Kansas State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Kansas State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits – Kansas

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including: https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/kansas-state-veterans-benefits.html

Visit the Kansas Commission on Veterans Affairs for more detailed information: https://kcva.ks.gov/

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit: https://www.nasvh.org/state-homes/statedir.cfm

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:

Preference for admission is given to War-time veterans who have been Honorably Discharged. Peace-time Veterans, spouses, surviving spouses and/or Gold Star parents may be admitted on a space available basis.

Determination of charges is based on the ability to pay. While there are no income and net worth limitations, all applicants will need to disclose their income and net worth. No veteran will be denied admission because of lack of income or excessive income. A waiver is available for  veterans that do not wish to release financial information, but who are willing to pay the maximum monthly charge for the level of care needed.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit: https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/state.asp?STATE=KS

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery
395 Biddle Boulevard
Fort Leavenworth, KS 66027
Burial Space:
Cremation Only

Fort Scott National Cemetery
900 East National Avenue
Fort Scott, KS 66701
Burial Space:

Leavenworth National Cemetery
150 Muncie Road
Leavenworth, KS 66048
Burial Space:


State Veterans Cemeteries:

Kansas Commission on Veterans’ Affairs Office
700 S.W. Jackson Street, Suite 1004
Topeka, KS 66603
VA Grant Funded:

Kansas Veterans Cemetery at Ft. Dodge
11560 U.S. Highway 400
Dodge City, KS 67801
VA Grant Funded:

Kansas Veterans Cemetery at Ft. Riley
5181 Wildcat Creek Road
Manhattan, KS 66503
VA Grant Funded:

Kansas Veterans Cemetery at Wakeeney
403 South 13th, P.O. Box 185
Wakeeney, KS 67672
VA Grant Funded:

Kansas Veterans Cemetery at Winfield
1208 North College Street
Winfield, KS 67156
VA Grant Funded:


Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Kansas State Cemeteries accept veterans who received an “other-than-dishonorable” discharge, guard and reservists with at least 20 years of qualifying service, or those who die on active duty are eligible for burial.

Dependents are also eligible for burial. There is no fee for veterans or their dependents, and there is no Kansas residency requirement.

Kansas Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.ksrevenue.gov/faqs-taxii.html#retirement

Military retired pay that is included in federal adjusted gross income is not taxed in Kansas.

DIC payments and SBP payments are also tax-free.

Military Disability Retirement Pay received as a pension, annuity or similar allowance for personal injury or sickness resulting from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces should not be included in taxable income. Some of the payments which are considered disability benefits include:

  • Disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid to Veterans or their Families
  • Grants for homes designed for wheelchair living
  • Grants for motor vehicles for Veterans who lost their sight or the use of limbs, or
  • Benefits under a dependent-care assistance program.

Homestead Act

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.ksrevenue.gov/faqs-taxhomestead.html or; https://www.kansas.gov/webfile/

Customers who need help are encouraged to call the Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center at 785-368-8222.

The Kansas Department of Revenue offers a Homestead Refund for Disabled Veterans, their Surviving Spouse and the Surviving Spouse of a Service member killed in the line of duty.

The Homestead Refund is a rebate program for the property taxes paid by homeowners. The refund is based on a portion of the property tax paid on a Kansas resident’s home. The appraised value of the home cannot exceed $350,000 and the maximum refund is $700.

Basic Eligibility:

Veterans must be Kansas residents, honorably discharged, and have at least a 50% service-connected permanent disability.

Surviving spouses may also eligible until they remarry.

How to File:

Veterans should file using the document titled: Homestead Refund Claim (K-40H)

  • Complete a Kansas Homestead Claim (K-40H) between Jan. 1 through April 15.
  • Do not file your homestead claim prior to Jan. 1.
  • You can file your claim electronically at: https://www.kansas.gov/ssrv-homestead/login.html.
  • If any due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, substitute the next regular workday.

The following list of documentation is required for all claims:

  • Birth dates and verification of Social Security numbers (SSNs) for the claimant and all household members born before Jan. 1, 2018. SSN verification can be a social security card or an official government document containing the FULL social security number. ***No copies****
  • Photo ID for the claimant.
  • Current tax year real estate tax assessment statement from the county treasurer and/or current tax year property tax form (for mobile homes or modular homes).

This list of documentation will be required if it applies to your situation:

  • Claimants that qualify by disability will need to show documented proof of their disability date.
  • A copy of your current tax year federal and/or state income tax return if you have one.
  • A copy of your prior year federal and/or state income tax return if you have one.
  • Proof of all income (taxable and nontaxable) for all household members which may include, but is not limited to, the following: W2 forms and tax documents for pensions, social security income, SSI payments, and food stamps.
  • VOIDED check or deposit slip with bank routing and account number for direct deposit.

Contact your local VSO officer for additional assistance.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Annual refiling is required.

Find your local tax assessor at this link: https://www.publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Assessor-and-Property-Tax-Records.htm

Kansas Disabled Veteran Plate

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.ksrevenue.gov/dov-disabledvet.html

Disabled veterans rated at 50% or above with the VA are eligible for a Disabled Veterans License plate with no registration fee.

There are 2 types of disabled veteran license plates available.

  • Kansas offers a license plate with the international wheelchair emblem available to disabled veterans that can provide the proper validations.
  • For a disabled veteran who does not meet the criteria of a disabled citizen or who chooses only to meet the qualifications for a disabled veteran, there is a disabled veteran plate without the international wheelchair emblem.

To qualify you must:

  • Be a Kansas resident or a member of the military who is not a Kansas resident and is stationed at a Kansas military base or office.
  • Have served in the armed forces of the United States and are entitled to compensation for a service-connected disability of at least 50% according to the laws administered by the veterans administration, or
  • Be entitled to compensation for the loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both feet or one or both hands, or for permanent visual impairment of both eyes to a prescribed degree, or
  • Be responsible for the transportation of a Disabled Veteran who meets the qualifications above.
  • Vehicle must be titled in Kansas in the name of the applicant or the leasing company from which the applicant is leasing the vehicle.
  • The Application for Disabled Veterans License Plate, form TR-103, must be completed and signed by both the Disabled Veteran and the Regional Director for the Veterans Administration prior to making application. The form is on the web at: https://www.ksrevenue.gov/pdf/tr103.pdf.

Steps to obtain the plate:

  • Make application and submit the completed and signed Application for Disabled Veterans License Plate form at your local county treasurer’s motor vehicle office.
  • If the applicant currently has a Kansas Disabled Veteran plate, a copy of the registration receipt for the plate may be presented in lieu of the Application for Disabled Veterans License Plate, form TR-103.
  • Proof of valid insurance must be present at the time of application.

Fee for Disabled Veteran plate:

  • There is no registration fee for the initial Disabled Veteran plate at the time of application or renewal. Property tax must still be paid for the vehicle to which the free Disabled Veteran plate is issued.
  • Additional Disabled Veteran plates may be issued, however, standard registration fees and property taxes are due for the vehicles to which the additional Disabled Veteran plates are issued.

Military Distinctive License Plates

Many other Military distinctive plates are offered by the state of Kansas.

Visit the following website for links to the requirements for each: https://www.ksrevenue.gov/dovplates.html

You may make application for a Kansas distinctive military license plate by meeting the qualifications outlined in the Kansas Statutes Annotated listed below. Applications should be presented to your local County Treasurer’s office.

Distinctions Available:

Kansas State Veteran Employment Benefits

Veterans State Employment Preference

Visit the following website for more information: https://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/sec-home/vp

Any veteran with a campaign medal, a service-connected disability, retired as an O-3 or below, or the spouse of a 100% disabled veteran can get veterans preference for a state job.

Veterans’ preference guarantees an interview and to consideration for the position.

A job opening will clearly state that the vacancy is “Veterans Preference Eligible (VPE)”. In this case, the hiring agency will provide preference to qualified individuals throughout their selection process. The posted opening will provide qualifications, performance standards, and the process to be used for selection.

Kansas State Education Benefits

Kansas offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

If you have a question regarding a state-funded student financial aid program (i.e. scholarship status, address update, etc) please direct your inquiry directly to: scholars@ksbor.org.

College Credit for Military Service

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.kansasregents.org/students/military/college-credit-for-military-service

Kansas colleges offer service members and veterans college credit for education, training, and skills acquired while in the military.

Postsecondary credit may be available for other military learning based upon an institutional review of your Joint Services Transcript (JST) or DD-214.

Check with each institution for more information.

Tuition Payment for Survivors of Those Killed in The Line of Duty

The tuition at state universities, community colleges, or vocational technical colleges is free for dependents of Kansas residents who are killed in the line of duty while on active duty or in the Kansas National Guard. Tuition assistance is also provided for former Prisoners of War.


  • Child, adopted Child or Child in the custody of a Veteran of the Vietnam conflict that dies from a service-connected disability they incurred in Vietnam is eligible.
  • The Veteran must have entered the U.S. Armed Forces from Kansas for their child to be eligible.

For more information students should contact their educational institutions admissions office, or the Kansas Board of Regents.

Kansas Military Service Scholarship

Visit the following website for more information: https://www.kansasregents.org/students/student_financial_aid/scholarships_and_grants

The Kansas Military Service Scholarship is available for the payment of tuition and fees at a public Kansas institution for resident veterans that meet the eligibility requirements.


  • Veteran served in military service in international waters or on foreign soil in support of military operations for which the person received hostile fire pay for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, or served less than such 90 days because of injuries during such military service.
  • Veteran has received an honorable discharge or under honorable conditions (general) discharge from military service or is still in military service; and
  • Veteran has provided copies of military discharge papers (DD-214 form) or active-duty orders whichever such paper or order indicate the location of such person’s deployment and indicate the person has served after September 11, 2001, in any military operation for which the person received hostile fire pay.

Because financial need is a priority in awarding this scholarship, students will need to file a FAFSA form.

Once the school considers a veteran to be a graduate status student, they are not eligible for this scholarship.

Please Note: Individuals who are also using Ch. 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits or Ch. 31 Veterans Readiness & Employment benefits should carefully consider how the Kansas Military Service Scholarship may affect those benefits. Students can still receive their Ch. 33/Ch.31 monthly housing allowance and book stipend; however, we encourage students to talk with their school’s military-affiliated centers/staff about how to maximize all their entitlements.

Priority Date: May 1.

Kansas Hero’s Scholarship

The Kansas Hero’s Scholarship Act is a waiver which allows eligible dependents and spouses of certain deceased or disabled military servicemembers to attend a public Kansas postsecondary educational institution without payment of tuition and required fees.

The student will be responsible for all other charges associated with the student’s academic program. This waiver is only available for undergraduate coursework.

Each eligible dependent or spouse may qualify for tuition and fee waivers for a total of ten (10) semesters of undergraduate instruction.


Dependents or spouses of a current or former military servicemember, provided that the servicemember is a current resident of the State of Kansas (or was a resident of the State of  Kansas at time of death) AND falls into one of the following categories:

  • Died because of active military service on or after September 11, 2001, OR
  • Is entitled to compensation for a service-connected disability of at least 80% because of
    injuries or accidents sustained in combat after September 11, 2001, OR
  • Became injured or disabled on or after September 11, 2001, because of active military service, and that injury or disability rendered them incapable of performing both the duties of the servicemember’s position at the time the injury or disability was sustained and the duties of any position that is at or above the pay level of the servicemember’s position.

Applicants are encouraged to submit their completed form and required documentation as soon as they know which eligible school they will be attending.

This is not a competitive scholarship.

All applicants who submit their completed form and required documentation by the deadline and are determined by the Kansas Board of Regents to be eligible for the scholarship will receive the scholarship beginning the semester for which they submitted their application on time.


  • Fall Semester: December 1
  • Spring Semester: May 1
  • Summer Semester: July 1

PLEASE NOTE: Individuals who are also using Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits should carefully consider how the Hero’s scholarship may affect those benefits. We encourage students to talk with their school’s military-affiliated centers/staff about how to maximize all of their entitlements.

Operation Recognition

Visit the following website for more information and applications: https://kcva.ks.gov/veteran-services/state-benefits

Operation Recognition awards qualifying WWII and Korean War veterans with Honorary High School Diplomas.


  • All “Honorably” Discharged veterans who served in WWII between September 16, 1940 and December 31, 1946, and Korean War veterans who served between June 27, 1950 and January 31, 1955, who did not graduate from High School are eligible.
  • Those who have obtained their diploma but entered service before they could participate in their graduation ceremonies are also encouraged to apply.
  • Diplomas can be awarded posthumously.

Required Paperwork

  • Application for “WW II and Korean War Veterans” High School Diploma (Operation Recognition Form)
  • Copy of “Honorable” Discharge papers attached to application
  • Discharge papers may be requested through the local County Registrar Office or through Military Archives, 2722 SW Topeka Blvd, Topeka, KS 66611. Requests submitted on Standard Form 180 (1 MB PDF) only. (KANSAS ONLY)

For additional information, contact: Kansas Commission on Veterans’ Affairs Office

  • 700 SW Jackson, Ste. 1004 Topeka, KS 66603
  • Phone: (785)296-3976
  • Fax: (785)296-1462
  • E-Mail: KCVA.Webmaster@ks.gov

Kansas Veteran Recreation Benefits

Free Hunting & Fishing Licenses

Visit the following website for more information and applications: https://ksoutdoors.com/

National Guard Members and 30% or greater disabled Kansas resident veterans can get free hunting and fishing licenses.

The application and accompanying documents should be mailed in. Processing takes about 2 weeks.

Annual filing is required.

The following link is for the Hunting, Fishing and Park Vehicle Permit: https://ksoutdoors.com/content/download/49393/501767/file/dvetApp.pdf

Discounted State Park Admission

Visit the following website for more information: https://ksoutdoors.com/State-Parks/Park-Fees Or https://ksoutdoors.com/License-Permits

Kansas residents age 65 or older or persons with disabilities who display a state issued special license plate or placard can buy a special park vehicle permit directly from a KDWP office or vendor.

Including processing fees, the cost will be $13.75 for annual vehicle park permits or $3.25 for regular daily permits.

Or, you can purchase the Kansas State Parks Passport at the regular rate during the vehicle registration process.

Birth/Marriage/Death Certificates

Visit the following website for more information: https://kcva.ks.gov/veteran-services/state-benefits

Veterans can receive free copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates and death certificates when they will be used for VA purposes.

Requests for these free documents should be made through the Kansas Commission on Veterans Affairs Office.