Indiana State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Indiana State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits- Indiana

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs for more detailed information:

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit:

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:

The Indiana Veterans Home in West Lafayette provides nursing and domiciliary care for any honorably discharged Veteran who has resided in Indiana for at least 12 months prior to admission. The home is open to both veterans and their spouses. There is a fee.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans Cemeteries:

Crown Hill Columbarium Annex
725 West 42nd Street
Indianapolis, IN 46208
Burial Space:
Cremation Only

Marion National Cemetery
1700 East 38th Street
Marion, IN 46952
Burial Space:

New Albany National Cemetery
1943 Ekin Avenue
New Albany, IN 47150
Burial Space:
Cremation Only


State Veterans Cemeteries:

Indiana State Soldiers Home Cemetery
3851 N. River Road
W. Lafayette, IN 47906
VA Grant Funded:

Indiana Veterans Memorial Cemetery
1415 North Gate Road
Madison, IN 47250
VA Grant Funded:


Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Indiana Financial Benefits

Income Tax

Up to $5,000 of active-duty pay is tax-free.

Up to $6,250 plus 25% of retired pay and SBP payments are tax-free in 2019. That will increase to 50% in 2020, 75% in 2021 and 100% for tax years after 2021.

Disabled Veteran Property Tax Deduction

For more information, visit the following website: and

Property tax deductions are available to resident disabled veterans who have an honorable discharge. This amount is deducted from the value of your home for tax purposes, leaving you with a smaller property tax bill.

Indiana offers several tax deductions that can be combined in a combination of ways. We recommend contacting your local tax assessor to learn more.

The following is a helpful table to aid with which deductions you may be eligible for:

  • A $24,960 dollar deduction is available to wartime veterans who have at least a 10% VA disability.
  • Up to a $14,000 deduction is available to veterans who are at least 62 with at least a 10% VA disability OR have a VA total disability. This deduction is only available if the assessed value of the property owned by the veteran is less than $200,000.
  • Veterans who served during wartime and are at least 62 years old with a 10% service-connected disability rating OR have a permanent and total service-connected disability rating at any age AND whose home’s assessed value is $200,000 or less, can receive both property tax deductions for a total of $38,960.

Surviving spouses may be eligible to receive these deductions as well.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Annual refiling is required.

Find your local tax assessor at this link:

Disabled Hoosier Veteran License Plate

Visit the following website for more information and applications:

Disabled veterans may qualify for fees to be waived on a Disabled Hoosier Veteran Plate.

Eligibility includes:

  • The Veteran must be 50% service-connected disabled with at least 60% of that disability attributed to a mobility disability
  • OR the service-connected disability precludes the Veteran from walking without pain or difficulty.
  • If it is unclear that your service-connected disability is causing you pain or difficulty while walking, a signed doctor’s letter may be required.

Effective July 1, 2018, a person who has been issued or is otherwise eligible for the Disabled Hoosier Veteran License plate can obtain a Permanent DHV parking placard from the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles. This parking placard does afford the same no fee at legal metered spaces parking privileges as the Disabled Hoosier Veteran License Plate.

Note: Veterans can obtain a plate or a placard for each registered vehicle they own.

Contact your local DMV for required documentation and applications.

Military Family Relief Fund (MFRF)

Visit the following website for more information:

The MFRF emergency grant may be used by the families for needs such as food, housing, utilities, medical services, transportation and other essential family support expenses which have become difficult to afford. A grant up to $2,500 may be awarded.


  • Must be an Indiana resident.
  • The veteran must have an honorable, under honorable conditions, or certain other than honorable discharge codes.
  • The applicant must prove genuine financial hardship. Financial hardship must be reflected in applicants’ income, spending habits, or emergency condition.
  • The household income cannot exceed 2 times the US federal poverty guidelines.
  • There is a lifetime limit of $2,500.00 of assistance available to each veteran. Under some emergency circumstances requests for amounts more than the lifetime limit, the Indiana Veterans’ Commission may review and decide to award an applicant additional money.
  • The department may close out an incomplete application if all required documentation is not received with thirty (30) days of initial submission.

Indiana Employment Benefits

State Employment Veterans Preference

Indiana offers veterans preference in state government jobs for honorably discharged veterans.

Military CDL Skills Waiver Program

For more information, visit the following website:

The BMV may waive the required drive skills test for veterans with specific training and were truck drivers during their military service when they apply for an Indiana Commercial Driver’s License.

Peddlers, Vendors, or Hawkers License

Honorably discharged veterans may receive a vending license for free.

See your county Auditor for more information on the necessary documents and application process.

Next Level Veterans Program

For more information, visit the following website:

The state will help you apply for a job with dozens of corporations, and if hired will pay you $5,000 to relocate to Indiana. Check out their website for more information.

Grants for Veterans Services Award Recipients

Visit the following website for more information:

Indiana veterans have access to numerous nonprofit organizations that provide various types of assistance. Some examples include: assistance for homeless veterans; transportation assistance, legal services; short term financial assistance; motorcycle workshops; employment opportunities.

Indiana Education Benefits

Indiana offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list:

Free Tuition for Children of Disabled Veterans

Visit the following website for more information and application process:

Paper applications are no longer accepted. Use the following link to a ScholarTrack to apply:

Indiana offers free or discounted tuition at state schools to children of disabled veterans, Purple Heart Recipients and their children, and children of former POW/MIA.

The veteran must have:

  • joined the military from Indiana or been a resident of Indiana for 5 years before they or their children can apply
  • served in a wartime period (including August 2, 1990 – present) or
  • received a Purple Heart Medal

Coverage differs for the children of veteran’s that served on or before June 30th, 2011, and those that served on or after July 1st, 2011.

The child student can be as old as 32 years of age but must not have reached their 33rd birthday when first applying for the benefit. Adopted children must have been adopted before their 18th birthday.

If the veteran is at least 80% disabled, the discount is 100%; if the veteran is rated at less than 80% disability the discount is the rated disability plus 20%.

Note: Every Campus has a Veteran’s Liaison that can provide more information and assistance.

High School Diploma Program for WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam Veterans

For more information, visit the following website:

Veterans who served between:

  • April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918 (World War I)
  • December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946 (World War II)
  • June 27, 1950 and Jan 31, 1955 (Korea)
  • or Aug 5, 1964 and May 7, 1975 (Vietnam)

may apply to the Indiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs for issuance of a high school diploma.

Veterans must have:

  • attended public or nonpublic high school in Indiana prior to military service
  • been a student in good standing
  • not graduated or received a diploma because of leaving high school for military service
  • and been honorably discharged from the armed forces of the United States

Veterans, or their surviving spouses or eligible family members, may submit application to the Department of Veteran Affairs.

Indiana Veterans Recreation Benefits

State Parks

For more information, visit the following website:

A Hoosier Golden Passport provides unlimited admission to all Indiana State owned parks, recreation areas, reservoirs, and forests on an annual basis. It is NOT valid for historic sites, museums, memorials, and other Department of Natural Resource (DNR) facilities. The pass is good for one calendar year.

Persons eligible for a Disabled Hoosier Veteran license plate may purchase the annual Hoosier Golden Passport at DNR facilities around the State at a 50% reduced cost. If you have Disabled Hoosier Veteran plates on the vehicle simply drive to the gate and the attendant will sell you the annual Hoosier Golden Passport. If you do not have the plate on the vehicle but have state form 32584 signed by IDVA that determines your eligibility you can show this form.

Former Prisoners of War will receive their Hoosier Golden Passport in the mail after their plates are issued. If you do not receive yours in a reasonable time, or have other plates on your vehicle but are entitled to POW plates, contact the Department of Natural Resources at 1-800-622-4931.

Hunting And Fishing Licenses for Disabled Veterans

Visit the following website for more information:

Any Indiana resident who has a service-connected disability with the VA can buy an Indiana hunting & fishing license for a reduced fee.

The license sells for $2.75 and covers the hunting of small game as well as fishing, excluding any stamps. Or you can buy a 10-year DAV license for $27.50. This covers the same as above for a total of 10 hunting/fishing seasons.

DAV license is for small game hunting or fishing only.

Additional stamps can be purchased to affix to your DAV license.

Note: Your first DAV License must be purchased at the IDNR Customer Service Center or an IDNR property. Afterward, online purchases can be made for future licenses.

You may contact the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, at (317) 232-4200 or the Indiana Department of Veteran Affairs, at (317) 232-3910.

Burial Allowances

Each county auditor is authorized to pay up to an amount not to exceed $100 for the burial of a veteran or the veteran’s spouse, and to pay up to $100 for the setting of a federal headstone. Veterans must have received an honorable discharge, and an application must be filed with the county auditor in the county of residence.

To locate your local County Auditor, visit the following website: