Maine State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Maine State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits- Maine

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the Maine Bureau of Veteran’s Services website for more detailed information:

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit:

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:


South Paris, Maine


Machias, Maine


Bangor, Maine


Scarborough, Maine


Admission shall be granted only to honorably discharged veterans who were residents of Maine at the time of their entry into the United States Armed Forces or who are residents of Maine at the time of application, and to the spouses, widows or widowers, and gold star parents of
eligible veterans, provided that suitable facilities are available.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Acadia National Cemetery

1799 U.S. Route 1

Jonesboro, ME 72404

Burial Space: Closed





Togus National Cemetery

VA Medical & Regional Office Center

Togus, ME 4330

Burial Space: Closed





Mount Pleasant Cemetery Soldiers’ Lot

North Street

Augusta, ME 04330

Burial Space: Closed





State Veterans Cemeteries:

Central Maine Veterans Cemetery

Civic Center Drive

143 Blue Star Avenue

Augusta, ME 04330

VA Grant Funded: Yes





Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians Veterans Cemetery

88 Bell Road

Littleton, ME 04730

VA Grant Funded: Yes





Maine Veterans Memorial Cemetery – Mt. Vernon

163 Mt. Vernon Road

Augusta, ME 04330

VA Grant Funded: Yes





Northern Maine Veterans Cemetery

37 Lombard Road

Caribou, ME 04736

VA Grant Funded: Yes





Southern Maine Veterans Cemetery

83 Stanley Road

Springvale, ME 04083

VA Grant Funded: Yes





Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Maine Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Visit the following website for more information:

Maine Military Retired Pay Income Taxes:

Maine does not tax military retired pay.

Thrift Savings Plan does not withhold taxes for state or local income tax, but it is reported annually on IRS Form 1099-R. All TSP distributions are subject to state taxes and early distributions may incur higher taxes.

Maine Income Taxes on Military Pay:

Military pay received by a Maine resident Service member serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces who is stationed outside of Maine is exempt from state income tax.

Maine Nonresident Military Spouse Income Tax Exemption:

Eligible nonresident military Spouses do not have to pay Maine income tax for wages earned in Maine.

Maine Income Tax on Military Disability Retirement Pay:

Military Disability Retirement Pay received as a pension, annuity or similar allowance for personal injury or sickness resulting from active service should not be included in taxable income. Some of the payments which are considered disability benefits include:

  • Disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid to Veterans or their Families
  • Grants for homes designed for wheelchair living
  • Grants for motor vehicles for Veterans who lost their sight or the use of limbs
  • Benefits under a dependent-care assistance program

Maine State Taxes on DIC:

DIC is a tax-free monetary benefit paid to eligible survivors of Service members who died in the line of duty or eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-connected injury or disease.

Maine State Tax Exemption for Military Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)/ Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan (RCSBP)/ Retired Serviceman’s Family Protection Plan (RSFPP):

SBP, RCSBP and RSFPP annuities are not taxed in Maine.

Maine State Tax Benefits for Service Members Serving in a Combat Zone:

Maine follows many of the federal tax rules for pay received by a Service member who is serving in a combat zone (receiving hostile fire and imminent danger pay).

  • Pay that is excluded from federal adjusted gross income because it was earned while serving in a combat zone is also excluded from Maine income tax.
  • Service members who die in a terrorist act, in combat or because of injuries received in combat, are exempt from Maine taxes for the year that they died, any previously paid taxes are refunded.

Maine Financial Benefits

SaluteME & Salute Home Again Home Loans

For more information, visit the following website:

The Maine State Housing Authority offers active-duty troops, veterans, and military retirees a 0.5% discount on mortgages through the SaluteME or the Salute Home Again program.

Mortgage loans are available with little or no down payment.

Household income and home purchase price limits apply; however, most Maine households and homes are eligible for the program. Limits can vary depending on how many people live in your household and where the home you plan to buy is located.

Most types of homes qualify for a Maine Housing mortgage, including:

  • New and existing single-family homes.
  • Owner-occupied, 2- to 4-unit apartment buildings.
  • Condominiums
  • Permanently attached mobile homes built within the last 20 years and located on owned or leased land.

Property Tax Exemption

Visit the following website for more information:

Maine offers a variety of property tax exemptions to qualifying veterans.

Veteran Exemption – A veteran who served during a recognized war period and is 62 years or older; or, is receiving 100% disability as a Veteran; or became 100% disabled while serving, is eligible for $6,000.

Paraplegic Veteran – A veteran who received a federal grant for a specially adapted housing unit may receive $50,000.

All applications and supporting documents must be submitted to the municipal assessor by April 1 st each year.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Find your local tax assessor at this link:

Property Tax Fairness Credit

In 2022, the Maine Legislature enacted an expanded benefit for veterans through the Property Tax Fairness credit. While this benefit is based on the property tax paid by veterans, the benefit is administered through the individual income tax.

Eligible Maine taxpayers may receive a portion of the property tax or rent paid during the tax year on the Maine individual income tax return whether they owe Maine income tax or not. If the credit exceeds the amount of your individual income tax due for the tax year, the excess amount of credit will be refunded to you.

For more information, see the Property Tax Fairness credit.

Maine Veterans’ License Plates, Decals and Fee Exemptions

Visit the following website for more information:

The Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) provides fourteen different veteran plates, many of which are registration fee or excise tax exempt. The plates range from a veteran plate available to all honorably discharged veterans, to custom plates for Purple Heart recipients and disabled

Disabled Veteran Plate:

Veterans with a 100% permanent and total, service-connected disability are exempt from one registration fee, title fee, and driver license renewal fee.

Applicants must provide their DD214 to prove veteran status, as well as their VA ratings letter to confirm their service-connected disability.

Veterans Emergency Financial Assistance

For more information, visit the following website:

Maine veterans who experience an emergency and do not have sufficient savings or access to other financial assistance to resolve the emergency may be eligible for up to $2,000 in assistance.

Examples of qualifying emergencies are:

  • Damage to the veteran’s home due to fire, flood or hurricane that is not covered by insurance;
  • Illness of the veteran or family member that results in hardship;
  • Assistance to prevent or resolve the veteran being homeless;
  • Any other condition that puts the veteran at risk of not having the basic necessities of food, shelter, or safety.

For more information, or to request financial assistance, contact one of the following organizations:

Maine Bureau of Veterans’ Services


American Legion

VEFAP application:

Fedcap – Veterans Forward

Veterans Forward:
VEFAP application:

Maine Veteran Employment Preference

For more information, visit the following website:

Veterans and Gold Star spouses who meet the minimum qualifications for a job with the state will automatically receive an interview.

If a veteran applies for a State job and is not ultimately hired for that job, it is the policy of the Bureau of Human Resources to provide guidance to that veteran on other State of Maine openings for which that veteran may be qualified to apply.

If you are a Veteran who has applied for a State job and were not selected, and you would like some guidance on State of Maine openings for which you may be qualified to apply, please contact the Bureau of Human Resources at (207) 624-7761.

Veteran Assistance at Maine’s Career Centers

To find a Career Center near you, please visit: Maine Career Centers.

All of Maine’s Career Centers have staff whose sole purpose is to help veterans find jobs. As part of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Veterans’ Employment and Training Services (VETS), each Career Center has a Disabled Veterans’ Outreach Program (DVOP) representative and a Local Veterans’ Employment Representative (LVER), who offer expert advice in translating military skills to civilian job descriptions, as well as provide general employment and training services to Maine’s veterans.

Through the DVOP and LVER programs, veterans and eligible spouses are given priority for:

  • Job searching strategies and resources
  • Resume development assistance
  • Identification of training and educational opportunities
  • Help with applying for funding for training

Maine Education Benefits

Maine offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list:

Veterans Dependents Educational Benefits

Maine provides a 100% waiver of tuition and all mandatory fees for spouses and dependents of qualifying veterans.

Veterans must meet the following criteria:

Has a 100% total permanent disability rating resulting from service-connected disability. Or who

  • Was killed in action;
  • Died from a service-connected disability as a result of service;
  • At the time of death was totally and permanently disabled due to a service-connected disability, but whose death was not related to the service-connected disability; or
  • Is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty who has been listed for more than 90 days as missing in action, captured or forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power.

“Veteran” means any person who served in the military or naval forces of the United States and entered the service from this State or has been a resident of this State for five years immediately preceding application for aid and, if living, continues to reside in this State throughout the duration of benefits administered under the educational benefits program.

Schools covered under this program include the University of Maine System, Maine Community Colleges, and Maine Maritime Academy.

Spouses have 10 consecutive years to complete the program. Children have six consecutive years.

**In order to be eligible for benefits under this subsection, a student must apply for a Federal Pell Grant under 20 United States Code, Section 1070a **

For more information and to apply for the program, please click on the links below:

Brochure (PDF)

Application (PDF)

State of Maine Guard Tuition Assistance

Visit the following website for more information:

If you serve in the Maine National Guard, you may be eligible for full tuition at a state college or university. The benefit includes both part-time and full-time enrollment and may be used to earn a bachelor’s degree, an associate’s degree, or certificate and licensure. This does not include
books, housing, lab fees, or other mandatory fees. To be eligible you must:

  1. Have completed basic training or received a commission,
  2. Enter into a written contract to serve in the Maine National Guard for at least one year after you get this benefit
  3. Apply for all other tuition benefits, such as:
    • Federally funded military tuition assistance;
    • Employer tuition reimbursements or assistance; and
    • Federal grants, such as a Federal Pell Grant.

You are not eligible if you:

  1. Have a bachelor’s degree or its equal,
  2. Have nine or more unexcused absences from Unit training, or
  3. Fail to complete the entire period of annual training in a twelve-month period without authorization.

You can use this benefit to earn up to 130 credits. If you receive other tuition assistance, this benefit goes down by that amount. For example, if you receive a Pell Grant, the amount of money the Pell Grant gives you is taken from the amount you can get with this benefit. You will
still receive full tuition, but not extra. This does not include any money to help pay for housing or other costs.

Maine Veteran Recreation Benefits

Maine Resident Free Lifetime Veteran State Park and Museum Pass

Visit the following website for more information:

A free day use pass to state parks, historic sites, and museum will be issued to eligible Maine veterans.

Eligibility is as follows:

DD214 must determine that the following criteria are met:

  • The person is a resident of Maine; and
  • The person received an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions.

A pass issued under this section does not expire and is valid for the lifetime of the holder.

If you are a veteran that meets the above criteria and would like to apply for a park pass, please click the link below for an application, which you must print, complete, and return to the following address along with a copy of your DD214.


Veteran Park Pass Application (PDF)

Mail completed application to:

Maine Bureau of Veterans’ Services
117 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0117

The application processing time once received is approximately 2 to 3 weeks.

Please note that Maine veterans aged 65 years or older will not be issued a park pass as they are automatically entitled to free admission as a Maine senior citizen.

Hunting & Fishing Licenses for Disabled Veterans

For more information, visit the following website:

A disabled veteran who has a service-connected disability of at least 50% can get a free license to fish, trap and hunt. This includes archery, muzzleloader, bear, migratory bird, pheasant, spring/fall wild turkey, coyote night hunt, crossbow, one expanded archery antlerless deer permit, and upon meeting the qualifications, a license to guide.

This license is available to residents of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Texas and any other state that has reciprocal agreement with Maine. MUST SHOW COPY OF DRIVER’S LICENSE OR PROOF OF RESIDENCY.

The license(s) remains valid for the life of the holders as long as they continue to meet residency requirements.

Note: Holders of this license no longer need to obtain the additional permits each year as they are now included as part of the license. They must still apply for any lottery permits such as moose and antlerless deer.

These licenses can be obtained at Maine Bureau of Veterans Services Central Office located at (Camp Keyes) 194 Winthrop Street Augusta, ME 04333 or by emailing or calling 207-430-6035. Their business hours are 7:30am to 4:00pm Monday through Friday.

Licenses can also be obtained by completing and mailing in the application form (PDF).

Veterans’ Park Pass

Visit the following website for more information:

Maine Resident Veterans may get a lifetime park pass from the Bureau of Veteran Services.

Contact them by phone at 207-287-7020 or e-mail at

Maine Residents Only Day Use Shelter Reservation Fees Family Camping Group Camping
100% Maine Disabled
Veteran (DV) DV License
Plate*, or; Letter from
DMV * For DV Plate
application details call
the Bureau of Motor
Vehicles: 207-624-9000 ext.
100% DV, Spouse
and unmarried
children are exempt
from fees.
All others in vehicle
are subject to regular
day use entrance fees.
DV must be present.
This can be verified by
matching the name on
the DV’s ID with the
vehicle’s registration.
100% DV, Spouse and
unmarried children in
Group are exempt
from fees.
Members of the group
that are NOT DVs are
responsible for the
reservation fee and
subject to all regular day
use fees. Note:
Reservation fee must be
received within 10 days
to complete reservation.
100% DV, Spouse
and unmarried
children are
exempt from
reservation and
camping fees.
State Parks Rules
dictate no more
than 6 individuals
on a family site.
DV must be
present for the
duration of the trip.
Only 100% DVs in
Group are
exempt from
reservation and
camping fees.
When a DV makes
a group camping
reservation, his/her
DMV letter must
be faxed or mailed
If the group is
comprised of only
DVs, then all fees
will be waived
upon presentation
of their DMV
Members of group
that are NOT
DVs are
responsible for the
reservation fee
and subject to all
regular group
camping fees.

Active-Duty Military Hunting and Fishing Licenses

For more information, visit the following website:

Active-duty Maine residents and their dependents can buy a discounted hunting, fishing, or combination hunting and fishing license.

Hunting and Fishing Licenses for Non-Resident Active-Duty Members

For more information, visit the following website:

Military members stationed in Maine, as well as their dependents, can pay the resident fee for a hunting, fishing, or trapping license.