Minnesota State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Minnesota State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits – Minnesota

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including: https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/minnesota-state-veterans-benefits.html

Visit the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs website for more detailed information: https://mn.gov/mdva/

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit: https://nasvh.org/directory/

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:

There is also an Adult Day Center located in the Minneapolis Veterans Home. The Adult Day Center provides a broad array of therapeutic health care services – delivered by trained, highly dedicated professionals.


Admission to Minnesota Veterans Homes is available to honorably discharged veterans who entered service from Minnesota or are current residents who served at least 181 consecutive days on active duty.

The spouse of an eligible veteran who is at least 55 years old and meets residency requirements may also be eligible.

The applicant must also be able to demonstrate a medical or clinical need for admission. Residents contribute to the cost of their care according to their means.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit: https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/state.asp?STATE=MN

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Fort Snelling National Cemetery
7601 34th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55450
Burial Space: Open

State Veterans Cemeteries:

Leech Lake Veterans Cemetery
16477 69th Ave. NW
Cass Lake, MN 56633
VA Grant Funded: Yes
Minnesota State Veterans Cemetery – Duluth
4777 Hwy 53
Duluth, MN 55811
VA Grant Funded: Yes
Minnesota State Veterans Cemetery – Little Falls
15550 Hwy 115
Little Falls, MN 56345
VA Grant Funded: Yes
Minnesota State Veterans Cemetery – Preston
715 Highway 52
Preston, MN 55965
VA Grant Funded: Yes

Burial is open to all veterans with an other-than-dishonorable discharge.

Veterans are interred free of charge; dependents may pay a small fee.

Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Minnesota Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Taxes

Visit the following website to discover all of the tax credits and relief options for veterans, visit the following website: https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/credit-past-military-service

Minnesota offers many tax benefits to military members and their families. If you are serving or have served in the military, you may qualify for tax relief. We will cover a few exemptions in the next few sections; however, this is not an exhaustive list.

Military pay, retirement pay and SBP (Survivor Benefit Plan) payments are tax-free.

To receive the tax exemption on these payments, you must file a tax subtraction form.

Visit the link below for a link to the most recent tax Subtraction form: https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/subtractions-and-deductions

Tax Credit for Past Military Service

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/credit-past-military-service

Veterans may qualify for past military service credit if their Minnesota adjusted gross income is less than $37,500, they have separated from military service before the end of the year, and one of these is true:

  • You served at least 20 years in the military
  • You have a service-connected disability rating of 100% total and permanent as rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
  • You were honorably discharged and receive a pension or other retirement pay for service in the military

If you are a part-year or nonresident, you may qualify for the credit based on the percentage of your income taxable to Minnesota.

NOTE: You may not claim this credit if you claim a subtraction for military retirement pay.

Tax Credit for Service in a Combat Zone

If you served in a qualifying combat zone (or hazardous duty area) and are a resident of Minnesota, you may qualify for a $120 tax credit for each month you served there. You can qualify for this benefit even if you owe no tax.

Eligible areas:

  • Afghanistan
  • Kosovo
  • The Arabian Peninsula
  • former Yugoslavia
  • The Sinai Peninsula

There is a 3½ year statute of limitations to claim the credit from the date of returning from a combat zone.

Surviving family members may also apply for this benefit.

NOTE: You may not claim this credit if you claim a subtraction for military retirement pay.

Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exclusion

For more information, visit the following website: https://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/ss/ssdvhve.pdf



Veterans who are 100% P&T (including Individual Unemployability) can have the market value of their home (homestead) that is subject to property taxes reduced.

There are 2 levels of this Exclusion:

  • Up to $300,000 of market value is excluded from property taxes for:
    • Veterans who have a service-connected disability rating of 100% permanent and total (including permanent Individual Unemployability)
    • Surviving spouses of qualifying veterans and service members
    • Qualifying Primary Family Caregivers of permanently and totally disabled veterans
  • Up to $150,000 of market value is excluded from property taxes for:
    • Veterans with 70% or greater service-connected disability
    • Qualifying Primary Family Caregivers of veterans with 70% or greater service-connected disability.

Applications are available at your County Assessor’s office

Application deadline: July 1st of each year (Annual refiling is required.)

Note: Qualifying spouses must apply within 2 years of the veteran’s death.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Find your local tax assessor at this link: https://www.publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Assessor-and-Property-Tax-Records.htm

Short Term Financial Assistance (Subsistence Assistance)

For more information, visit the following websites: https://mn.gov/mdva/resources/familyassistance/financialassistance.jsp and https://mn.gov/mdva/assets/2020-04-02-subsistence-assistance-overview_tcm1066-426403.pdf

The subsistence program provides temporary financial assistance with housing, utility, insurance, and other expenses.

The purpose of Subsistence Assistance is to provide financial assistance to a Veteran or surviving spouse when they are disabled and prevented from working at their usual/normal occupation for at least 30 days or without a disabling medical condition within one year of the Veteran’s death.

The benefit is income and asset based and is designed to assist veterans for up to six months for those who are unable to work due to a temporary disability, or who are permanently disabled and are waiting to receive federal government benefits.

Surviving spouses may also be eligible for this benefit without a temporary disability if they apply within the first 12 months of their spouse’s death.

Subsistence Assistance provides help with:

  1. Shelter associated payments (rent / mortgage / room & board / property taxes / association dues / homeowners’ insurance)
  2. Utility Assistance (i.e., electric, gas, propane, water, sanitation/sewer, cell phone, internet, etc.)
  3. Healthcare Insurance Premiums
  4. Personal Needs Funds (Cash grant)

How to Apply:

An eligible applicant must apply for Subsistence Assistance through their County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO). You may find your CVSO by going to https://www.macvso.org/find-a-cvso.html.

Subsistence Assistance is open to receive applications year-round.

Special Needs Grant

Visit the following website for more information: https://mn.gov/mdva/assets/2020-04-02-special-needs-grant-overview_tcm1066-426401.pdf

Provides one-time financial assistance to a veteran or surviving spouse to assist in financial stability and prevent homelessness. Grants may be awarded to provide such things as housing costs and repairs, medical expenses, auto repairs etc.


  • A veteran as defined by MN Statute 197.447, or the surviving spouse (who has not remarried) of a deceased veteran, and
  • A Minnesota Resident, and
  • Can demonstrate a financial need that cannot be met with existing income and assets

Note: Two veterans married to each other are entitled to their own separate Special Needs Grants

Financial assistance is paid directly to the creditor or vendor providing services.

Financial assistance is not reimbursed to the applicant or an applicant’s family member.

How to Apply:

An eligible applicant must apply for a Special Needs Grant through their County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO). You may find your CVSO by going to https://www.macvso.org/find-a-cvso.html.

Dental Care

Visit the following website for more information: https://mn.gov/mdva/resources/healthdisability/dentalassistance.jsp

Veterans AND dependents can receive routine dental, extraction, and denture procedures. This benefit is income and asset based, and upon MDVA approval of eligibility you and your dependents may receive up to $1,000 for annual routine dental care paid to your choice of providers.

If your dental provider determines that dentures are necessary, MDVA will issue an additional denture authorization for up to $3,000 of once-per-lifetime benefits, and if needed, an additional once-per-lifetime extraction authorization for up to $2,000 specifically for tooth extractions in preparation for the dentures.

NOTE: This benefit is income and asset-based.

If you qualify for this benefit, you may be eligible for other state Veterans benefits, to include optical, special needs grants and disaster relief.

Please contact your County Veteran Service Officer for assistance or more information on this and other benefits. Find your CVSO at www.macvso.org or by calling 1-888-LinkVet (546-5838

Optical Assistance (Vision Care)

For more information, visit the following website: https://mn.gov/mdva/resources/healthdisability/opticalassistance.jsp

Optical benefits are provided on an annual basis to Veterans AND their dependents who are approved for eligibility.

Once approved, the veteran and their dependents may receive up to $400 paid to your choice of providers for annual eye exams and prescription eyewear, to include contact lenses.

This benefit is income and asset-based.

If you qualify for this benefit, you may be eligible for other state Veterans benefits, to include dental, special needs grants and disaster relief.

Please contact your County Veteran Service Officer for assistance or more information on this or other benefits. Find your CVSO at www.macvso.org or by calling 1-888-LinkVet (546-5838), MDVA’s one-stop customer service line for all Minnesota Veterans and their families.

Minnesota Veteran Employment Benefits

MN Veterans Preference Act

Visit the following websites for more information: https://mn.gov/mdva/resources/employment/statelaws.jsp and https://mn.gov/mmb/employee-relations/equal-opportunity/veterans/

MN Veterans Preference Act (VPA) grants veterans a limited preference over non-veterans in hiring and promotion for MN public employment and also provides protection against unfair dismissals and demotions. VPA grants veterans the right to a hearing, prior to dismissal.

A disabled veteran can receive a 15-point preference for local government positions.

Spouses of deceased Veterans or disabled Veterans who cannot qualify because of their disability, may also choose to receive extra points.

Minnesota Veteran Education Benefits

Minnesota offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list: https://mn.gov/mdva/resources/education/

MDVA’s Higher Education Veterans Program

Visit the following website for more information: https://mn.gov/mdva/resources/education/higheredveteransprograms.jsp

provides staff at colleges and universities throughout Minnesota to help identify and remove barriers to Veterans’ enrollment and access to benefits, as well as to create and manage campus Veterans resource centers.

Higher Education Veterans Program coordinators help schools establish Veteran friendly policies and procedures.

They can also help with things like:

  • Payment extensions while awaiting properly applied for educational benefits
  • Military transfer credit
  • Veteran resident status
  • Options for withdrawal from classes due to deployment

For more information call 1-800-456-8519 or +1 (651) 556-0596 (international) or 1-800-627-3529 TT.

Minnesota GI Bill

Visit the following website for more information: https://mn.gov/mdva/resources/education/minnesotagibill/

The Minnesota GI Bill Program provides a maximum benefit of $10,000. Eligible participants can use the benefit in Higher Education, On-the-job training (OJT)/Apprenticeship or License and Certification.

The Minnesota GI Bill is available to:

  • Minnesota veterans who served honorably in any branch of the military at any time
  • non-veterans who served honorably for a cumulative total of five years or more as a member of the MN National Guard or any other active or reserve component and had active service after Sep. 11, 2001
  • eligible spouses, surviving spouses, and children of permanently and totally disabled veterans who are eligible for the Federal GI Bill (DEA, Fry Scholarship).

Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $1,000 per semester

Part-time students can receive up to $500 per semester (up to $3,000 per academic year and $10,000 per lifetime).

OJT and Apprenticeship individuals are eligible for up to $2,000 per fiscal year for either program. Approved employers are eligible to receive $1,000 placement credit payable upon hiring a person under this program and another $1,000 after 12 consecutive months of employment.

Recipients must be a Minnesota resident under the age of 62, and enrolled at a Minnesota institution.

For more information, contact a LinkVet specialist or MDVA staff member:

BY PHONE: 1-888-LinkVet (1-888-546-5838) TTY: 1-800-627-3529

BY EMAIL OR LIVE CHAT: MinnesotaVeteran.org MyMilitaryEducation.org

Surviving Spouse & Dependent Education Benefit

Visit the following website for more information and applications: https://mn.gov/mdva/resources/education/survivingspousebenefit.jsp

The Surviving Spouse and Dependent Education benefit is for spouses and dependents, including adopted and step-children, whose veteran spouse and/or veteran parent died while on active duty, or as a result of a service-connected condition.

The veteran must have been:

  • A resident of Minnesota when they entered the military, OR
  • Have been a resident of Minnesota for at least six months prior to passing away due to a service-connected disability.

Applicants must:

  • Be Minnesota residents, AND
  • The spouse cannot be remarried. (There is no age limitation for eligible survivors.)

Surviving spouses and dependents can get a bachelor’s degree without paying tuition. They also get $750 per year for fees, books and supplies, and/or room and board.

The benefit is available at MN state schools or private schools in the state.

An eligible applicant may apply for this benefit by accessing the application and submitting directly to MDVA or by applying with your school’s Veteran’s Coordinator. You may also contact your County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO) for assistance. You can find your CVSO here.

Minnesota Veteran Recreation Benefits

The hunting and fishing benefits to active-duty members and veterans are very generous, but specialized licenses such as bear, deer, waterfowl, etc. may require fees not listed here. Always check the current MN DNR regulations before hunting or fishing.

Minnesota State Park Vehicle Permits

Veterans with any level of service-related disability may obtain a free annual state park permit.

Bring paperwork proving eligibility to the state park to receive the park permit.

You do not have to be a Minnesota resident to qualify.

Resident Disabled Veterans Hunting & Fishing License

For more information, visit the following website: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/military/print.html#:~:text=Resident%20Veterans,anyone%20age%2016%20and%20over.


Minnesota Resident Veterans who:

Firearms Safety Training

  • Individuals who have completed basic training in the United States armed forces, reserves, or National Guard may obtain a hunting license or approval authorizing hunting even if they haven’t been issued a firearms safety certificate. Individuals only qualify for this exemption from the firearms safety requirement during the time they are active duty. Once discharged or no longer active duty they must complete a firearms safety training course if they were born after December 31, 1979. These individuals may be exempt from the field day component of the classroom or home study course by providing proof of basic training, i.e., discharge papers (DD214), or current military identification to the instructor of the course.  Firearms safety information can be found at:  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms_isa/index.html
  • An apprentice hunter validation may be used in place of firearms safety certification. The validation can only be used in Minnesota, and can only be purchased twice. Those using this exemption must hunt with a licensed hunter whose license was not obtained using an apprentice hunter validation. For more information, see the apprentice hunter validation page on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/safety/apprentice/index.html.