website for more information and applications:

Provides up to $450 per year to students whose parent(s) served in the US Armed Forces during specified times of national emergency.

The veteran must currently be a New York State resident or have been a New York State resident at the time of death.

The applicant must be pursuing an approved undergraduate degree at a college or university located in NYS.

Apply before June 30 of the academic year for which you are requesting payment.

Military Enhanced Recognition Incentive and Tribute (MERIT) Scholarship (also known as Military Service Recognition Scholarship (MSRS))

Visit the following website for more information and applications:

The MERIT Scholarship provides financial aid to dependents of military members who died or were severely and permanently disabled as a result of their military service on or after Aug. 2, 1990. National Guard service counts, and the injury or death need not be combat-related.

The scholarship covers up to four years of undergraduate study, in some cases that may be extended to five years. It pays the full tuition amount at any approved college, not to exceed the SUNY tuition. It also pays an allowance for books, supplies and transportation and a housing stipend.


Students must:

  • Study at an approved postsecondary institution in New York State.
  • Have graduated from high school in the United States, or have a high school equivalency diploma earned through passing the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), formally known as the GED, or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department.
  • Be enrolled as a full-time student taking 12 or more credits per semester.
  • Be matriculated in an approved program of study.
  • Be in good academic standing.
  • Not be in default on any State or federal student loan or on any repayment of state awards.

Award Amounts

MERIT provides funds to help meet the cost of attending college. The award covers up to four years of full-time undergraduate study (or five years in an approved five-year bachelor’s degree program) and includes the following components:

  • Tuition: An amount equal to your actual tuition or the State University of New York’s (SUNY) in-state tuition, whichever is less.
  • Non-tuition Costs: These include room and board and allowances for books, supplies and transportation up to the average cost at SUNY Colleges.
  • Residence: A student living on campus will receive a higher room and board allowance than a commuter student. If housing is not available for students on campus they will receive the same allowance as students living on campus.

Note: Students choosing to live off campus when housing is available will be paid at the lower commuter rate.

New York Veteran Recreation Benefits

Hunting Licenses & Permits for Disabled Veterans

Visit the following link for more information:

NY resident veterans with a 40% or greater disability rating can get low cost hunting and fishing licenses.

  • $5 fishing, hunting or trapping license. If you purchase one license, you get the other two free. For example, if a fishing license is purchased for $5, the hunting & trapping licenses are free.
  • Free bowhunting & muzzle loading privileges (base hunting license is required)
  • Preference on Deer Management Permit selection

How To Get Your Free/Reduced Fee License

Required documents/proof:

  • Annual disability: Each year you must provide a letter from the Veteran’s Administration (VA), dated in the current year, with your annual case number and your disability percentage.
  • Permanent disability: If you are claiming permanent disabled status, the VA letter must clearly state your service-related disability is ‘permanent’.
  • For hunting licenses/privileges or trapping license: an appropriate hunter education program certificate or previous license/privilege.
  • Proof of NYS residency

Where/how to get your licenses/privileges:

  • For annual disability, you can get your license(s) at a license issuing agent location or through the online license issuing system (link leaves DEC website)
  • For permanent disability, you need to provide proof one time at a license issuing agent location. Once you are entered in the system, you can get your licenses/privileges: online (link leaves DEC website), by phone (1-866-933-2257, Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM) or at a license issuing agent location.

State Park Admission for Disabled Veterans

Visit the following website for more information and applications:

New York resident Wartime veterans with a 40% or greater disability are eligible for the Lifetime Liberty Pass.

The pass gives free vehicle entry to state parks, day use areas, historic sites, as well as numerous state boat launch sites, historic sites, arboretums and park preserves; free golf at 28 State Park golf courses; free swimming pool entrance at 36 State Park pools, and discounted camping and cabin rentals at all 119 State Park and DEC campgrounds.