Missouri State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Missouri State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits – Missouri

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including: https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/missouri-state-veterans-benefits.html

Visit the Missouri Veterans Commission name for more detailed information: https://mvc.dps.mo.gov/ and https://veteranbenefits.mo.gov/

The Missouri Veterans Benefits Guide is a useful resource as well: https://mvc.dps.mo.gov/docs/veterans-benefits-guide.pdf

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit: https://www.nasvh.org/state-homes/statedir.cfm

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:


All Veterans who have resided in Missouri for a minimum of 180 days, have a military discharge status of other than dishonorable, and require long-term health care services.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit: https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/state.asp?STATE=MO

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery
2900 Sheridan Road
St. Louis, MO 63125
Burial Space: Open
Springfield National Cemetery
1702 East Seminole Street
Springfield, MO 65804
Burial Space: Cremation Only

State Veterans Cemeteries:

Missouri Veterans Commission
2400 Veterans Memorial Drive
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
VA Grant Funded: N/A
Missouri State Veterans Cemetery – Bloomfield
17357 Stars and Stripes Way
Bloomfield, MO 63825VA Grant Funded: Yes
Missouri State Veterans Cemetery – Fort Leonard Wood
25350 Highway H
Waynesville, MO 65583
VA Grant Funded: Yes
Missouri State Veterans Cemetery – Higginsville
20109 Bus. Hwy 13
Higginsville, MO 64037
VA Grant Funded: Yes
Missouri State Veterans Cemetery – Jacksonville
1479 County Road 1675
Jacksonville, MO 65260
VA Grant Funded: Yes
Missouri State Veterans Cemetery – Springfield
5201 South Southwood Road
Springfield, MO 65804
VA Grant Funded: Yes
St. James Missouri Veterans Home Cemetery
620 N. Jefferson Street
St. James, MO 65559
VA Grant Funded: No

Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

There is no charge for any of the services provided. These services include opening and closing of the grave, provision of a concrete grave liner, upright granite headstones, full military honors for the Veteran, and perpetual care of the grave site. Those who choose cremation have the choice of in-ground burial or placement within a columbarium niche. Pre-registration for future planning purposes is also available for Veterans and their eligible family members.

Missouri Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Military retirement & SBP(Survivors Benefit Plan) benefits are tax-free.

The Missouri Department of Revenue has a Military Liaison to assist Service members and their Families with questions about Missouri income tax and other issues.

For more information, please contact the Missouri Department of Revenue by calling 573-751-3505 or by mail to:

Missouri Department of Revenue

Taxation Division
P.O. Box 2200
Jefferson City, MO 65105

Property Tax Credits

Visit the following site for more information: https://dor.mo.gov/taxation/individual/tax-types/property-tax-credit/

The Missouri Property Tax Credit Claim gives credit to some 100% VA disabled veterans for a portion of the real estate taxes or rent paid for the year.

The maximum credit is $750 for renters and $1,100 for homeowners. The actual credit is based on the amount of real estate taxes or rent paid and total household income (taxable and nontaxable).

A 100% disabled Veteran is not required to include your veteran payments and benefits on the Property Tax Credit form.

A letter from the Veterans Administration indicating the disability is 100% from military service needs to be attached to the Property Tax Credit form.

Forms can be found at the following link: https://dor.mo.gov/forms/?formName=MO-1040+Instructions&category=&year=99

Online Application can be found at the following website: https://mytax.mo.gov/rptp/portal/home/prop_tax_eligibility/!ut/p/z1/jc_BCoJAEAbgZ-ng1RnUQrptHhSxNMKyuYSSrYa6sm4-f4sFXUqa08zwzQ8DBBlQl481z1UturzR85lWlzhxWOD5GMfRdoP7KPB2CbNRF5wmgD-KIdA_9zOA5uNPQBOxXfT8AK3QTw8WspilzpGFunPeYCYjBOKNKF7vsq6wXQ4ky1spS2k-pF5XSvXD2kADr0KarTC5GA38xisxKMg-Cvo2zfC-bMaILZ4Y9aSz/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Annual refiling is required.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Find your local tax assessor at this link: https://www.publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Assessor-and-Property-Tax-Records.htm

Former POW Tax Exemption

Missouri citizens who are Former POWs with a 100% P&T rating with the VA are exempt from paying all property taxes on property used as a homestead.

This exemption is not administered through the Missouri Department of Revenue; however, they have a military liaison available to assist.

For assistance, visit: https://dor.mo.gov/taxation/individual/ or call: (573) 751-3505

Free License Plates for Disabled Veterans

Visit the following link for more information: https://dor.mo.gov/motor-vehicle/plates/disabled-veteran.html

An eligible applicant may obtain one free set of Disabled Veteran license plate(s). No specialty plate, transfer, processing, or replacement plate/tab fees are due; delinquent renewal penalty applies.

An eligible applicant may obtain additional Disabled Veteran license plates. Additional plates shall be subject to all registration and personalization fees, including: Registration, Processing, Transfer, Replacement, Second Plate, Reservations, and Renewal penalty.


  • Must be a Missouri resident
  • Must have served in and was honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.

How to Apply for Regular Disabled Veteran License Plates


  • A completed and signed Application for Missouri Military Personalized License Plates (Form 4601) and
  • A statement from the United States Department of Veteran Affairs, no more than one year old, stating your disability is service-connected. The letter must be directly from the VA, not a veteran’s hospital or clinic. A letter from an attending physician at a Veteran’s hospital or clinic is not acceptable documentation of a service-connected disability. (Your Summary of Benefits letter should suffice.)

Personalized Disabled Veteran License Plates

If you prefer, your Disabled Veteran license plates can be personalized, instead of having a “stock” configuration. Even if you choose personalized plates, there is no personalized plate fee. Simply check the appropriate box on the form and submit up to six configuration choices on the form.

Link to Form 4601: https://dor.mo.gov/forms/4601.pdf

Disabled Veteran License Plates with the Wheelchair Accessibility Symbol

The Disabled Veteran license plates do not allow parking in disabled parking spots unless they display the wheelchair accessibility symbol. If you are requesting the wheelchair accessibility symbol on the license plate, you must also submit an original signed Physician’s Statement for Disabled License Plates/Placard (DOR-1776) from an advanced practice registered nurse, licensed physician, chiropractor, podiatrist, physical therapist, or optometrist, stating that the disability is permanent. The physician’s statement is valid for 90 days after completion by the physician.

Link to Form 1776: https://dor.mo.gov/forms/1776.pdf

Contact your local DMV office for more information and documentation needed.

Certification Renewal Exemption for Disabled Plates & Placards

A veteran with a permanent disability from the United States Veterans Administration is exempt from the four-year certification requirement for renewal of disabled license plates or placards. Initial applications must include a physician’s statement confirming the individual’s disability.

Contact your local DMV for additional information and documentation needed.

Veterans Identification on Driver’s License or State I.D. Card

A Veteran may apply to the Department of Revenue to obtain a state driver’s license or identification card showing Veteran designation.

There is no additional cost to adding the designation, however standard fees for new licenses, renewals or duplicate transaction and processing fees still apply.

For more information, visit: https://dor.mo.gov/faq/driver-license/veteran-designation.html
Or call: (573) 526-2407

Missouri Veteran Education Benefits

Missouri offers a variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list: https://veteranbenefits.mo.gov/education/

Missouri Returning Heroes Act

For more information, visit the following website: https://dhewd.mo.gov/ppc/returningheroesact.php

This Act requires that all public institutions of higher learning must limit the cost of tuition for combat veterans.

Certificates and Associates/ Bachelor’s Degrees- Tuition at any state college shall be no more than $50 per credit hour if completed within ten (10) years of the date of the combat veteran’s last discharge from service.

Graduate Degrees- Tuition must be limited to no more than 30% of the cost of tuition and fees.

The veteran Must be Missouri resident with an other-than-dishonorable discharge and served in a combat zone after Sept. 11, 2001. GPA standards must be met if completed within twenty (20) years of the date of the combat veteran’s last discharge from service


  • Enroll at a Missouri public institution of higher education.  A listing of public institutions can be found at https://dhewd.mo.gov/public-and-independent-colleges.php
  • In addition, enrollment must be in a program leading to a certificate, or an associate or baccalaureate degree, or a graduate degree;
  • Have served in armed combat and provide military service documentation, such as the DD214, that reflects service in a combat theater, receipt of combat service medals, or receipt of imminent danger or hostile fire pay or tax benefits;
  • Have been honorably discharged from military service; and
  • Be a registered voter in Missouri, or eligible to vote in Missouri, as determined by the Missouri Secretary of State, or a current Missouri resident.

War Veteran’s Survivor Grant Program

For more information, visit the following website: https://dhewd.mo.gov/ppc/grants/wartimevetsurvivor.php

The War Veteran’s Survivor Grant is awarded to 25 students annually to assist with tuition, room and board, and book costs at participating public colleges and universities.

Available to children and spouses of veterans whose deaths or injuries were:

  • A result of combat action or were attributed to an illness that was contracted while serving in combat action, or
  • Who became 80% disabled as a result of injuries or accidents sustained in combat action since Sept. 11, 2001.

Awards are available by academic year (fall and spring semesters only). Your maximum grant amount each semester will be the sum of the following:

  • The lesser of the actual tuition charged for the number of hours in which you are enrolled OR the amount of tuition charged a Missouri resident enrolled in the same number of hours at the University of Missouri Columbia.
  • An allowance of up to $2,000 per semester for room and board; and
  • The lesser of the actual cost for your books OR $500.

Awards vary based on the tuition at the school of attendance.


The veteran must have been a Missouri resident when they first entered military service or at the time of death or injury.

Children (biological, adopted, or stepchildren) must be under the age of 25.

This grant is awarded to 25 students per year.

Annual renewal is required.

Pay attention to renewal deadlines when completing a renewal application. There are also GPA standards to meet when renewing an application for the grant.

Here is a link to a list of the current Universities that are participating in the program: https://dhewd.mo.gov/ppc/grants/documents/ParticipatingSchools.pdf

Link to online application portal: https://web.dhewd.mo.gov/studentportal/

Missouri Veteran Employment Benefits

Veterans Preference for State Employment

Missouri Veterans get a five-point preference when testing for any state employment position, with a ten-point preference for a service-connected disabled veteran. Spouses of eligible veterans may also qualify.

Commercial Driver Exam (CDL) Exemption

Active duty or retired military can get a waiver of the skills testing portion of a CDL. You must have a minimum of 60 days active duty driving experience in a commercial motor vehicle for the military within 2 years of applying for the waiver.

You must still complete the required knowledge examinations for the commercial driver license class being applied for.

Application for Military CDL Skills Test Waiver: https://dor.mo.gov/forms/5140.pdf

Missouri Veteran Recreation Benefits

Free Fishing & Hunting License for Disabled Veterans

Visit the following website for more information: https://mdc.mo.gov/permits/veteran-benefits

Certain honorably discharged military veterans may hunt small game or fish without a permit (Except for deer and turkey).

Qualifying veterans only need to carry a letter from the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs with them.


Honorably discharged veterans or active personnel who:

  • have service-related disability of 60% or greater
  • were a prisoner of war during military service
  • are assigned as a patient to a Warrior Transition Brigade, Warrior Transition Unit, or military medical center

Veterans are also encouraged to contact one of Missouri’s four trout parks for free fishing events specifically for service men and women: