Delaware State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Delaware State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits – Delaware

No Video

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the Delaware Commission of Veterans Affairs website for more detailed information:

Veterans Homes

For more information, visit:

Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.

Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.

Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.

Veterans Homes Locations:

The Delaware Veterans Home in Milford is open to veterans who were Delaware residents for at least three years prior to application, had at least 180 days active duty, were reserve/guard members eligible for retirement pay at 60, and require a nursing home level of care.

State Veterans’ Cemeteries

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans Cemeteries: No National Cemeteries are currently located in Delaware

State Veterans Cemeteries:

Delaware Veterans Memorial Cemetery – New Castle County
2465 Chesapeake City Road
Bear, DE 19701
VA Grant Funded:

Delaware Veterans Memorial Cemetery – Sussex County
26669 Patriots Way
Millsboro, DE 19966
VA Grant Funded:


Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Delaware Veteran Financial Benefits

Pension Benefits for Paraplegic Veterans

A paraplegic veteran can receive a pension from the state of $3,000 per year. The veteran must file evidence with the Pension Office stating that they are paraplegic and fully disabled and the disability is a direct result of their wartime military service.

Link to Delaware State Code:

  • Paraplegic, has no voluntary control over either leg
  • Rated by the VA as totally disabled
  • Disability is a direct result of wartime service in the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Delaware resident.

Contact the Delaware Office of Pensions for more information at 800-722-7300.

Income Tax

Up to $2,000 of military retirement and SBP (Survivor Benefit Plan) payments are tax-free if under age 60. For those 60 or older, the amount is $12,500.

It is wise to consult with a tax professional to learn the most recent updates to state tax code, especially if there are changes to your tax bracket, income status, or benefits.

Disabled Veterans School Tax Credit

Visit the following website for more information and applications:

Qualified persons may be eligible for a tax credit against 100% of non-vocational school district property tax. This credit may only be used against property taxes assessed on a primary residence. Applications for the upcoming tax year are due April 30th.


  • Receive 100% disability compensation due to service-connected, permanent and total disability based on individual unemployability or a 100% disability rating from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (USVDA) and
  • Have held legal domicile in Delaware for the past 3 years.

Documents needed:

  • A valid driver’s license or official state ID
  • Documentation of USDVA disability
  • A Copy of their Social Security card

Individuals may NOT claim both the Disabled Veterans School Tax Credit and the Senior School Property Tax Credit.

Taxpayers must pay their property tax bill in full by the end of each tax year to qualify for this credit in a subsequent property tax year.

Application Link:

Once you qualify for the program, you do not need to re-apply each year.

The amount of the credit will be deducted from your property tax bill before it is mailed to you by the county.

The application for the credit should be submitted to the county in which you reside.

Consult the local assessor’s office for detailed requirements regarding these exemptions.

Find your local tax assessor at this link:

Disabled Veteran Combined Special License Plate

Visit the following website for more information and application:

A special license plate is available to those veterans who are eligible for both the Disabled American Veteran designation and the universally-recognized symbol for those requiring special parking accommodations. This benefit allows the veteran to park in a disabled parking space without having to go through a separate application process.

Disabled veterans that are 85 years of age or older only need to provide proof of age to obtain a DAV-HP Plate.

Registration and Inspection of Motor Vehicles of Disabled Veterans

A motor vehicle owned by a disabled veteran who is eligible for ‘adaptive equipment’ benefits (which includes, but is not limited to power steering, power brakes, power window lifts, power seats, and special equipment necessary to assist the eligible person into and out of the automobile or other conveyance) shall be exempt from the payment of registration fees (limited to one automobile per eligible veteran at any one time).

Contact your local DMV office for the documentation required to apply for this benefit.

Notary Service for Veterans

The Office of Veteran’s Services provides no fee notary service for veterans, dependents and their families.

Copy of Death Certificate

The State Registrar shall furnish a certified copy of a veteran’s death certificate for no fee to the next of kin acting on behalf of the veteran for settlement of the veteran’s affairs.

Delaware Veteran Employment Benefits

State Employment Veterans Preference

Visit the following website for more information and needed documentation:

When applying for state jobs, an additional ten points are given to disabled veterans and five points given to all other eligible veterans. Any preference points for which a veteran would qualify may be claimed by his or her unmarried widow, widower, spouse of a member of the armed forces who is POW or MIA, or spouse of a veteran who is totally disabled.

All forms must be dropped off at one of the Department of Human Resources (DHR) offices or faxed to (302) 739-2327 by 4:30 p.m. on the business day following the closing date on the posting.

License and Permits for Military Spouses

Visit the following website for more information:

Military spouses relocating to Delaware are given a six-month temporary occupational license. The temporary license will allow the spouse to obtain employment in their discipline, pending application for endorsement or reciprocity.

Delaware Veteran Education Benefits

Delaware offers a wide variety of Educational Benefits to resident veterans and their dependents.

State Educational Benefits can be used in conjunction with the National Educational Benefits (DEA)

Visit the following link for a full list:

Children of Deceased Veterans

Visit the following link for more information and applications:

Children of military members who was killed while on active duty or who died from disease, wounds, injuries or disabilities arising or resulting from performance of duty as well as children of POW/MIA members are eligible for up to four years of free college. The college need not be in the state of Delaware.

The child must be between 16 – 24 years old and a resident of Delaware for at least three years prior to the date of application.

Delaware Veteran Recreation Benefits

State Park Admission

For more information, visit the following website:

Delaware Military Pass

Delaware offers a reduced cost annual pass by 50% for military members who are permanent residents of the State of Delaware.

You may purchase a Delaware Military Pass if you are:

  • a permanent resident of the state of Delaware and
  • one of the following:
  • An active-duty military member serving honorably in the Armed Forces of the United States or in the Delaware National Guard
  • A veteran who was honorably discharged
  • A military retiree who served honorably for 20 or more years

Hunting, Trapping and Fishing License for Active-Duty Military

Active-duty members stationed in Delaware pay the resident rate for a license.

Hunting, Trapping, and Fishing License for Disabled Veterans

Visit the following website for more information:,to%204%20weeks%20for%20processing.

Veterans with a VA disability rating of 60% can get a free license.

Veterans with at least a 60% service-connected disability rating are eligible for a veteran license exemption.

Qualified applicants must complete the Veterans with Disabilities Exempt Application and submit it directly to the Division of Fish and Wildlife. Please allow up to 4 weeks for processing.

Link to application: