Alabama State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

Alabama State Benefits for 100% Disabled Veterans

100% State Benefits – Alabama

Note: Information for this document was gathered from various sources including:

Visit the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs Website for more detailed information:

Alabama State Veterans Homes

For more information, visit:
Your eligibility for State Veterans Homes is based on clinical need and setting availability.
Each State establishes eligibility and admission criteria for its homes.
Talk with a VA social worker about the eligibility requirements of State Veterans Homes near you and to figure out a plan for paying for State Veterans Home care services.
Veterans Homes Locations:

There is a monthly fee for the veterans homes, you must have an honorable discharge and at least one day of wartime service to qualify for admittance.

Alabama Veterans Cemetery

For more detailed information visit:

National Veterans’ Cemeteries:

Alabama National Cemetery Alabama National Cemetery 3133 Highway 119
Montevallo, AL 35115
Phone: 205-665-9039
FAX: 205-665-7790
Fort Mitchell National Cemetery 553 Highway 165
Ft. Mitchell, AL 36856
Phone: 334-855-4731
FAX: 334-855-4470

State Veterans Cemeteries:

Alabama State Veterans Memorial Cemetery at Spanish Fort 34904 State Highway 225
Spanish Fort, AL 36577
Tony Ross, Cemetery Director
Joseph S. Buschell, Assistant Cemetery Director
Phone: 251-625-1338
FAX: 251-626-9204

Many states have established state veterans cemeteries. Eligibility is like Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries but may include residency requirements. Even though they may have been established or improved with Government funds through VA’s Veterans Cemetery Grants Program, state veterans cemeteries are run solely by the states.

Alabama Tax Benefits For Veterans

Property Tax for Homes of Totally Disabled Persons Over Age 65

Any Alabama residents is exempt from ad valorem taxes on their home and adjacent 160 acres of land if they are permanently and totally disabled OR 65 years of age or older. There is not income limitation for an individual with a Permanent and Total Disability rating, regardless of age, while there are income limitations for those who qualify based on age alone.

Contact your county office to apply for a Homestead exemption.

Find your local tax assessor at this link:

Visit the following site for more details:

Property Tax for VA Specially Adapted Houses

Any veteran who has a home that was acquired under the VA’s specially adapted housing grant is tax exempt if it is owned and occupied by the veteran or their surviving spouse.

Motor Vehicle Paid for by VA Grant

Any disabled veteran who owns a vehicle which was paid for by the VA will pay no license fees or ad valorem taxes on it.

Business License

Any disabled veteran with at least 25% disability may be exempt from business or occupational license taxes.

Alabama Veteran Employment Benefits

State Employment

All honorably discharged veterans can have 5 points added to any state employment examination scores. Those with a VA service-connected disability will get 10 points added to their score.
Spouses and surviving spouses of certain disabled or deceased veterans can have the 10-point preference extended to them and added to any test scores.
Veterans also get preference over non-veterans with the same ratings on the classified service employment registers.

Alabama Veteran Education Benefits

Tuition Waiver for Purple Heart Medal Recipients

Purple Heart recipients may be eligible for free education at Alabama public institutions of higher learning including two-year and four-year technical colleges, community colleges, and junior colleges. Check with your school to see if they participate in the program.

Alabama GI Dependents Scholarship Program:

More information:

The state of Alabama will waive up to $250 per semester hour and $1,000 for books each semester at any Alabama institution of higher learning including two-year and four-year technical colleges, community colleges, and junior colleges.
Note: All scholarships and grants must be applied to education expenses first (unless otherwise prescribed by state law) and the Alabama G.I. Dependent Scholarship Program will be applied for any permissible remaining charges pursuant to current state law.
Children and stepchildren of qualified veterans may receive five standard academic years (10 semesters) at any Alabama State-supported institution of higher learning or a prescribed course of study at any state–supported technical college to be used for undergraduate courses of study at the in-state tuition rate.
Spouses or un-remarried surviving spouses of veterans rated 100% permanently and totally disabled can also get five years of benefits.
The veteran must have had an honorable discharge and at least 90 continuous days of military service, there are residency requirements.

Alabama National Guard Education Assistance Program (ANGEAP)

The Alabama National Guard Education Assistance Program (ANGEAP) provides tuition assistance to eligible National Guard Service members. For the 2019-2020 school year the maximum amount is $5,406 per semester. You can only be paid what costs you have after any federal GI Bill payments are made. Only tuition and fees are covered, not books or living expenses.
You must be over 17, active in the AL Guard, an Alabama resident, show financial need and maintain at least a 2.0 GPA. Undergraduate degrees only.

Alabama Veteran Recreation Benefits

State Parks

Active duty and honorably discharged veterans who are residents of Alabama are granted free admission to state parks.

Discounted Fishing License

Alabama resident veterans who are at least 20% disabled can get a discounted freshwater fishing license.

Disabled Veteran Special Hunting License

A special hunting license is available to 100% service-connected veterans at a cost of $2 plus the applicable issuance fee.
A special hunting license is available to 50% service-connected veterans at half of the usual cost plus the applicable issuance fee.

Retired Military Pistol Permit

A pistol permit is available for free to individuals who are otherwise eligible for a pistol permit and who retired from active duty the Reserves, or National Guard.